Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:38AM

I survived a dog attack last night and today I am going to beat up people in wheelchairs. TGIF !
I think I am going to take lots of photos of trains this weekend just to relax.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/the-tell-tale-signs-you%E2%80%99re-totally-stressed-out-according-to-your-myers-briggs-personality-type/ar-AAygn1F

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:40AM

Wheel-chair people, Dave? Noooooooooooooo!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:44AM

Apparently since I am under stress I am in danger of indulging in too many sensory pleasures. I think I win! This is not scary.

Date: April 19, 2019 10:47AM

Another INTJ ?

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 11:26AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently since I am under stress I am in danger
> of indulging in too many sensory pleasures. I
> think I win! This is not scary.

Same. :)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:47AM

Dog attack! That can definitely be scary.

As a person in a wheelchair, I would appreciate it if you would give that other thought a second thought. IIII still love you!

Date: April 19, 2019 10:57AM

I have become a wheelchair expert. I can tell a well designed wheelchair from a crappy designed wheelchair. This is knowledge I never wanted to have.
Please tell me that your wheelchair has securement hoops.

Date: April 19, 2019 12:26PM

You mean for my feet? Yes. I just have the one that my insurance gives me. Luckily, I can stand for a little bit, and walk a little bit. I'm in it because I won't take the opiates they give me all day, every day. I do take them when the pain is more than I can bear though. So, getting around in a wheelchair lessons the amount of the drugs that I take.

Oh, my heavens!!! I saw one I REALLY REALLY want! It was at a sportsman convention kind of things. It has these gnarly wheels and was made for hiking and hunting off flat terrain. It also started at $10K. Oh well.

Date: April 19, 2019 12:29PM

I mean the steel hoops to enable securement on public transportation.

Date: April 19, 2019 01:22PM

No. I put it in the back of my car. I can drive, so I haven't needed to use PT thank Gods!

Date: April 19, 2019 10:56AM

Dog Attack. Where are the details? Enquiring minds want to know. Hope you are okay,Dave.

Date: April 19, 2019 11:09AM

OK, Here's the details of the dog attack ...

I was assisting one of my wheelchair clients getting into her house by standing on her porch and holding her screen door open so she could wheel her power wheelchair into her house.
As she got through the doorway her vicious dog slipped by her and came out onto the porch and attacked me and bloodied my hand and ripped my clothing.
The dog was just being a dog and protecting the owner and the house from intruders and I was the intruder on the dog's turf.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 11:12AM

Did you and the dog make up? Are you guys buds now?

Date: April 19, 2019 11:29AM

What were you thinking? Atheists aren't supposed to be helping people. Haven't you read the handbook?

Don't let your hand get infected.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 11:30AM

Yikes. I hope your shots are up to date so the dog couldn't catch rabies from you!

Seriously, that's awful.
No good deed goes unpunished you know. :-)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 12:50AM

Did you suggest replacing it with a Chihuahua?

Date: April 19, 2019 11:37AM

How did (someone) get control of the dog?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 11:39AM

Yup. I once helped an older gent with some groceries, and as I set them down by his front door his dog was right there and I said "Hi Chet!"--my face 6 inches from his face and he got me good.

A dog named Chet; not Rex or Thor or Killer. Chet. How embarrassing.

I hope you can get some shots of a steam engine--that would make me happy.

Date: April 19, 2019 12:36PM

How about a video of my nice Illinois Terminal green locomotives instead.
I am visible at 8:08 wearing the train engineer hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCc7M1Krzs

Date: April 19, 2019 03:14PM

Took a while...

You need a haircut!

Date: April 19, 2019 04:25PM

Thanks for the video. What a set of tracks!

Lots of train people on one side of my family. They were always more down to earth for some reason. One brother is still an engineer and grandpa worked for Union Pacific for 45 or so years. I did an oil of a steam engine for him and it hung in his depot for decades. Don't know what happened to it.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 09:49PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a video of my nice Illinois Terminal

Wow that is cool ! Love the UFO too. Great setup. :)

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:00PM

I got clawed by a stray, it went right into my knuckle. Despite getting it cleaned at the doctor and starting oral antibiotics within three hours, it spread up my arm the next day. I was in-patient on IV antibiotics for 4 days. Surgery to my hand which is just now a year later starting to work again.

I love animals but always be careful around ones you don’t know.

And yes very good advice here Elderolddog, claiming on the person’s insurance. He speaks truth from experience!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 11:28PM

Very nice models.

Many years ago Dad took me over to the railroad yard in downtown SLC and I was treated to a locomotive ride. I got to honk the the horn and ring the bell on the Rio Grande switcher. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon while Mom spent the day at the genealogical library.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 02:40PM

Wow, I thought these assistance dogs were supposed to be well trained. That dogs dangerous to be around. They should only attack on command, doing a warning bark first.
A dog like that could even turn on its owner if he doesn’t get his food on time or something. It’s even worse because you were helping .
They should at least have a command to stop and sit.
Loved the train video. My dad loved trains too. I got him a lot of train magazines when we lived in England.
My friend’s dad , when I was in the 7th grade, had his whole garage converted into a train village. It had a fire department, police station, post office, stores, waterfall, houses.
Is there a certain type of train that you like? Old/ classic vs newer models?

