Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 08:50PM

I'm still out of commission due to upper respiratory ailment. Haven't been to shul now in over a month! My car pool friend called me last night at 11 pm to invite me to her family seder. After I explained why I haven't been to shul, she was understanding.

So I'm spending this evening instead of at my friend's house for Passover, watching JLTV Passover festivities on cable. A couple hours of kabbalah preceding that. (I rarely watch this channel.) A really fun show I hadn't seen before (maybe you have?) filmed there in Los Angeles, "Bubbies Know Best." Three elderly Jewish women pick the perfect date for a non-Jewish mate. Loved it. Really cute.

Here's 6 13's Uptown Passover, thought you might enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7Jo7FkLH4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 08:51PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 09:10PM

Chag Sameach, Amyjo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmabziV1LiY

...but this one is my all-time favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZgDNPGZ9Sg

I [most of the time, anyway ;) ] love Jewish humor!

Happy Passover to everyone (whether you are Jewish or not)!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 10:07PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Happy Passover to everyone (whether you are Jewish
> or not)!

That's nice of you Tevai. To you and Amyjo too!

BTW, I saw your post on Cheryl's thread, both of you. YIKES. I'm so sorry for such a hard time (understatement) you've had to endure. Someone on that thread made a list of all the RfMers who weighed in to share their own survival stories. Undoubtedly, there are many more. Makes you gasp and think, doesn't it? What strength it takes to get through something like that and then go out and make something of life and enjoy yourself along the way. I feel so sorry for the little children as was though. They (you) didn't deserve it. Someone else over there said that you have all overcome it by being different with your own kids. That is a great thought, worth keeping in mind. Give yourselves a pat on the back, all of you.

I thought my parents were very strict (especially Dad) but even as a young kid knew well enough that it was out of an attempt to protect us. And being strict (i.e. rules exist and can't be broken, on pain of punishment - not corporal) is certainly not the same as being abusive. I can't imagine that. The case of the parents on trial now for abusing their numerous children for years is tragic. One of the children said that their parents stole her life away. Heartbreaking.

I hope/think that RfM is a good place to land and am amazed at how people reach out to help each other.

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to Easter weekend and plan to NOT work at all for the next three days (despite pleas from my boss to do so). It's great to have some peaceful time to just breathe and enjoy non-work activities for a change. I like that so many people of different persuasions can all enjoy the time/season in their own way. It brings us together whatever our backgrounds and beliefs.

So, again, Happy Passover, Easter, weekend, whatever time you all are observing.

Date: April 19, 2019 10:28PM

Nightingale,

With my children I erred on the side of caution to the point of being overprotective. It worked to a degree. And then it didn't. I tried to overcompensate for being a single parent. There were times I was "good cop, bad cop," because I was both parents. Otherwise I was a pushover for a mom. I doted on my children to the point of excess.

One of my children was preemie, born at 27 weeks. Naturally I was more overprotective of that child than the other who was more robust and healthy.

My own childhood there was so much unstructured freedom, and at the same time the rigidity and overconformity of being LDS. It was a toxic perfectionist culture I grew up in in Idaho. Moving away from it was only the beginning of the shelf breaking. It took years before I would outgrow that. I still haven't completely. I'm still very conservative. And that's okay. I'm okay with who I am, including my upbringing. I didn't reject everything.

I know my parents loved us. They just didn't know how to show it very well.. My mom's parents were both orphans. Her dad was super strict with each of his three daughters. They all had problems in adulthood I believe stemming from their very strict upbringing. My grandpa stopped speaking to my mom for 14 years after she converted to Mormonism, because he detested the religion so much. He only started speaking to her again on his deathbed. All that wasted time. Sad.

My grandma was the family matriarch. She made up for what grandpa lacked. She was the glue in that family. Even her daughters when their marriages fell apart and their lives, they each one moved home (to Ogden,) to live close to their mother. Grandma was a very cool headed lady. She was my Jewish grandmarm. My Mormon grandma died when I was just a toddler. I only have a couple memories of her, but they were fond ones. :)

My half-sister though, she told me some horror stories about my TBM grandmother. When she would get punished, grandma would send her into the basement in the dark. It felt like a dungeon, my half-sister said (there was no light.) That kind of creeped me out. When I knew that grandma she was as sweet as apple pie. She was up in years and close to dying, so by then she was just very kind to me because I was so little and she probably knew we wouldn't see each other again.

That grandma was a Mormon pioneer whose father fought in the Civil War. She was a horse trainer as a young woman. When my grandpa first saw her she was riding a horse English side saddle down a dusty trail in Wyoming with her long hair blowing in the wind. It was love at first sight for grandpa. He was sixteen, she was 18. They were married two years later. :)

Buffalo Bill Cody used to chase her on the plains of Wyoming on horseback, and she would outrun him each time. (That was before her and grandpa were married.) She was a beauty. And fast on her horse! My cousin told me that after my dad died. Grandpa didn't include that in his autobiography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 10:40PM by Amyjo.

