Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:44PM

"The world watched in horror this week as Notre Dame burned.

Now, with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints poised to announce Friday the details of a massive renovation project for its iconic Salt Lake Temple, perhaps Mormonism’s Notre Dame, thoughts turn to the Utah-based faith’s sacred structures."

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/04/17/mormon-land-renovating/

Check the comments ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:37AM

The Mormons' PR team doesn't miss any opportunity to mention itself, and intrude itself on the latest disaster. Nothing has happened, concerning the Mormons, but they report a "what-if" story as lame as this.

Oh, the arrogance! Is there any remote comparison between the the ugly Salt Lake temple and the magnificent Notre Dame? Any at all? I don't get it.

It's like comparing Joseph Smith to Jesus Christ.

Posted by: Valium and Pepsi ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:44AM

Very few people would draw that analogy between the two.

Perhaps the Mormons are mentioning the "restoration" of the SLC temple, to gradually let everyone know that they ain't going to donate one red cent for Notre Dame. After all, the cult has its OWN, equally important restoration taking place. (What? New carpets and chair covers? Stronger locks and upgraded security scanners?)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:20PM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's like comparing Joseph Smith to Jesus Christ.

Jesus Smith.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:22PM

Well, actually, Joseph Smith compared himself to Jesus Christ and Jesus lost:

"God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil—all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter- day Saints never ran away from me yet."
History of the Church, vol. 6, pp. 408-409

Posted by: Jumping_Javelina ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 01:57AM

until reading your post.

It is sorta ugly.

Instead of magnificent stained glass windows, it's got embrasure-like apertures.

It looks like a fortress - not welcoming at all.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 04:37AM

"The Catholic Bishops of Salt Lake City and the Presidents of the LDS Church have always had great respect and friendship between them. An example some of us might want to consider emulating."

Where was he in the days of whore of the earth?

What a ridiculous comparison! Do they realize how much the rest of the world laughs at them?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 09:08AM

Of all the......

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 09:34AM

Pathetic.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:01AM

When their "icon" temple is 800 years old perhaps people will care. It is not just the building, it is the world history associated with Notre Dame. Plus and this to me is a big deal, I was able to walk into Notre Dame and enjoy the beauty. Lutheran me would not be allowed in the Mormon Temple, I'm not worthy... LOL

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:09AM

The one good thing about this article is that they used the words "Mormonland" and "Mormonism". Nelson is probably red-faced and apoplectic.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:51AM

These guys better watch out. When Wendy reads that they've called it "Mormonland" and "Mormonism", she'll call out the troops to punish them.

After all, we know that Wendy is really running the show, regardless of what they say about Russ the profit. And of course, she was the one who decided that the name "mormons" had to go.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 11:56AM

Shouldn't there be some kind of a curse for saying the M word?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 01:20PM

Being as how we know* that the designers of the SLT were inspired to leave spaces for elevator(s), … did they also provide for fire suppression equipment (sprinklers)?

If the Qs go there to meet, & Christ visiting - directing those meetings, wouldn't it be prudent to add fire suppression (albeit After Norte Dame)?

methings Yes is the correct answer-response!

maybe the Q guys were inspired to do this coincidently just as Notre Dame was in flames....or...

did the idea for renovation come to Russ via his pen while he was hoping for some head-banging sex with Wendy?
Darn those ill-timed inspirational events! Is there someone who can put those on Mountain Time instead of Kolob time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 01:54PM by GNPE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 04:35PM

As we all know, anybody can visit or tour just about any Catholic place of worship. The same can not be said about Mormon temples.

Correct me if I'm wrong. People visiting temple square can NOT go inside the Salt Lake temple unless they are waiting for some family wedding. I believe that all visitors to temple square are directed to the church's visitor center.

This is the #1 complaint from visitors that go to Temple Square. "We went to Temple Square and visited the tabernacle, which members sometimes use for certain meetings. We also saw the Salt Lake temple, but that is only reserved for special members. They didn't let us see inside."

Date: April 18, 2019 05:16PM

The Salt Lake Temple is Notre Damned.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 05:26PM

I would say the LDS church is similar to Norte Dame. Of course with the LDS church the old gargoyles are the church leaders instead of stone carvings.

Date: April 18, 2019 05:48PM

No giant circular window though...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 05:54PM

And no taste. Notre Dame is a world treasure, one of the greatest artistic creations. The SLC temple is a quasi-masonic monstrosity.

Comparing the two is true sacrilege.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 10:00PM

Date: April 22, 2019 12:18PM

Catholicism has had a lot more time and devotion to produce stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.