Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:35AM

I am in a rotten mood.

A beggar just asked me for a hamburger.

"No."

"Please?"

"I said no."

Will every one of my good deeds of the past be deleted?

I need to know, fast.

Please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:45AM

"Even as ye have done it unto the least of these my children, ye have done it unto me."

You're totally screwed...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:55AM

It depends. Are you Hindu? Then you definitely shouldn’t be buying anyone hamburgers.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:01PM

Yeah, you're eternally damned. Unless......there isn't a god, or there is a god, and that god doesn't mete out infinite punishment (or infinite rewards) for finite actions or inactions.

So.....if there is a god and he/she/it is a petty, evil, unjust immoral monster, you're in trouble. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:05PM

Just three months in purgatory listening to GC talks 24/7.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 11:53AM

Snort! I choked on my coffee! I think four months with GA talks would be for something REALLY bad.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:05PM

I work surrounded by pan handlers. We are advised not to give them money. Once a pair of pan handlers asked me to take them to an expensive restaurant and get them something to eat. I declined.

The next day on my daily walk I saw one of them behind a building drinking a beer. I won't say I was vindicated. Begging is a terrible profession and possibly the drinking helps. But I can't say that giving anything to pan handlers I see daily is being good. Karma may get me though.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 01:07PM

My wife once followed a panhandler home. He lived in a better house than she did, and that was a nice 4-bedroom home.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 04:58AM

I'm an Aussie and I know that Pan Handler means a Bum -is that right?-but where does the name Pan Handler come from?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 11:30AM

No one seems to know, and neither do I.....but I’d like to venture a guess. Maybe a derisive term for a dishwasher?? Maybe because they had to supplement their income thru begging? I dunno, just a guess. Maybe Wiki knows.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 11:48AM

Panning for precious metals from humans instead of dirt.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:08PM

How anyone would want to worship a being who would do such a thing is beyond me.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:16PM

Everyone here at Rfm is bound not only for hell, but OUTER DARKNESS!

We said DENIED to LDS Inc., and its version of Casper the Holy Ghost.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:21PM

I bought the missionaries hamburgers. They weren't begging. Will it be me or them that goes to hell? I really must know!!!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:24PM

Hamburgers are poison--full of artery-clogging fats and carcinogens.

You did him a life-saving favor ... "how great shall be your reward."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 12:29PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:30PM

He would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 01:42PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
> today.

LOLOLOL! I forgot about Wimpy!

Posted by: Jesus ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:34PM

That beggar was Jesus Christ himself, posing and disguised as a beggar. Didn't the long hair and sandals give it away? That was your chance to see what you what do, and you failed. F*** yeah your going to hell. Christ doesn't put up with s*** like that. On the other hand, hell really isn't that bad. No taxes. Lots of ho's, etc.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 01:34PM

It isn't your job to feed anyone who confronts you.

You're a good person and you have done good and will have opportunities to do more good in your life.

Some people don't believe in giving out money or food to beggars. They can ignore them or direct them to wherever they can get help officially.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 02:00PM

Probably! Soooo Can I interest you in a high quality coal shovel?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 02:52PM

Two demons are chatting on a clifftop. Below them, souls in in torment shovel coal, move it about in wheelbarrows, swing pickaxes.

Says one: "I think we do very well, considering that Mankind is basically good,"

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:09PM

Only if you want to go.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:14PM

My personal policy is not to give food or money to beggars. Plenty of people do, so the beggars do not go without. I remember years ago the beggars took over Grand Central Station in New York City. There was a large crowd of them and they took up every single bench. Paying passengers had nowhere to sit. Eventually the authorities booted them out.

I choose where I wish to put my time and money. I have often said, my classroom is my charity. Occasionally I give very small amounts elsewhere. I shut down my universities as soon as I get the call. I paid full freight at both and have no qualms telling callers to hit up the wealthy alumni instead. If a charity sends me address labels or some other guilt-inducing gift, I use the gift and toss out the solicitation. I'm sure many people donate to those charities, but I am not one of them.

