Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:54PM

NOTE: This artile is from 2015. But I don't think he's changed.

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2016/09/pat-robertson-non-religious-children-should-be-beaten-until-they-respect-christian-beliefs/

In another example demonstrating that Pat Robertson believes in persecuting non-Christians and indoctrinating children, the televangelist openly suggested that parents should beat their kids until they respect Christian beliefs.

During yet another shameful episode of the 700 Club, which runs on Disney-owned channel ABC Family, Robertson received an email from a woman who claimed that her grandson disrespects their Christian faith when they visit their daughter on Christmas and chose not to visit this past year.

“We declined going to our daughter’s house on Christmas this year because there is always an argument, hard feelings etc.,” viewer Karen wrote.

“One grandchild comes high on marijuana, cursing and challenging our faith. I correct him and have told my daughter to ask him to respect our beliefs, but he keeps it up. Our daughter says she is a Christian but will drink too much and offend her daughter and her husband. Were we wrong to not to attend another Christmas that leaves us upset or someone angry? I have shared my beliefs many times with them and am ridiculed by this grandson and son-in-law.”

Robertson’s immediate solution? Beat the child until he respects Christianity.

“Somebody take that kid to the woodshed and let him understand the blessings of discipline,” Robertson advised before predicting that the kid would end up in prison if a strong male figure didn’t start beating him right away.

“He needs a strong male figure. He’s going to wind up in a correctional institution, and the next thing you know, he’s going to be doing hard time in some prison. And then he would wish he wasn’t such a smart, you know, wise guy. Because he’ll be disciplined in a way that he’ll never forget in some prison… He needs discipline in the worst possible way.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:17PM

The author of the article responded much as I would --

"One solution Pat Robertson conveniently didn’t mention is for Karen to stop bringing up religion at her daughter’s home. She says she has “shared her beliefs many times with them” and admits that it always causes an argument. Well, there’s her problem. Stop trying to force your beliefs upon your daughter’s family and the arguments will probably cease. It’s not that people are offended by someone just because they practice a certain religion, they just tend to get offended when someone tries to force those beliefs onto them. By doing this, Karen is inviting arguments, hard feelings, and ridicule from family members who don’t want to be preached to during a holiday or any other day of the year for that matter."

As my brother and I fell away from Catholicism, we had to navigate how to relate to my still religious (but inactive) mom. I'm not going to say that it was always smooth, but in time we worked it out. As an adult living with my elderly mother, I was touched by listening to her pray at night when she thought she was unheard by anyone else. She was praying for our welfare -- that we would be loved and supported and helped. It is difficult to find argument with that. Her prayers came from a place of love.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 07:30PM

Just that he "disrespected their faith." That's a short line to cross for some people. Especially the type of people who write to Pat Robertson about how persecuted they are.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:20PM

Another religious nut recommending things that are illegal. He clearly thinks that his views are more authoritative than the courts. I wish people like him could be jailed if people take their advice and brutalize their children.

Irresponsible jerk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 06:25PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: justkeepswimming ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:22PM

Read the article, couldn't find the quote "non-religious children should be beaten into submission."

Can you please point out where that quote is in the article? Or anything remotely resembling it? The quote you enacted the labor of including in your post didn't say that.

Fake news.

Date: April 17, 2019 06:24PM

Seriously?

What part of "somebody take that kid to the woodshed" don't you comprehend?

Fake fake news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 06:25PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:28PM

From the article --

“Somebody take that kid to the woodshed and let him understand the blessings of discipline,” Robertson advised before predicting that the kid would end up in prison if a strong male figure didn’t start beating him right away.

“He needs a strong male figure. He’s going to wind up in a correctional institution, and the next thing you know, he’s going to be doing hard time in some prison. And then he would wish he wasn’t such a smart, you know, wise guy. Because he’ll be disciplined in a way that he’ll never forget in some prison… He needs discipline in the worst possible way.”

If you follow the hyperlink, there is a video of Roberson which confirms that this transcription is accurate.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:47PM

justkeepswimming Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the article, couldn't find the quote
> "non-religious children should be beaten into
> submission."

The OP did not indicate or claim that was a direct quote. It is a summary of the meaning of the advice Robertson is doling out. Not "fake".

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 03:14PM

I've read your posts and can't find any reference to you being a good swimmer or even knowing how to swim.

Can you please point out where that is in your posts? Or anything remotely resembling it? The moniker you chose describes the labor of swimming but your posts don't say that.

Fake swimmer.

Date: April 18, 2019 04:02PM

Well, and humorously, put.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 04:04PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:28PM

That man is MESSED UP as he demonstrates on regular basis.

That's what Jesus would do: Beat people until they respect Christianity? (Maybe just wait to fry them in hell later?)

Discipline is what a strong male figure is for? Sheesh. Respect my a-thor-a-tah!

Date: April 17, 2019 06:58PM

It is disturbing, isn't it.

Religion is one of the fields that appeals to sociopaths and narcissists because of the combination of prominence and power it offers. I would put Robertson on the narcissistic part of the spectrum, the high-functioning part. But there is no way what he says about this and many other topics is informed by the teachings of Jesus.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 08:59PM

Pat also said one man's life was not worth threatening billions of dollars in weapons from Saudi Arabia.

Cuz, you know, Jesus was just one MAN. Not worth very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 08:59PM by carameldreams.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:20PM

carameldreams Wrote:
> Pat also said one man's life was not worth
> threatening billions of dollars in weapons from
> Saudi Arabia.
>
> Cuz, you know, Jesus was just one MAN. Not worth
> very much.

You know what they say, "It is better that one man should die than that an entire nation should dwindle without a sufficient supply of fossil fuels and the profits therefrom not going to dictators, cartels, and global conglomerates..."

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:22PM

Aloysius Wrote:
> carameldreams Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> You know what they say, "It is better that one man
> should die than that an entire nation should
> dwindle without a sufficient supply of fossil
> fuels and the profits therefrom not going to
> dictators, cartels, and global conglomerates..."

That is a sacred principle, you are correct.

The Roman Christianity is so much better than the pathetic Jesus version.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:47PM

Remember this from 2001? Chilling.
https://youtu.be/kMkBgA9_oQ4
Pat Robinson and Jerry Falwell blaming 911 on gays, abortionists,feminists, etc

Date: April 17, 2019 10:50PM

Well. . . if people departing from evangelical Christianity caused 9/11, then beating children must be a good idea.

I mean, it's only logical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.