Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 07:50PM

We went to church together Primary, MIA, Sunday School.

We sang a duet together in MIA "One Tin Soldier," back in junior high school.

She died from natural causes, and didn't tell anyone she was that sick. Her last remaining sibling just announced her passing.

She was only 60 years old.

She left a husband, children, and grandchildren. Death is a part of life. But when it happens so seemingly suddenly, it is still shocking.

Her little brother died only a year or two ago of some rare disease. ((((sighs))))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 08:13PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 07:54PM

So sorry to hear. One of my old friends mother died recently too. She was only 62. It can be unexpected, we just don't plan for these things.

Date: April 22, 2019 08:20PM

Thanks MacaRomney.

My friend was a wonderful person.

Her dad was the chief narcotics detective of my hometown. He used to come to our schools and give talks about the dangers of drugs.

He helped a lot of people.

My friend started a second family when she was 40. She married a man who was half her age. Then she had two more children with him. She was a good mom. Those kids would be, let's see, the youngest was born in 2004. So only 15. That's gotta be rough especially on the younger children.

Her husband though is still fairly young. They're active LDS (I think.) She didn't leave the church to my knowledge.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 08:16PM

Always sad when one's contemporaries pass. A beautiful girl I had a crush on at Rick's 53 years ago passed in her fifties...that really shocked me...and then my wife died at age 68. Life is so precious...and sometimes we fail to appreciate how fleeting it is...

Date: April 22, 2019 08:39PM

Yeah. She posted on her social account how fast time is fleeting.

And sadly, Ron, she didn't tell a soul (except for her family,) that she was dying. Her sister said she was there because her friends gave her encouragement and kept her spirits up each day.

We didn't know she was dying in the last days as she was giving us encouragement.

She had a beautiful soul. (has, since her soul is what lives on.)

Oh, she was beautiful too. She had a killer smile. Her daughters take after their mom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 08:41PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 08:33PM

Date: April 22, 2019 08:47PM

Thank you so much.

I haven't heard that song in years. It brought tears to my eyes hearing it tonight.

Brings back some sweet memories.
:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 09:47PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 10:06PM

I'm sorry that you lost your friend. That is much too young to go.

Date: April 22, 2019 10:16PM

Thanks Summer.

It sure is. I'm still in shock.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 11:04PM

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend, Amyjo. It’s always a shock when there’s an untimely death. May there be peace and healing for you, your friend’s family, and all others sharing in the grief process. Hugs!

Date: April 24, 2019 09:17AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m so sorry to hear about your friend, Amyjo.
> It’s always a shock when there’s an untimely
> death. May there be peace and healing for you,
> your friend’s family, and all others sharing in
> the grief process. Hugs!

Thank you, BYUB.

Hugs back! :)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 11:57PM

Amyjo, recalling some of your posts,I marvel in your strength and fortitude in facing the hardships and sadness you've endured from the trials with your children, marriages, family and friendships.

You set the standard for living life to the fullest that I have learned much based on your experiences that this world has thrown at you.

Your friend was blessed for knowing you and traveled with you in a part of life's journey.

May we all be so blessed by knowing you, take care, and if I can be so bold to call you my friend.

Date: April 23, 2019 09:38PM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amyjo, recalling some of your posts,I marvel in
> your strength and fortitude in facing the
> hardships and sadness you've endured from the
> trials with your children, marriages, family and
> friendships.
>
> You set the standard for living life to the
> fullest that I have learned much based on your
> experiences that this world has thrown at you.
>
> Your friend was blessed for knowing you and
> traveled with you in a part of life's journey.
>
> May we all be so blessed by knowing you, take
> care, and if I can be so bold to call you my
> friend.

Thank you so much, Tumwater, for your kind thoughts. I do feel like a survivor. I feel blessed to have you for my friend.

Today when I was visiting with my therapist he told me that very same thing. That for as many times as I've been knocked down, I've always been able to get back up and regain my footing.

He told me I have nine lives. I chuckled and asked him, "are you sure I don't have fifteen?!" ;)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 11:44PM

Pax

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 11:58PM

Sorry for your loss. Deaths that are sudden/unexpected are always a shock, and deaths of the young (and 60 now qualifies as "young old" at most) are a different sort of difficult.

I'm now the oldest in the immediate family, and I think third oldest in the extended family. When I stop to think about it, it feels a bit weird. It tends to change one's POV.

Date: April 23, 2019 09:50PM

It does feel strange, don't it?

My generation is now the oldest in my family tree. All our parents/aunts and uncles have passed away - with the exception of my con artist uncle and his wife. I cut off all contact with him after he committed a major bank heist where I live, six months after taking my children on vacation here (I believe he was scouting out our area while he was with my children, unbeknownst to them and me.) He's the last living uncle, but he's dead to me. On my family website I have him listed now as "John Doe." It must really get his goat. I don't care. It's the least I can do since he still doesn't get what a creepy person he's turned into.

He's pissed at me because I'm the one who turned him into police when my children and I ID'd him from Crimestoppers. We were the only ones in our metro area of 2 million who were able to ID him. No one else could because he traveled from Silicon Valley to here to rip off our banks. Cops know it was him. They didn't have enough evidence to prosecute though. The photo ID wasn't enough to get a conviction. But since a con artist's worst fear is publicity, at least the cat was out of the bag once I id'd him. Expert witness, computer consultant, all the labels he used to travel around on "business," while he was really just a common crook for many many years. Cops told me the heist here was just the tip of the iceberg. He'd been doing for a very long time. If not for my ID'ng him, they still wouldn't know who he was. My sociopath uncle.