Choose what you wish to do with your resources and make your peace with it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:00PM

There was a beggar woman in the coffee shop near where I work recently standing in the line in front of me. The barristas were telling her to go as she was asking the customers for spare change.

I thought maybe she wanted some coffee and a roll, and was hungry standing there, so I dug into my pocket and came up with a handful of change. I gave it to her as she turned and left the shop. The barristas asked me if I saw her holding the wad of cash in her hands? I did not lololol.

She was loaded, apparently, according to them. She had enough dough on her to buy a round on the house for the rest of us working stiffs.

I took it on the cuff that day, made my purchase then made my way back to work.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 07:00PM

I have on occasion bought a meal for a homeless person, but don’t usually give them cash.
My daughter told me that a guy asked her for money once, and she said no, but she would buy him a sandwich if he liked. He agreed, and she went into a 7-11 or some place like that. He waited for her outside, and when she came out and gave him the sandwich, he looked at her, looked at the sandwich and looked back at her. He said, “Well, isn’t it heated?” She retorted, “You’re welcome!” and stalked off.
No good deed...

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:56PM

I once encountered a "beggar" outside the grocery store. She asked if I could buy some food "for the children." I said, sure, I can get some bread, luncheon meat, milk… she said no, she wanted me to buy STEAK. Yeah right, kids are always clamoring for steak. I laughed in her face and told her that no one is going to do that. So she turned down free food for her (non-existent) "hungry children" because it wasn't expensive enough!

She was there the next week, asking for $$$, again "for the children." I knew what was up so I ignored her. A guy nearby gave her $3 or so. Did she thank him? No, she asked him for $10. And all this while sipping a $5 Jamba Juice smoothie. Right, your "children" are hungry and you're buying smoothies? Give me a break.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:22PM

A friend of mine was entering a McDonald's and a beggar asked him for some money. He said no but I will buy you a hamburger and fries. The beggar thought for a second and said "will you super-size it?"

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:30AM

and was he wearing a goofy yellow jumpsuit and over-sized shoes?

You did the right thing. Never give a burger to that guy. His racket is to get free burgers from strangers and then turn around and sell them at one of his restaurants. He's a fraud. Don't let his goofy smile fool you.

Posted by: klsmd ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 02:17AM

I was looking all scuzzy and worn out one day. Dressed in walking shorts, t-shirt and old tennis shoes without socks. I'd been working cleaning out my storage unit when a good client called me & wanted me to show her a couple of homes she'd found on our company's website. "Can we go right now?" "Sure, but I look like hell."

So after the home showings I was really hungry and stopped at a hole in the wall Chinese restaurant next to the gas station. I had NO money on me, except for the $1 or so in change I'd pulled out of the car ashtray. I knew this place served "off menu" small plates of food for $1. I asked for $1 worth of Chow Mein.

Sitting down to my feast, a lady walked by and dropped a $5 bill on the table and told me to get a real dinner. I was dumbfounded, but managed to say thank you to her as she was going out the door.

I must have looked a lot worse than I thought. And I hope she received blessings many times over!

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 08:20AM

The action is not absolutely good or bad, but the attitude can be. You can say "no" with love or with irritation, fear, rejection. That says more about you than the behavior itself.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:10AM

It's always a hard call. Nothing to do with heaven and hell, just with what is best for them or me. I'd certainly be more likely to buy someone a hamburger than give them money. But I also do volunteer work with a couple of non-profits focused on homelessness and my views have changed a lot with my experience.

I do try to look them in the eye and smile. One thing I've learned is that the hardest thing for them is people who just don't want to see them, no matter whether they're alcoholics, drug addicts and/or mentally ill.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:04PM

I should add that no one contributes to every charity or every person who asks. Everyone makes choices in that matter. So even if you have a soft heart, you still need to make choices. I don't think that anyone should feel guilty about that.

