Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 04:36PM

Where did I come from?
Why am I here?
Where am I going?

Back in the day, these questions were easy as every mormon knew the answers and could recite them off easily. But, I'm not affiliated with the mighty mormon church anymore and those questions are not as simple anymore.

Where did I come from?: I came from my Parents who conceived me in a fit of passion.

Why I'm here?: I don't know other than to propagate the species?

Where am I going?: Someday, I guess that I will return to the elements of the Earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 04:38PM

I've always been here.

Where else would I be?

Where else is there to go?

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 05:02PM

These sound like "important" questions. I put that in quotes, because they aren't really, when you get down to it. They are meant to pull on the emotions, to sound profound and to try to get the listener to think that there's something that they are missing.

Where did I come from? - you already answered it. We know where we came from. Our parents. Why does this need to be any more complicated than that. If people are believers in some pre-life, then good for them. But there's no proof of that, and "my parents had sex and I was born aprox 9 months later" works for me.

Why am I here? Well, really, it boils down to the same answer as question one. I was born, now I'm here. Along the way I made choices and life happened and I'm where I am today. There's nothing profound about it. It's not even to "propagate the species". I don't have to do that if I don't want to. To say more than that is an attempt to, at best, assign meaning where none is required. At worst, it's an attempt to guilt into believing in something that has no proof.

Where am I going? In about an hour, to the grocery store, then home to eat dinner and watch a movie with my wife. I'm not too worried about what happens after I die. I'll be DEAD, it won't matter all that much to me. If there's life after death (when you think about that sentence, it really is odd) I'll deal with that then. But right now, there's no proof of that, so I live the best life I can, not out of fear of some punishment or reward after I die, but because, so far as we know, this is the only life we have, so why not try and live the best life I can and enjoy my time here.

These are marketing questions. That's all.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 05:08PM

1. My parents reproductive systems. Hi world!

2 My parents were horny and then I survived all childhood maladies and accidents. Currently surviving the adult ones. So here I am.

3. Hopefully to Italy one more time.

The questions are asked with the assumption that there is a God and that we have an afterlife. I'm not down with questions with implied assumptions that lead you to the questioner's answers and not your own.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 05:15PM

Great answers here! My only change, I’d like to go back to Paris. :)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:01PM

Go thru Lyon on your way to Paris. If you are a foodie, it's considered by many as the gastronomic capital of the world.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:05PM

1. My parent's DNA. Where that originally came from I don't know and neither does anyone else.
2. Don't know. I'm enjoying learning for the sake of learning but on a cosmic level I have no idea why I should exist and neither does anyone else.
3. Don't know and neither does anyone else.

I see death as the ultimate adventure in learning. But I can wait awhile to participate.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 05:27PM

I traded a celestial harem for outer darkness. But at least I won’t have to be around Mormons.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 07:12PM

Just because Mormons don't think they'll be in outer darkness doesn't mean they won't - if there is such a place.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 07:16PM

Beyond biology and the elements all I can say is that I don't know, and I'm not going to pay some church to make up something more satisfying.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 07:17PM

1. My parents
2. See #1
3. Wherever the hell I want to go. Get out of my way kid.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 08:59PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. My parents
> 2. See #1
> 3. Wherever the hell I want to go. Get out of my
> way kid.

I like it!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 07:28PM

My mother's womb.
To party.
The dirt nap.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 07:55PM

1. A long line of nutcases.

2. Who knows?

3. Where does that road go?

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 09:04PM

1. The Big Bang
2. Luck
3. Back to the universe

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 10:42PM

I do want to see my dogs and my parents again, grandparents, etc. Some friends. So I hope for an afterlife. Sure, I came from my parents having sex, but where was I before then?

Was there a time that I didn't exist and will there be a time when I don't? That just seems bizarre!!!

What I do know is that I DIDN'T CHOOSE to be here. Someone else chose it.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 12:37AM

There's a cafe in Mimbres, New Mexico, with the Three Questions stenciled around the edge of the floor. The place is run by Mennonites — at least currently.

Maybe the next time I'm in there I'll answer, "From Silver City; for the pie; to have a nap."

