Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:34PM

My one weekend fling in Paris included a tour of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Of course an impressive beautiful edifice, if you like that kind of thing.

Breaking news tells of a fire in the cathedral, flames shooting out of the roof. I haven't heard yet of a suspected cause. I don't know how they will stamp it out. Seems like a daunting prospect. From the video it looks like a big event. Tourists and onlookers gather.

Damage to historical structures as well as paintings and valuable objects hurts. Hope all people are OK.

ETA: Oh no. Now they are using words like "catastrophic" and "engulfed in flames". I don't even know if the firefighters have arrived yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 01:38PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:47PM

Live feed, CBS News via YouTube:

https://youtu.be/xGbmWOfdXcQ

Date: April 15, 2019 02:52PM

Live feed via CBC news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/notre-dame-cathedral-paris-fire-1.5098604

Absolutely devestating, heartbreaking.

With the wood interior already engulfed, I hope to heaven as much of the art work within is being saved.

Date: April 15, 2019 03:17PM

What is Civilisation?

Kenneth Clark in front of Notre Dame:

https://twitter.com/cdp1882/status/1117851840471654400?s=21

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:03PM

It's the early evening right now in Paris. There is remodeling going on up on the roof.

There is a worker at home right now wondering if that last cigarette he flicked away could be the cause of what he's watching on TV.

He's doing his best to convince himself, "nope, couldn't have been..."

Date: April 15, 2019 02:04PM

EOD: Could you imagine? How would you feel? Wow.

One onlooker who called into our CBC station said that all that was holding up the spire was the scaffolding. Obviously that can't last in such an inferno.

Date: April 15, 2019 02:03PM

Iconic Paris site. Gothic architecture. Likely gone.

They're saying they don't know yet if all the visitors and staff would have had time to get out.

There are always huge lines to get in and crowds inside.

So many people have massed outside the emergency vehicles and personnel are having trouble getting in.

Even someone across the river said they could feel the heat.

Nightmare.

And with their high holiday days upon them: Easter Friday coming up.

Funny how humans can grow fond of buildings. For me, it's the history and the work that went into creating such an edifice.

What is Paris without the Cathedral? The loss of the iconic spire will change the skyline, undoubtedly.

Can you imagine the cost to rebuild?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:05PM

It's heart breaking.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:06PM

This is so sad to have such a historical building damaged. I hope the rose windows are not near the flames.

They have been renovating for a long time (I think?). I wonder what exactly is burning? I hope it was not caused by a malicious cause.

Thinking of Paris and all the beauty there.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:24PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:55PM

It’s getting worse by the minute. Europe is full of century old historic buildings; I know remember something of this caliber happening. They’re always renovating something.
We were in London when St Paul’s cathedral was being renovated.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:26PM

It's a terrible tragedy. They're not spraying the whole thing so as to avoid heat stresses in an attempt to protect the stained glass windows - the rest they could rebuild (the original stones and new wood, mainly) but the windows would be a terrible loss...

I'm at home with my family, including the Peruvian contingent, over for a holiday, plus my BIL.

We're all close to tears. It's one of the multiple hearts of Paris and certainly the oldest.

It's going to be weird when I go back to work on Wednesday...

Tom in Paris

Date: April 15, 2019 03:32PM

Thanks for checking in, Tom. I thought of you right away when I saw the news, as you're the only person I "know" in Paris. Have you heard that everybody got out safely? I am working so can't watch the coverage ongoing.

Having spent even one weekend in Paris and touring the Cathedral I feel even worse about it than I might have anyway. I was deathly ill on that weekend jaunt but just had to hit the high points anyway and forced myself to go to the Louvre and Notre Dame at least. Worth the effort.

Yes, the windows.

On another note, how lovely to be visiting with your family.

All the best to you.

Posted by: Susan I/S NLI ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 09:03PM

Thinking of you Tom. This is heartbreaking for the whole world.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:30PM

How sad for the whole world. A piece of art history was lost today that's irreplaceable.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:36PM

My heart is breaking... this can't be happening.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:57PM

Oh, wow. "This can't be happening" about covers it for me too. It is literally unbelievable. My mind is just saying No right now.

It will be rebuilt, and I expect the whole world will participate. But that will be a story for the future. Right now, horror. Next, grieving for a huge symbol of the early roots of modern Europe.