For a number of years my school has participated in a charity that specializes in soliciting small donations from school children. In return the children get various small gifts and gizmos for donating.

Personally I'm not a fan of asking for money from kids and families who are already struggling. I researched this charity on Charity Navigator and found that the charity spends roughly double the amount on the gifts than would normally be spent by another charity. I figured, okay, that's the charity's angle. But then I found that the charity director draws a salary of more than 500K a year. That is not okay with me, to ask for money from low-income families and then to reward yourself handsomely to do so. So I've shared my concerns with administrators, and they are taking a hard look at this fund-raising program.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:34PM

I had a homeless person ask me to buy them a cup of coffee so I said sure. When I came out he was gone... wanted the cash I assume. I saw another homeless person and knew he was going to ask me for some money. As I was reaching in my pocket to hand him a fiver he asked for 10. Pulled my empty hand out of my pocket and kept on going. I bought a sandwich for a homeless person who preceded to chew me out while she was munching away. I always remind myself that the majority are mentally unstable and off their meds. The others just want the money to buy drugs. I never deny food to someone that is hungry if I have the means, but have learned to never give money!

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 02:34PM

Back when I had money if their pitch included the word "food" I take them to the nearest eatery and tell them to order whatever they wanted.

I was usually shocked that they didn't load up more.

Now that I'm damn near as poor as they are I just explain to them that I'm damn near as poor as they are.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 02:57PM

Nobody's going to hell, Screen Name.

'Cause there ain't one.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 08:18PM

Not knowing what is right or wrong, not knowing how to choose and feeling guilty about it is a degree of hell. People blindly assume that this condition, so common on earth, is a kind of norm. But what if absolute bliss and ecstasy is the true norm, the quality of our essential being? Isn't anything less than that "hell"? A hell we habitually perpetuate moment to moment.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 08:49PM

What you're saying is basically what my mom taught us (or tried to).

:)

Posted by: Jumping_Javelina ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 01:11AM

The good news is you won't spend eternity in hell.

The bad news is you will instead spend eternity in outer darkness.

Tomayto/Tomahto

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 10:07AM

In Chattanooga the government has asked that folks do not give money to beggars or pan handlers. Two reasons were given. They want the homeless to go to the shelters for food so they can be observed for medical needs as well. The 2nd reason is that some are very aggressive and have attacked women walking alone when opening their purses. I am currently in st Pete Florida. You will be fined if you give money to a pan handler. Please give money to homeless shelters, women's shelters and food banks. That is money far better spent than tithing to the Mormon corporation. My wife and I give our largest charitable funds to a local food bank. You can help the hungry and homeless better that way in my opinion.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 11:55AM

Local media determined that most of them were making $12-15 an hour (tax free), and weren't homeless in any manner whatsoever. The city has passed new laws against it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 10:32AM

A: No. Nothing will happen to you. Absolutely nothing at all.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 11:17AM

It could be worse than you realize you will probably just end up as a fading headstone.

To me hell would be living for all eternity. Imagine the monotony after being aware for 15 billion years. How many times will you have tried to end your existence after 30 billion years?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 12:17PM

You will just go to hell for time. Not for eternity.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 01:55PM

So hell is a civil marriage? Yeah, I can see that!

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 01:23AM

I always say: If hell is real, I'd rather be there with my ilk than in heaven with religious people. Bring it.

I live in NYC, and I would pass the same young woman at my regular subway stop who had a sign that said: "Pregnant and Homeless. Please help." She did not look visibly pregnant the first time I saw her. Nor the last, when I quit that job one year later!

Posted by: WandaJo ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 01:31AM

Mormons do not believe in HELL.

Oddly enough, it is becoming more an more talked about than it used to. 50's and 60's we never heard it at all. Told it was no part of Mormon belief.

Now you hear the term a lot - as MoronicPriesthood Central keeps moving more and more into protestantism and accomodation with mainline Christanity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.