Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:00PM

Not the butter cup...

My wife (and I) are trying hops. It is supposed to help with menopause and sleeping. So I had the great idea of mixing the hops extract we bought with those super sweet drink mixes. God it is awful. Bitter and sweet.

I came up with the idea because my wife only likes sweet. No bitter cups for her. She used to not like chocolate but now likes dark chocolate. I'm surprised because it is often more bitter than milk chocolate.

I myself enjoy bitter and sour much more than her. In fact a coworker let me taste some hops tea and I thought it was delicious. To each his own. My wife thinks even herbal teas taste like grass.

And of course coffee as well as much alcohol is bitter to the taste. You don't have to drink these bitter cups to get your exmo bona fides. The problem is in my experience with believing Mormons their sweet cups. Everything is pouring sugar on them. It is like with your palate you can embrace bitter to counter all that sweetness. TBMs definitely "keep sweet" tooths.

Opposition is all things you know. To know the bitter to enjoy the sweet more. And growing up I adored the smell of my grandmother's coffee. I was intensely curious to try drinking some as a kid. And as we age we lose taste buds and some sensitivity to tastes making spicy, sour, and bitter much more palatable.

Anyway I wanted to reiterate that the bitter cup isn't a badge of an exmo. Ironically, my wife is drinking nightly the very thing that makes beer more bitter - hops. It is much more bitter than tea and about as bitter as coffee. But it isn't against her Word of Wisdom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:37PM

I'm for the sweet. I get margaritas and not the strong stuff. My son used to drink vodka all the time and he'd put it in water bottles. Two times I made the mistake of thinking it was water when I took some pills. OMH!

And I just can't get enough Peeps right now. I haven't had them in a few years and now I have to have them all the time. I think it is my STRESS level.

I don't like tea or coffee. I like mocha, etc., but I usually just drink my Diet Coke. It gets me through my days at Sam's Club. I promised myself I could have it as long as I worked there.

But in life, I've definitely had to drink the bitter cup, but somehow it has worked itself out in a good way.

I have no advice on menopause! I made it through!!!!! Hot flashes have been gone for a while. I'll even say it here, and I tell my daughter this, there are some things that getting older make life better and THIS IS DEFINITELY one of those. I may have pain all over, but I don't have that.

Date: April 18, 2019 11:54AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm for the sweet. I get margaritas and not the
> strong stuff. My son used to drink vodka all the
> time and he'd put it in water bottles. Two times I
> made the mistake of thinking it was water when I
> took some pills. OMH!

LOL!

> And I just can't get enough Peeps right now. I
> haven't had them in a few years and now I have to
> have them all the time. I think it is my STRESS
> level.

Really? In the land of straight sugar those over populate it. Sorry about the stress.

> I have no advice on menopause! I made it
> through!!!!! Hot flashes have been gone for a
> while. I'll even say it here, and I tell my
> daughter this, there are some things that getting
> older make life better and THIS IS DEFINITELY one
> of those. I may have pain all over, but I don't
> have that.

It is hell on my wife. She is drinking hops now since Black Cohosh and all other remedies don't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 12:09PM by Elder Berry.

Date: April 18, 2019 02:15PM

Wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 02:17PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: LAPERLA NOT LOGGED IN ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 01:28PM

Date: April 18, 2019 02:17PM

cl2 Wrote:
> And I just can't get enough Peeps right now.

Have you tried pot peeps?

https://encouragingmomsathome.com/peeps-instant-pot-brownies-an-easter-dessert-for-the-pressure-cooker/

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:46PM

Inspired by your post, I found several sites citing hops/beer as a means of alleviating menopause symptoms. I forwarded the links to my wife and asked whether she'd like me to pick up some "medicine" on the way home.

Date: April 18, 2019 11:55AM

And how was it received?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:03PM

She laughed when she got home and said she almost took me up on my offer. She's at the point where she'll try anything, even if it means violating the WoW. I need to make a beer run today, anyway, so I'll be sure to pick up some IPAs for her...just in case.

Date: April 18, 2019 12:08PM

GregS Wrote:
> I need to make a beer run today, anyway,
> so I'll be sure to pick up some IPAs for
> her...just in case.

Get her a case and make sure they are the hoppiest IPAs.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 02:09PM

I prefer salty . It’s funny because the health assessment on 23 and me had me liking salt over sweet.
I never liked much sweets, even as a kid. I preferred potato chips over cake.

Date: April 18, 2019 02:10PM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
> I preferred potato chips over cake.

Have you tried cake by the ocean?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.