Date: April 15, 2019 04:17PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It will be rebuilt, and I expect the whole world
> will participate. But that will be a story for the
> future.

I hope not. Better would be a modern light & glass and historical multimedia installation on a monumental scale. Debate will rage.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:00PM

If it's any consolation, I read that the spire that burned was constructed in the 19th century. The original spire built in the 13th century had been severely damaged over time from the elements and had to be removed and recreated. Hopefully the plans are still available and it can be reconstructed once again.

Just trying some positive thinking.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:03PM

Quasimodo was careless with matches.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:09PM

An historic church in my town went up in flames when they were working on the roof. A blow torch sparked something, right when they were almost completed.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:27PM

Greyfort Wrote:
> An historic church in my town went up in flames
> when they were working on the roof. A blow torch
> sparked something, right when they were almost
> completed.

That is the Hell of it. Roofs, just like everything else, can not be repaired with out using blow torches. The blow torches are brought in, because they have to be used for needed repairs. The blow torches are used, and the next thing that happens, everything is on fire, instead of just the thing that the blow torch was repairing.

Date: April 15, 2019 04:12PM

Via Reuters and CBC, from the firefighters on the ground, efforts are now focused on getting the remaining artwork out of the building. But very difficult.

Paris fire chief does not know if this fire can be stopped from spreading. North tower on fire, spreading to south tower. Note: across the narrow street are houses with gas lines etc.

Notre Dame survived the Revolution sacking and two devastating world wars, but not, apparently, modern day restoration.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:32PM

Human Wrote:
> Via Reuters and CBC, from the firefighters on the
> ground, efforts are now focused on getting the
> remaining artwork out of the building. But very
> difficult.
>
> Paris fire chief does not know if this fire can be
> stopped from spreading.

Well, NOT if blow torches are still in operation.

> North tower on fire,
> spreading to south tower. Note: across the narrow
> street are houses with gas lines etc.

Hopefully there are not any blow torches in those adjacent structures and houses.

> Notre Dame survived the Revolution sacking and two
> devastating world wars, but not, apparently,
> modern day restoration.

Damn blow torches!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:02PM

My parents were there in 1980 on a BYU tour. They loved Notre Dame and it's historical and architectural significance.

Date: April 15, 2019 05:22PM

Too bad it’s not raining there

Posted by: bona DEA unregistered ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:44PM

I just read on FB that Al Asqa mosque in Jerusalem is burning too.Hope that I a rumor. I have been to both. Horrible

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:56PM

Newsweek confirms fire in the Al Aqsa compound:

https://www.newsweek.com/notre-dame-fire-aqsa-mosque-1397259

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:57PM

bona DEA unregistered Wrote:
> I just read on FB that Al Asqa mosque in Jerusalem
> is burning too.Hope that I a rumor. I have been to
> both. Horrible

There was an unsuccessful attempt to burn Al Aqsa mosque in 1969. The perpetrator was caught, convicted, and found to be insane.

There does not appear to be any attempt to burn it going on now, and if this rumor were true, it would be major news inside of Israel, and throughout the world.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 06:02PM by Tevai.

Posted by: bona DEA unregistered ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 06:04PM

I hope you are right

Date: April 16, 2019 03:20PM

It was finally mentioned this morning in the Jerusalem Post:

https://www.jpost.com/

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 05:22PM

Newsweek is usually reliable and The Jerusalem Post mentioned it later..It seems to have been small which is good. That is probably why it didn't get much mention. I turned into MSNBC to hear about the Mueller report and there was nothing but Notre Dame most of the day.

Date: April 15, 2019 06:16PM

I think they already took it out.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 06:20PM

Just awful. It's one of the world's most iconic pieces of architecture. The rose window is incomparable. They will rebuild, but it will be long and painful. Just before Easter, too.

My guess is that the fire is related to the renovation.

"Glenn Corbett, an associate professor of fire science at John Jay College in New York, said there is a history of churches, synagogues and temples going up in flames during renovations — as workers use torches or welding or cutting equipment that could be sources of ignition."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/notre-dame-fire-the-structure-of-the-cathedral-has-been-saved-police-chief-says/ar-BBVXM4v?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 07:01PM

Thanks, Tom. It's a disaster.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 07:04PM

Real thing or not, it's been saved from the flames:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/crown-of-thorns-notre-dame-cathedral-fire-jesus-relic-destroy-damage-interior-a8871581.html

Notre Dame is one of the greatest buildings in the world -- what a tragedy for humanity. Hope it's rebuilt.

