Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roman Bokovinoff ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 04:02PM

Did they have more game than Brighams crowd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 06:22PM

Please clarify! I don't understand your comment.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 06:59PM

The RLDS dialed back to the Kirkland church and avoided all the doctrine that came out of Nauvoo. No polygamy, no temple ordinances, the temple is a public meetinghouse and place of instruction.

The RLDS changed their name to Community of Christ and are morphing into more of a modern liberal church. They are a member of the National Council of Churches and they have about 200,000 members.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 07:09PM

They have pretty much died since they modernized. That 200,000 figure is completely bogus. They had a building in my town. Soon they moved into a converted house. Then they disappeared completely. This is the future the LDS Church fears. Once you drop the BoM and Joseph Smith you might as well become the United Church of Christ. There are some Restoration RLDS that hold to the old path, but they are tough to find.

Posted by: Anon..Indep ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 08:45PM

Old Al...are you in Independence by chance?

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 09:01PM

Midwest, but not Independence. RLDS used to be pretty strong in my neck of the woods, but they have splintered and are irrelevant at this point.

Posted by: jamie ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 09:55PM

I've not been to an LDS service or an RLDS service in over 25 years.

What I remember from the LDS priesthood meetings are lengthy diatribes about all the kind of sex they say they don't want us to have, and how masturbation will wind you up in the Outer Darkness. And then there were the monthly fast and testimony meetings which were far more amusing to watch soul after soul get up in front of everyone and sob about how much "the Church is true" and how much "Joseph Smith is a true prophet." At least I got to laff on the inside.

The RLDS was actually rad by comparison. The meetings were mostly informal, they would discuss the Bible, AND the bishop was a lady. The lady bishop made everything scads better, and made for a far more enlivening experience. I also mostly liked the fact that they rejected the notion of little Fanny and her ilk, and embraced Emma and her progeny.

Plus, the RLDS have the "Inspired Version" and satisfied for a long time that prophecy about Smith's offspring succeeding as prophet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.