Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 02:29PM

When I was on my mission (about 20 years ago) one of the General Authority 70s came for a special mission conference. I can't remember his name now. He had been a stake patriarch before joining the upper ranks and he told us point blank that he had the "gift of discernment."

Before the conference began he made every single missionary stand in a single-file line (kind of like a cross between a wedding reception receiving line and a military inspection). We were explicitly told that he would be able to discern our deepest spiritual needs and concerns. As he walked down the line he gripped each person's hand very tightly and looked "deep" into their soul. He then spoke a few words of divine insight and advice to each person.

During the conference, he testified about the literal truth of the temple ceremony. He testified that he knew that the saints would soon return to Adam-ondi-Ahman because he had personally been to that sacred ground in Missouri and physically touched the very stone altar upon which Adam prayed, as depicted in the temple ceremony. He testified that it is still standing today in an undisclosed location that is carefully guarded by the church.

After the conference he called the names of a select few missionaries and told them that he wanted to have a special one-on-one interview with them. I was one of the lucky ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:32PM

Man. That seventy has all his moves down. Should make apostle for sure with an act like that. Sounds like my brother who actually bought forty acres in Missouri for when the time comes, but he's only an Area Seventy or whatever they call the ones who do the dirty work.

So was being one of the lucky ones mean you had the interview or didn't?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:41PM

Yeah! We're all dying to know, to share in, the wisdom that fell from his lips during that one-on-one!

I've got goosebumps here!!!!

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 04:33PM

Oh yes, I definitely was chosen. But the experience is too sacred to share. Suffice it to say he predicted something and turned out to be wrong.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:58PM

How many educated and responsible Mormons, I wonder, believe in the whole Adam-ondi-Ahman bullshit? A lot? A few? Nobody? The idea that remnants of Adam's altar still exist after eons of floods and what-not defies rational thought. Plus, of course, Adam never existed, so...

Has anyone on RfM ever been there and heard the missionary spiel about AoA, the altar, etc.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 03:58PM by cludgie.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 04:21PM

My brother went there and claims that one of the senior missionaries told him in confidence that the missionaries hauled in rocks and rebuilt the alter every spring because the faithful Mormons kept taking rocks from the alter as souvenirs.
I have no reason to doubt my brother.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 06:54PM

LOLOLOLOL.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 01:00AM

I heard of a guy from PA who took a stone. He felt so guilty that he drove all the way back to return it.

Posted by: Anon..4U ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 05:06PM

I grew up in the area of AOA. I always had the ebee-geebies when I walked around that area, because they local cult leadership had instilled those awes and wonders in my mind. Now that I can look back and LMAO now, back then I actually thought I too was touch the actual rocks that Adam had in the GOE. You know, because the cult put an alter of rocks there, and we are to believe - it's probably the same ones in the garden of Eden. As TBM teen, I snuck a small rock from the alter of Adam, believing it to have magical properties. I place the rock in my high tops, knowing that I would get another 2-3 inches on my attempts to dunk the ball - a goal of mine. I got an inch more height for sure - enough to keep me believing. Hey if it works for vertically leaping in BB, and wonder what else that trick would add length to? Who knows.

Anyway your MP was full of AOA BS just like the rest of the cult idiots.

Please tell us what he said to you. This is anonymous. Dying to know.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 05:15PM

When I moved here (Jackson County) I believed all this nonsense. I admit that I visited it several times and even took a rock from it. What an idiot. I should have kept that rock and put it into a hat to make my own translations of my own and make money.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 06:20PM

How did the altar survive the great flood?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 07:23PM

I just read on family history that my ggggrandfather ordained George A Smith as a high priest and to the High Council at Adam ondi-Ahman. Smith later moved to southern Utah where he was a local leader there and played a role in the chain of events leading to the Mountain Meadows Massacre in 1857.

Bad dude.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 10:28AM

I thought Adam-ondi Ahman was Obi-Wan Kenobi’s brother.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.