Date: April 19, 2019 10:54PM

That Dayenu woke me right up! (good vid!)

:D

Date: April 20, 2019 01:28AM

I hope you are feeling much better, and very soon.

I think I heard somewhere, sometime back, that matzah is an ancient remedy for upper respiratory ailments.

Something about how, although the Jews working and living in Egypt in pharaoh's time were prone to respiratory ailments while they were in Egypt, once they hurriedly left, the matzah they lived on until they could establish new homes, and were able to grow new grain, miraculously cured them.

If so, then the synchronicity is perfect!

Get well soon, Amyjo.

:)

Date: April 20, 2019 05:15AM

Oh that's good to know.

At least I'm in good company with the ancients from the past. :)

Purchased some matzah bread on the way home from work yesterday picking up milk, covered in dark chocolate and cranberries. It's made and sold locally. I'd like to call it a pastry, but is much lighter than that because of the thinness of the matzah. It doesn't feel like I'm eating calories at all , minus the chocolate. I'm saving that for tomorrow.

Then I picked up some locally made non-kosher challah bread. I know it isn't the passover kind. But it looked good, and for a single person was just the right size.

In place of getting rid of the hametz in my kitchen I've been doing some spring cleaning in there and around the house, getting rid of some of the excess to de-clutter a bit. Just to get the kitchen and mud room measured for flooring requires me to do this.

The kitchen linoleum hasn't been changed in 15 years. The mudroom is the same as when we moved in 20 years ago, and it was kind of old then. So I got an estimate this past week from Lowe's on some Armstrong vinyl tiles of theirs. Still waiting on their quote. Meanwhile, went to a local flooring store and brought home samples two days ago of some pretty flooring tiles to see what looks nice on the floor - something I hadn't done with the tile I ordered from Lowe's (big mistake not to see at least a sample of it on my kitchen floor itself in relation to the rest of the room and flow.)

Anyhoose, the samples from the local company have completely won me over. When the men come to measure my rooms in the coming week, I've pretty much made up my mind, unless Lowe's is ridiculously less expensive.

When I floored and tiled my bathroom in 2013 I did two estimates. First from Lowe's, second from the local store. Lowe's came in with the lowest tile prices so I thought it would have the lowest estimate of the two. I picked discounted tiles even to save money.

The other store I selected what I really liked just to compare the difference in cost. Turned out Lowe'd padded their quote. So after adding in labor, other materials, moving furniture, etc, the cost of doing the cheaper tiles was more expensive than the premium tiles from the store that specializes in them. Ended up going with the local store, and my bath was fitted with a nice spanish tile from Spain for less money than had I done the cheaper tiles from Lowe's. :)

The one/s I found for the kitchen are at least as nice, but not ceramic. The kitchen looks like a ceramic tile but is a floating, interlocking vinyl, and the color really lightens and brightens up the room a lot. While it looks like a stone tile, it has the low maintenance of a vinyl tile, comfort, and performance. Add, it's 100% waterproof! With no grout. The mudroom that runs off the kitchen I found a sheet tile from the local company that compliments the kitchen tile with a lattice pattern. Very intricately woven, which is perfect because it's a small room. With my colors in both rooms, the floor colors will bring out those colors and tie them together and create a look and a flow that wasn't there before. Plus, the vinyl tile is at least half the price of a slate or ceramic tile. Add, slate and ceramic are high maintenance materials whereas vinyl/linoleum is lower maintenance by a long shot.

I'm glad I thought to do the comparison estimate. Was just going to go with Lowe's. Once I hear back from the local outfit, if it's close to or less than, or even a bit more than the Anderson flooring I picked out at Lowe's then I'll go with the 2nd estimate/quote. It pays to shop around and get estimates on home improvement projects. Lowe's advertises it's less expensive than its competitors, but when actually pressed, it isn't always the case. Besides I've made up my mind because this flooring by other store is what I consider to be exquisite. It wasn't offered, to my knowledge, at Lowe's. It's pristine. The colors sizzle. I'm talking white porcelain look for the kitchen with some light variations of color through it. And a black and white lattice for the smaller room. Floors in there now are rather dark. So it will brighten them up significantly. With the coral walls in kitchen, and french blue in mudroom, these floors will really bring them to life in a good way.

That's been my [version of] getting rid of Hametz while getting over an upper respiratory infection. ;)

One good thing about me and house projects though, is that when I start one or more than one, it pretty much forces me to clean through, clean out, and de-clutter whatever is in the path of the project waiting to be done. So it is a motivator for me to get moving to create the home I envision from within.

Last week I donated a large quantity of clothing, bedding, and household items to Goodwill. There is more where that came from. With each donation I feel a little lighter, because my house is a little less cluttered and filled with things no longer in use or of service. That's been an ongoing project for some time now. Things are thinning out quite a bit. I've donated furniture. (Salvation Army schedules pickup for larger pieces.) As I get closer to retiring trying to get my house ready to either put on the market or if I stay make it my forever home. Either way whatever improvements I make I make them as though I'm going to be staying and want to enjoy them myself, because I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be here. I painted the house in 2015, interior and exterior. Floors and doors in 2016. Bathroom tiles in 2013.