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 06:07PM

"Where did I come from?" We came from dead stars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAV96XSdMQo

"Why am I here?" To carry it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08gyjR0Sk4s

"Where am I going?" Back into the universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHr3ErT34I

Posted by: Mark Twain ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 06:30PM

I was dead for billions of years before I was born and I'm none the worse for it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 06:50PM

I think it was Bill Burr who tells the story of talking to a Swedish guy who was certain there was no after life, and who by way of counsolation asked what Bill remembered from before he was born. When Bill said "Nothing", the guy told him it was the same after death.

Personally, I think that when you die, you go to a big Hiring Hall in the Sky where you figure out what job to take next. Saucie and I, whoever dies first waits for the other and then we hire out as Really Serious People Doing Really Serious Things ...
Or star troopers. Whichever has the best benefits.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 07:38PM

I’m coming back as a Golden Retriever. Much better gig than being human.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 06:17PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I think it was Bill Burr who tells the story of
> talking to a Swedish guy who was certain there was
> no after life, and who by way of counsolation
> asked what Bill remembered from before he was
> born. When Bill said "Nothing", the guy told him
> it was the same after death.
>
> Personally, I think that when you die, you go to a
> big Hiring Hall in the Sky where you figure out
> what job to take next. Saucie and I, whoever dies
> first waits for the other and then we hire out as
> Really Serious People Doing Really Serious Things
> ...
> Or star troopers. Whichever has the best
> benefits.

In lieu of that we are furiously practisting being serious people. So far so good I think.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:08PM

Where did I come from?
Heaven

Why am I here?
Becaus I was Born

Where am I going?
I am not sure but I did buy a $2.00 harp and a $40.00 coal shovel

Posted by: Done & "Done ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:51AM

You two are the very "Poster Children of Serious People" no doubt about it. I have never seen such seriousness in my life.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 05:05PM

Well that ended up in the wrong spot. Don't know what happened. Can't be old age. Oh, wait . . .

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:19AM

We can make guesses. And some of those guesses may turn out to be correct. But anyone who pretends that they actually KNOW the correct answers is full of stale twinkies.

Mormons pretend that they KNOW the answers. But as soon as you start asking for details, their story quickly falls apart.

"So what did our spirits do in the pre-existence when we were living in the presence of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost?"

"Oh, stuff, you know. But there was a war. A really big war in heaven!"

"Really! A big war? I thought that living right there in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus pretty much precluded things like war. But you're telling me that even when we were living right there with Heavenly Father and Jesus, everyone was bickering and fighting and snarling at each other. Can you explain that?"

"Oh, well, free agency."

"So what happened to those who exercised their freedom to disagree with Heavenly Father and Jesus?"

"Oh...those guys. They were thrown down to hell and damned for all eternity."

"Right. Free agency. What a gift!"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 05:14PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> "Oh, well, free agency."

This term is so out of date and favor!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:29AM

1. I was a thought-form of the universe.
2. To have an experience being human.
3. Back to the universe.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 04:34PM

I come from the water
Living in the water
Go Back to the water
Turn the world around.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 05:20PM

Where did I come from?

Being immersed in a culture of social beings for whom self identification is paramount I was encouraged to leave my mental condition of connected to everything I experienced and turn inward in creating a self. I came from my own self. I made it myself.

Why am I here?

Certain conditions inherent in the maintenance of the culture of social beings are still continuing this existence of mine as I continue to apply "myself" (see above) to my own maintenance. My memories are unreliable in the determination of what started "me" and why I'm still here other than I recognize I continue to act in the rituals of survival of my being.

Where am I going?

Indeterminate. Not enough information to answer unless it is implied that "where" is post-existence. Still indeterminate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 05:21PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:41PM

1. Whatever the Brethren say is the answer is my answer too.
2. Whatever the Brethren say is the answer is my answer too.
3. Whatever the Brethren say is the answer is my answer too.

How wondrous it is to have had the Correlation program raise me, wash my brain clean from any other way of processing information through baptism by immersion, and telling me I have this glorious Holy Ghost gift that I can keep as a safety bubble over all thinking as long as I continue to be fully correlated and assimilated into obedience to these super holy powerful 15 men on the top of the Ensign centerfold.

I hope this explains how non-clueless and non-delusion this glorious true (i.e. honest/transparent) Church makes us.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:09AM

Not sold on the idea of heaven.

But if there is I am hoping for wall to wall golden retriever puppies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.