Date: April 19, 2019 04:23PM

He doesn't say that dog was an assistance dog. I would actually be very surprised if it were.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:07PM

I'm sending you sympathy, I got attacked by a dog last summer at of all place a Cemetery during a funeral. The dog that got me is a Grand Champion show dog, so no should not be biting people. However, the owners had the dog in the car for hours, it was pissed off and did not know me. Lucky me took a hunk out of my right hand.

Had to get a tetanus shot since mine was overdue. I ended up with a a lovely lump in my hand, where the bite, was, but all in all I was lucky.

Owners of said dog have NEVER asked how I am doing. The sister of the owner has followed up, but not her damn brother.

Can you tell I'm still bitter?

Date: April 19, 2019 03:37PM

Wow! Haven't you people heard of insurance? Of course you have!

In both described instances, the odds of each dog's owner having an insurance policy that would cover YOUR expenses and provide for the consolation of a monetary award are overwhelming!

You write a polite letter to the owner, explaining the medical after-effects of the event, and request to be contacted by them personally, or an appropriate insurance representative. If the person calls you, simply ask for the name of their carrier and the policy number.

Once you're in touch with the insurance company, you let the adjuster lead and you politely follow. You'll be asked to sign a medical information authorization. You can modify it so as to prevent their access to any records that do not pertain to this event. You assure them that you've never been bitten in that exact spot on your body ever before.

Eventually, the adjuster will tell you that it looks like it's time to settle the claim; you've been released from treatment, blah, blah, blah. You'll be told the medicals bills will be taken care of, and all you have to do is sign a release of liability.

At which point the issue of a monetary award for "pain & suffering" is raised, if the adjuster doesn't raise it. If the adjuster does bring it up, it is always with a very nominal amount of money that they imply is just being a good neighbor.

If you like that figure, take it. But know this: that was a low-ball offer. If you refuse it, and I would encourage you to do so, they always want to know how much you're looking for.

NEVER give a figure! Just keep asking what he/she thinks would be fair. The adjuster is also working under the 'never be the first to name a figure' rule.

Negotiating is a game and some people don't like to play games. To each his own, of course. Whatever the figure is that you think it's worth, make it an odd amount. That way the adjuster can write it up in the log that he/she talked you down from your demand of $5,000 to $1,325.

When a figure is named that pleases you, announce that you're agreeing to a settlement and it's all paperwork after that. Yes, it's likely that the dog owner's policy will cost more when it is next renewed. If that bothers you, don't make a claim.

Every state has a statute of limitations, starting at a year. California is now two years. Follow the bible and turn the other cheek or file a claim and join the mainstream of America.
Personal injury attorneys can make good livings building up your claim, sending you to a psychiatrist and demanding a huge settlement because of all the trauma! Lots of people use them. I personally have a lot of issues with them, after spending from 1975 to 2017 on the other side of the net from them.

Any questions, my email is public and I will talk or type literally for hours on anything! Especially things I know nothing about!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:23PM

These dogs should not be out in public. They should at least have a muzzle on. Of course, if they’re big, they shouldn’t be out , if they have a tendency to jump on people.
The cemetery is a creepy place to get attacked.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:24PM

Did you need medical care? Stitches? Pain pills?

It's scary even if it didn't go that far.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 05:14PM

The ER told me they don’t stitch dog bites, too much infection risk. They cleaned me up and gave me wound care instructions. The uncle of the family who owned the dog paid my bill. He drove me to the ER.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 05:16PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:34PM

Dave, this is the MOST I have ever seen you talk here! Now I feel like I know you better.

I am also chiming in to agree with the others about taking steps to avoid infection. I trust you will do that as it's such a sensible reaction. Dog bites aren't anything to just brush off. So many germs.

I didn't know you work with people with special needs. Funny the impressions we get of RfM folks from a post or ten.

Dog, chairs, trains. Interesting little snapshot of you as a real person.

Take care.

Date: April 20, 2019 07:31AM

Some people here at RfM know that I work with severely handicapped people.
A lot of them are non-verbal since the speech center of their brains did not fully develop.

The down's syndrome people do not give me much trouble. The autistic people often give me trouble because they are intelligent.
And yes, we do call them "special needs" people.

Date: April 19, 2019 05:26PM

Yes, thanks for the video, Dave. My handicapped son is a “train guy.” He will enjoy watching that very much.
:)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:08PM

Like others have said, the owner should pay any bills. The home owner's insurance should pay even from the cemetery bite.

Hockeyrat, just because the dog attacked in this situation, does not mean it is a dangerous dog. It is their job to protect their owner. I, myself, only have little dogs, but my boyfriend has a big German Shepherd. He is very careful, but if something were to happen, he would certainly cover any bills, etc. She can be vicious as I've seen it, but otherwise, she is as sweet as she can be. She was best friends with my little dog that weighed 6.9 pounds. I've actually never seen her attack another dog, but I have had little dogs attack her. We have something called "pet protector" that you can buy on line. It is highly pressurized canned air and dogs hate the sound. It stops them immediately. I had to use it when a shih tzu attacked her when I was walking h

Like others have said, take care of the wound. If you see any red streaking, go to the ER.

I don't know what personality type I am. I've been under a lot of stress since October 23rd. I first lost weight, now I can't stop eating sugar and I'm diabetic. I just keep testing my sugars and giving myself more insulin if necessary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 10:11PM by cl2.

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 01:07AM

How scary!! I hope you are ok and heal quickly!! xo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.