Replacing kitchen tiles now in 2019. But this tile is going to be so pretty I don't think I'm going to want to change it up again. It will be a selling point when/if I list the house.

A realtor contacted me last week asking if I was ready to sell. It may be a seller's market right now (still, I'm not.) She just sold a house around the corner for $20,000 over asking price. She said she had 23 offers on that one house.

I didn't know the market was so hot right now. But I still have some time before I can retire. If were to leave my job now would take a hit in my retirement. As much as I'd love to take early retirement and move away, I don't think it's worth it. I'd regret not waiting the extra time while my pension continues to vest. Plus all the resources in my community for just about anything. If it weren't for my family so far away I would stay right here without hesitation.

Shabbat Shalom. Happy Pesach. And Happy Easter to the Easterlings. I still celebrate Easter too. I'm low key about both holidays. I don't have a church to go to. Only a synagogue which haven't been to in weeks. They're going to think I'm an apostate there lolol.

My friend is adding me to the prayer request today, bless her heart. She is suffering too! She told me she has a blood clot on her heart. She taking medicine for that before the doctors can operate on her jaw. She still cannot chew food from a jaw injury from several months ago.

She's my dear sweet friend who spent 15 winters in Salt Lake City on skiing vacations with her husband. She loved it there until her husband got sick, then injured while at hospital in SLC. He fell out of the hospital bed, hit his head, and went into a vegetative state from the fall. She brought him back home where he remained in a vegetative state for the next 2-3 years before he passed away. I don't know what it is about Salt Lake City and Jewish people suffering there.

But that is where my great grandmother died at age 34, from blood poisoning - leaving my grandmother an orphan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 05:17AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 11:52AM

Have a joyous blessed Passover Tevai and Amyjo!

Date: April 20, 2019 12:56PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Have a joyous blessed Passover Tevai and Amyjo!

Thank you, Boner!

Date: April 20, 2019 03:37PM

Tankoo, BYUB.

Happy Easter to you.

I just watched Kathy Bates getting baptized by her bestie, Alfre Woodard, in a Tyler Perry flick "The Family that Preys." Love all them actors. Each one is Oscar worthy (only Bates has actually won, to my knowledge.)

Here's Easter Bunny dancercising lol,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArh_o19mPE

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 20, 2019 03:22PM

I wish to sustain Brother Boner's benevolent blessing.

Namaste

Masalem

Date: April 20, 2019 03:30PM

Shummy Wrote:
> I wish to sustain Brother Boner's benevolent
> blessing.
>
> Namaste
>
> Masalem

Todah rabah, Shummy, v'Chag Sameach!.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 07:34PM by Tevai.

Date: April 20, 2019 06:15PM

Thanks Shummy.

I'll toast to that.

Bottoms up ...

(I'm hitting the bottle again this weekend of alkaline drinking water.)

Cheers, and Happy Easter, Friend.

In case you were wondering what happened to Macauley Culkin, need wonder no more: (here is Bunny Ears, from last Easter) - if you weren't wondering, well that's okay too. It seems Macauley may have jumped into the Rabbit Hole, and fell through it to the other side. Whatever happened to little Kevin?! These child stars have a rough go, that much is for certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4rsMXANQM

Date: April 21, 2019 10:24PM

Tevai Wrote:
>
> I think I heard somewhere, sometime back, that
> matzah is an ancient remedy for upper respiratory
> ailments.
>
> Something about how, although the Jews working and
> living in Egypt in pharaoh's time were prone to
> respiratory ailments while they were in Egypt,
> once they hurriedly left, the matzah they lived on
> until they could establish new homes, and were
> able to grow new grain, miraculously cured them.
>
> If so, then the synchronicity is perfect!
>

At the supermarket tonight the passover matzah bread went on clearance. I saw a couple 10 oz boxes sitting next to the 10 oz Manischewitz boxes in the same size that was marked $1.78 on the clearance tables.

I scooped up the Osem brand sitting next to the Manischewitz, thinking they were the same price. At the checkout stand they rang up $7.49 each ! I said there had to be a mistake. After double and triple checking, the manager walked back with me to the clearance table. There wasn't a sign for the Osem brand.

Since they only get them in once a year anyway, he gave me an in-store $5.00 coupon for each of the Osem brands. So I got them for $2.49 each instead of $7.49.

After getting home, and checking on them some more, the difference I found out between the brands is Osem is from Israel. Manischewitz is from New Jersey. That was it. The import price didn't go on clearance after Passover, unlike the American products did. But there weren't any signs on the display for the Osem product. It's kind of a rip-off if you ask me. I realize there's tariffs, hence some mark-up. But the ingredients are exactly the same.

A 5 lb box of Manischewitz sells for $4.99 on clearance post-Passover.

I'm going to enjoy those Osem matzah anyway. I'm testing them to see whether they help improve my breathing. ;o)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 10:34PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.