Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 11:37AM

Yesterday, we were talking with our daughter and son in law (they left the church when we did) and the subject of changes in the BOM came up. I have my great grandfather's BOM. It was published in 1907 and it not only has the "white and delightsome" in it, it also has something else. On an introductory page, where it says "The Book of Mormon: An account written by the hand of Mormon etc, underneath where it says, "translated by Joseph Smith, Jun", it has this: "Division into chapters and verses with references by Orson Pratt, Sen." Hmmm... On a blank page, my great grandfather wrote: "there are about half a million copys of this book". We had no idea that Orson Pratt had anything remotely to do with the BOM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 04:19PM

Orson Pratt divided the BOM into chapter and verse in 1879 or there about.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 04:54PM

I have my grandfather's copy of the Doctrine and Covenants, published in 1883.

The first 75 pages of the book, right after the title page, is the "Lectures on Faith" which, of course, includes Lecture Fifth, which says that God the Father is a "personage of spirit" whereas God the Son is a "personage of tabernacle" - and it is these TWO who have all power (only two)! After that come the "Covenants and Commandments."

The Lectures on Faith were removed from the D&C in 1921.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 05:19PM

"We've got spirit, how 'bout YOU!?"

"We've got tabernacle, how 'bout YOU!?"

"We've got spirit, how 'bout YOU!?"

"We've got tabernacle, how 'bout YOU!?"

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 06:14PM

Ooohhhh, you have a collector's item there.

It may be of value if you decide to hold onto it, as a family heirloom for posterity sake.

The original 1830 BoM is valued at around $75,000. For insurance purposes its worth is estimated @ around $100,000.

While the 1907 may not be worth as much, it is still a collectible.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 24, 2019 12:53AM

Have you ever done the mental math on how many people would give their eye teeth for that book?

How many kids did he have?

How many kids did each of those have?

How many kids do each have now?

Yikes. How'd you get so lucky to be the one to score that?

I ask because I have one too.

My great grandfather he was born in 1880 and I have his 1888 edition. he signed his name in the front and wrote notations in the back. I actually have probably 20 or 30 of books that he owned, I only kept the ones he signed. ALL are mormon related. This family was in it to win it.

So out of his 8 kids, one was my grandfather. He had 8 children, one of whom was my mom. I was the last of the grandkids. How many people would that even be? most are mormon, but ALL would have a great interest in the book. And here it is, in the cedar chest of a rabid ex-mo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2019 12:59AM by Levi.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.