Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:58PM

Popped in to check up on posts here today. Elder Berry's post got me thinking about old friends and acquaintances who have died--some who were surprisingly active and some who I wouldn't have predicted would leave, who did leave. (I belong to my class website, so get notified whenever a former classmate dies.)

Yup, April 17 was the day I told the RS president I wasn't even going to be a visiting teacher any more. She didn't say much to dissuade me. And I quit going to church as an active member, although I did attend a couple of times before we moved away 8 months later.

It wasn't until I found rfm at the end of 2002 that I learned I could resign without being excommunicated. So I did.

I have a friend who left 16 years before I did. We still get together and Skype several times a month. Once in a while we exchange Mormon news and gossip and reminisce and laugh about the good times, the bad times, the broken hearts. . . We are at an age where rehashing old stuff is fun for those who lived it together, but our kids don't want to hear about it.

We were so active, so busy with church, so many parties and dances, dates, sleepovers, and more parties. It is a bit sad to find out here that the church is a shell of what it once was. It may have been constricting, but we still had fun.

We also talk about the damage the church did to our lives and families, and how so many years later, we make discoveries about ourselves that go back to how we were raised to believe.

I've learned a tremendous amount here from all of you. I've read the books some of you have written, and the articles and blog posts. I've also found a couple of relatives and made some good friends.

Thank you to Jerry for sending us a copy of his book Twentyhundred--so great to see it in print! I enjoyed Cheryl's book, and have fallen behind on Donna's--can't wait to get to her latest mystery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:18PM

Happy freedom anniversary!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:22PM

Today was the day of your liberation. How lovely that you have a dear friend with whom you can share your memories and your experiences!

Tell me about Donna's book(s). I do love a good mystery.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 08:53PM

Summer, sorry I haven't been back here before now. Life got in the way.

Donna Banta:

The Girls from the Fourth Ward
False Prophet
Mormon Erotica--Donna won the 2018 Brodie award from Main Stree Plaza for this book. I haven't read this one--don't worry--it's a romance novel.

The first two are detective novels.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:47PM

Happy Day!

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 01:16AM

Wahooo! :D

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:26AM

So enjoyed your post, and I do remember reading some of your previous posts.

HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, and may you have many more.

Here's a toast to the good, the bad, and the really bad of the MormonCult. May the cult fade away on a cold, dreary, stormy night, reminiscent of the cold dreariness created by its lies, greed, and evil indoctrination.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 04:16AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 05:15AM

Freedom feels so good!
Happy anniversary!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 09:19PM

I'm still hanging around myself, and so far everything is okay.

There is doubtless a lot we could catch up on, but I'm just glad you're sell...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.