Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:57AM

About 3 days ago we got a Fundraiser in the mail troop xxx they will put up an american flag 4 times a year for $40. Make checks payable to the xxx ward.

I kid you not! I thought the lds church is no longer involved in the BSA?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 12:20PM

I was told this is their last year, though it seems some wards have abandoned scouts early.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:22PM

who gets the $40?
what do they do with it?

What's this got to do with flags?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:43PM

The scouts have American flags mounted on poles that they stick in your lawn on certain days.

I think out here it's memorial day, 4th of July, 24th of July and veterans day.

At the end of the day they gather them up.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:27PM

If I pay the $40, do I get to pick the days?

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 07:42PM

No they pick the 4 days and if there is a rainy day it will be replaced by another day. Back when we were active my husband was the Scoutmaster. We had 40 flags in our garage and had our own flag route. We put the flags up on a Wednesday before the holiday and put the flags down the next Wednesday. So our flags were up for a week each time. Not sure how the money was handled what % went to the ward and what % went to SLC? The checks were made payable the the ward.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 02:26PM

I could spend the $40 on my own flag and put it when I want to.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 02:55PM

How much is a flag at DI or GW? SArmy or Saver's?

What other thrift stores are there in-around SLC?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 03:14PM

GNPE1 raises the key question: how much of that money goes to the boys' program? Do they need to send it to SLC and hope for a "modest stipend" back?

Posted by: chprro ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 12:10PM

It stays at the ward. Goes into their other funds account and helps pay for YW, YM, Scouts, etc... They are only allowed 1 fundraiser a year. Our ward made more on flags each year than any other attempt at the fundraisers, so all the money went back to the youth. No stipend back

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 04:21PM

on days the flag is planted in the lawns. You are awakened by a pounding on metal at about 6 a.m. Any other flag makes it obvious you aren't one of the in crowd. I'm being facetious.

The year I was living in Colorado and my ex moved in here, he paid the money to have the scouts put in the flag. It is of note that I often saw the leaders doing the work. Not the scouts.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:00PM

my ward is no longer doing the flag fund raiser thing. they are having a combined effort with the young women. it appears they need 5000.00 to do all the things they want to do, slc is not giving anywhere near that amount. they are having a dinner and silent auction. all the old flags are going to be sold at the dinner. i'm glad the wife is no longer interested in such things.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:38PM

It is a good indicator of the members on my street. Over the years, there have been fewer and fewer flags planted in the lawns around the neighborhood.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:24PM

If it was still the Mormons I'd tell them I feel more patriotic if I put it up myself. Then chase them down the street.

If it wasn't, I'd give them the money and a nice tip.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:53PM

Two years ago, my husband was working out in the front yard. A couple of scouts and scout leaders came by and asked my husband if the home owner was home. My husband decided to jerk them around a little and replied that the owner was out of town, but they could leave the flyer on the porch. They did, and right afterwards, we bought our own flag pole and U.S. flag, along with a Scandinavian flag representing part of my heritage. We fly those now :)

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:26AM

We were just expected to participate in that when we lived in Utah Valley. Our ward, as you can imagine, was about 4 blocks square. Each house had a secured post in the grass for them to put the flag in. At first I didn't know that people were paying for that. They came around on the holidays and put the flags in the slot on almost EVERY house and then came and picked them up. I found out later that the only houses they didn't leave a flag in were inactive/non/ex members who had specifically told them to stay off their property.

So then they come around collecting money for it. I told them no way was I going to give them $40 or whatever it was--it was about that--when I had not asked to have a flag put in my yard. I was a single mother and that was a big deal for me. They were like "well, we put a flag at your house, you're expected to pay." I said, "when my son goes on scout activities, I have to come up with money for more things he needs. I need to keep my money for that, it's good enough support for scouts for me." I felt badly for the boys because they were young kids who just assumed every active person in the ward just pays up.

Nothing more was ever said and as long as I lived there I still got a flag. No skin off my teeth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.