He used my children to plan his bank heist. As their mother I still can't get over that.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 12:01AM

I am still getting used to the reality that my friend from school days is dead.

Much empathy from me is going in your direction, Amyjo.

May your friend's memory be a blessing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 03:20AM by Tevai.

Date: April 23, 2019 10:03PM

I'm sorry for your loss too. It's a difficult mind altering reality to adjust to.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 12:26AM

So sorry. I had a half sister who died in her 50s. She had two small grand children and would have been a great grandmother to do them as the were growing up and to the ones born after she died.

Date: April 23, 2019 10:02PM

Oh that's awful, bona dea. My half-sister died at age 67 (same age as my mom did.) She died from early onset Alzheimer's or some form of dementia. She thought when she was first diagnosed with it that it may have come about from an abusive ex-husband of hers. He would hit her so much that it left what she called resembled "mini strokes" on cat scans of her brain.

Or maybe she just had mini strokes that led to her memory loss. It was hard watching her go downhill in slow decline. She had eight children. Only one of them predeceased her. He had been a BYU-Provo football player on a full scholarship. When he had a football injury that was so severe, BYU cut off his full scholarship, and he received no medical assistance either for his doctor bills. He was left floundering and destitute because of his football injury.

So following BYU he meets a nice lady who was divorced with five children, who he married, and became an instant father to them. His football injury though I don't believe he ever received adequate medical attention for that. He was a hard worker, to support his family. One day on the job at a construction site in California he felt sick. He went to lay down in one of the construction trailers, and never woke back up. He was only 38.

The rest of her children, like him, were what I consider successful, and good people. Not all of them were/are LDS. Only some of them were/are. She was a good woman. Her children emulated their mother's life (she'd been a single mother mostly while raising them.) One is a registered nurse. One is a Computer Scientist. One is a schoolteacher. One a housewife. One is employed with the FBI. I obviously haven't kept up with them all. :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 12:34AM

So sorry to hear this, Amyjo. It's always a shock, losing someone you've known just about forever.

I knew that my best friend was going downhill with MS, but still - getting the call from her son telling me that she was gone was not easy to deal with.

Hugs, my friend.

Date: April 23, 2019 10:06PM

Thanks, Catnip.

It's been hard for me to process my friend's passing because there was no warning at all.

Maybe she thought she was protecting us by saying nothing. But if she had of asked for support her friends could have been there more for her. She must have been a very private person because only her immediate family knew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 10:15PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 01:13AM

Very sorry about your friend, Amyjo. It's becoming too common that we hear of actors and friends who die in their fifties and sixties. Would you mind telling us what caused her death if you know? I hear of early deaths and I wonder, what happened to her? What is going wrong in our generation? Horribly sad.

Date: April 23, 2019 08:03AM

Her sister attributed it only to "natural causes." That was all her family is saying about it publicly.

She had cancer several years ago. Not sure whether this is somehow directly or indirectly related to that. She went through the chemo for the cancer and was cured at the time. Not everyone gets chemo for cancer, but again I don't know the details of that either.

My friend kept a lot to herself apparently. She was on her social media encouraging her friends right up to the end. She was a bright light to us all. And didn't say a word that she was dying.

I wish she had. It kind of hit us like a brick wall when it happened because no one saw it coming.

She didn't even have an easy life for someone as beautiful as she was.

Her father left her mother for another woman.

The "other" woman was a friend of my step-sister's who I used to baby-sit for years ago. She wooed him away from his wife. My step-sister stopped speaking to her after that because of what she'd done. That woman died herself 2-3 years ago at age 62 from liver failure. She'd been a hardcore drinker. Alcohol killed her. She'd grown up in a very religious LDS home.

My friend who just died on Sunday her parents weren't as zealously religious as the woman's parents who stole her dad away. Her parents were just good and kind decent folks. It took a lot of years for her to get over that heartbreak of her dad leaving her mom. I loved her mom too. She was a lovely, kind woman. And her father was a mensch.

When my friend married a guy 20 years her junior, it wasn't all that surprising to me because she was a beautiful woman. He must have been smitten by her. They had at least a LDS church wedding. I don't know if they were temple wed or not, but her children were all raised LDS. Her husband looked like a return missionary on their wedding day. Cutest looking couple you ever did see. She had about three children from her first marriage, and then the two more. Some of her grandchildren are closer in age to her younger children !

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 10:28AM

I'm so sad to hear about the loss of your friend. A very good friend of ours died yesterday; we're going to her viewing tomorrow. It's shocking when it's a friend or relative; especially when it's unexpected. Our thoughts (both my husband and me) are with you.

Date: April 23, 2019 11:32AM

And mine with you.

So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 24, 2019 04:50AM

That is bad news. Sorry for this loss.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 24, 2019 09:46AM

Condolences. Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 24, 2019 12:41PM

So sorry about your friend Amyjo. Folks around me are dropping like flies lately. Really makes one evaluate things.

Warmest Wishes,

HH =)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 24, 2019 02:19PM

I'm sorry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.