Date: April 15, 2019 07:35PM

BBC World News showed some interior images of the ruined cathedral: a very large section of the vaulted ceiling collapsed under the weight of the falling roof debris - but the entire ceiling is not down (at least yet).

Date: April 15, 2019 08:54PM

I hope they find the people .

Date: April 15, 2019 09:03PM

I think you misplaced this. I think you're answering my "they have a HUNCH on who did it" post...

HUNCH...

Date: April 15, 2019 09:55PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I think you misplaced this. I think you're
> answering my "they have a HUNCH on who did it"
> post...
>
> HUNCH...

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha Si mi amor... we both had a "hunch" about it. hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 10:32PM

Can you imagine that 50 acres of medieval old growth forest were cut down (by hand in those days) and each huge tree was one roof support? 50 acres. Just to support the roof!!! Even if they want to rebuild this they will never be able to do it the same way again.

I am glad that some of it was saved. But you’ll never be able to look at that stained glass and know it was from hundreds of years ago. The only good thing about this is the attention will, and already has, attracted donations, since it desperately needed repairs.

It’s sad that things are often not valued till they are gone, such as old buildings, or wildlife or wilderness areas. :(

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 12:16AM

hard for me to watch any video, I love paris and enjoyed my time in the notre dame. I know they are always renovating it for the last 20 years. a lot and time and effort and now it's all ruined. I will try to avoid this heartbreaking story

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 12:31AM

Most of the relics and artwork were removed. Here is a current photo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CaYD1o4

I visited in '98 and lit a candle for my recently deceased Grandfather (was still sorting out my cradle Catholicism at the time). but replacing that primeval growth oak ceiling will be nigh on impossible.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:19AM

It's because I didn't appreciate flying buttresses enough.

Date: April 16, 2019 01:29AM

What did you do in the Big War, Grandpa?

I flew buttresses, kiddo.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 12:06PM

It is interesting that efforts to raise the money for the renovations were at best difficult. Since the fire it has been reported that they are inundated with donations for restoration, including more than $500 million from a group of wealthy donors. JMV view but not the prettiest of buildings from the outside but seen as iconic and representative of Paris the city perhaps more than as a religious symbol there.

Date: April 16, 2019 03:24PM

I wonder to what extent, if any, structural steel might be used to replace some of the wooden structure? Naturally, weight is a major concern.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:49PM

I will ask my brother about that. He was an engineer and a builder of large projects for many years.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:59PM

Heard on CBS radio today that a few years ago the entire Notre Dam was gone over with lidar--every nook and cranny. If true, the record of that could serve as a guideline for rebuilding.

Also, as of 4/16 it looks like the rose windows survived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 07:00PM by Phantom Shadow.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:10PM

Actually, it looks like an accident linked to some renovation works some contractor was doing up under the eaves.

Terrible all the same. As far as I know, there were no casualties, just a few works of art (which is sad, but...).

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 05:11PM by Soft Machine.

Date: April 15, 2019 07:35PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> Actually, it looks like an accident linked to some
> renovation works some contractor was doing up
> under the eaves.

Yes, that is likely the case; but it is beside the concern I expressed in my deleted post.

I used the verb “pinned-on”, which does not necessarily have any connection with facts or even reality itself.

Already examples of my concern are flaring up in mainstream media, and there is a large population of people, here and on your side of the Atlantic, well-primed to believe narratives confirming the concern I expressed, alas and forever alas.

I will never under-estimate the ability to exploit and the vulnerability to be exploited. Exmormonism teaches at least that much.

Date: April 15, 2019 07:58PM

Authorities in France have probably received a number of communiqués in which the senders, each representing a different organization, claim credit for starting the fire. And then make demands, or "...we'll do it again!"

Date: April 15, 2019 08:37PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Authorities in France have probably received a
> number of communiqués in which the senders, each
> representing a different organization, claim
> credit for starting the fire. And then make
> demands, or "...we'll do it again!"

That is so desperately sick and sad to know there are people like
that in our world.

Date: April 15, 2019 08:46PM

Even worse, mi amor, the authorities are devasted by clues they discovered: they now are following up on a hunch as to who it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.