Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 12:54PM

Was it your first kiss? Perhaps an hour alone in nature. How about a loud applause after performance that truly excelled? Waking up after a well-needed long, deep sleep? Midway in a Steinbeck novel? Driving off the lot with your first new car? Sweating as you build your own cabin? Hitchhiking as a teen across America? Or was it sitting in a church meeting where you, without any doubt, felt the Holy Ghost during a Paul H. Dunn speech?

Tell me please. What was your finest emotional reaction to the sensations of human life, thus far. When was that moment?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-prime-rib-specials-in-all-50-states/ss-BBWaPcH?ocid=spartanntp#image=45

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:06PM

ziller's finest emotional reaction to the sensations of human life thus far was clicking on this thred ~

thanks OPie ~

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:07PM

It was when the scales fell from my eyes and I saw Mormonism for what it truly was.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:18PM

Same for me because that is the moment the rest of my life became possible. And as a bonus, I was finally free to like myself.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:11PM

I don't think there's a single one moment.

There's too many to count. I seek them out. They find me.

There waiting around each corner, nook and cranny.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:28PM

Date: April 29, 2019 02:32PM

I second that emotion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:18PM

Total hubris on my part, but I expect each new day to bring bigger smiles to my face. I am a total optimist.

Date: April 29, 2019 06:26PM

Understanding cancer and bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx35q-zJRk

Date: April 29, 2019 09:20PM

I've had cancer and bliss together! Piece o' cake!

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 08:45PM

Optimistic yes, but to this point a disappointing life. I hope tomorrow finally hits the mark.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:28PM

Whenever elderolddog acknowledges my existence and replies to one of my posts. (Yes, I'm that pathetic.)

EOD also means "End Of Day", and that always brings a smile to my face at the end of a long day.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 03:01PM

Haha The high of the EOD "fix" is just too incredible, isn't it?

I can only go so long.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 03:18PM

Has EOD forsaken me? Have I done something to offend him? Did I crack his bell curve? I think I'm suffering from withdrawal.

I must repent, though I know not what I have done wrong.

Date: April 29, 2019 08:41PM

Nothing I do is intentional. I like you, GregS. Email me anytime you want and we'll exchange jovialities.

Are you in Central Utah? I will be there this weekend. Let's get together! I want to meet up with memikeyounot again, and the bonehead BYUboner, if their schedules and their consciences will allow it...

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:22PM

Hey...are you coming to Salt Lake? Will you bring your clubs? I’ll give you 2 a side for 2-2-2.....if not, how far north will you be in “Central Utah”?

Date: April 29, 2019 10:40PM

Bobofitz! Memikeyounot lives in SLC and that's where I met up with him and the Boner. I'd been thinking about going up for this weekend but just today decided to do it. I don't think I'm going to have time to play, but lunch or dinner on Friday is definitely something I'd look forward to!

My email is public, elderolddog@gmail.com...

Hahahaha! I also grabbed up JudicWest@gmail.com! Damn, but Judic gets all these Jewish chicks writing to him; so weird!!

Don't be teasing me, man! Let's do it!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:31PM

Falling in love...on a blind date...and knowing...at that very moment...that she was the one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2019 02:31PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: April 29, 2019 02:36PM

It was love at first sight for each of them, too.

Best part? The many decades that followed, as their pure love bloomed more perfectly than any orchid.

Thank God for truly happy couples.

Congratulations, fellow demon.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 06:46PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 06:47PM

This was supposed to be at the bottom (not of my list--of the thread).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2019 06:48PM by cl2.

Date: April 29, 2019 11:55PM

We had 44 and 4 months together. She is unforgettable.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 12:21AM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:34PM

Discovery of the orgasm.

I'll bet now you're sorry you asked.

Date: April 29, 2019 02:38PM

Orgasms are the greatest proof that God is much cooler than any other spiritual leader.

Life is so pleasure-centric...I think we will each be relieved beyond words on the other side.

Date: April 29, 2019 11:55PM

Orgasms and beer..

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:39PM

The birth of my son.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 08:48PM

Could anything be better?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:44PM

Taking responsibility for my preggers gf & marrying her :)

then, being with her as she / we birthed our (9) children.

then, realizing ChurchCo is False, a rip-off...

Date: April 29, 2019 03:18PM

"Greatest" is quantitative, not qualitative.

My greatest moment was when I first experimented with alcohol. Completely innocent of its appeal and power, I lost ten years of my life. I got into recovery as I entered my 30s, but that's a decade I'll never get back.

Attempting to make this board-relevant, I compare my experience to possibly converting to LDS in my early 20s and becoming an enthusiastic TBM for ten years, only to discover the truth, abandon the church, and discover my capacity for critical thinking.

Date: April 29, 2019 03:25PM

Date: April 29, 2019 04:10PM

I think Lee Remick overacted a bit, but she got the point across. I was also fascinated by Jack Lemmon in a dramatic role.

Dick Van Dyke, a recovered alcoholic himself, departed from music and comedy in a powerful cautionary TV movie, "The Morning After," 1974. He was an advertising executive in decline and fall. The ending was so poignant as he called his wife to tell her he loves her and their children, then stumbles into a litter-strewn beachway underpass, collapses against a graffitied wall, opens a bottle of cheap wine and starts sucking on it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 08:54PM

A brutally frank and important post. Thank you, Caffiend.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 03:28PM

Nothing previously can compete with the primacy and recentness of right now.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 03:38PM

was getting a letter from the local bish claiming I'd asked to "have my name removed." That was a lie, but it's when I found out I had without knowing it resigned from the morman church! Yippee! I walked on air for a couple of weeks after that because of being so thrilled to be officially out!

Up to that big day, I'd been told the only official way out was to give them dirt to use against me for excommunication. I'd never do that because I hadn't committed sins. They were the liars and sinners, not me.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 04:02PM

are you trying to make me depressed ????

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 06:45PM

Birth...was a rough ride, but in the end - I cried w/ joy.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 08:35PM

Being loved by the man I love.

Date: April 29, 2019 09:00PM

I'm anonymous on this one, because I'm bashful:

There was never, ever any doubt, mi vida! I knew being an optimist would pay off in the long run. It's been the best six years of my life, and I'm looking forward to forever. If there is no forever after, sue me.

Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow It was the first album I bought after the mission. I had this cheesy record player and I would play the album over and over again. I was so in love with love, (too much G.D. reading as a youth!!) and I wanted to find True Love. That album has haunted me since September of 1967. And I'm playing it right now...

Love eluded me. And then it landed on me like a ton of Saucie feathers. It is so freaking intense! And it seems to have freed me from some of the constraints under which I'd been operating. Plus she's taught me to swear like an impudent sailor.

And let me assure any who are wondering: The mormon church is NOT a fan of the kind of love that the majority of us want to experience.

Date: April 29, 2019 09:08PM

And you said you never called a woman "hot."

(Rolling eyes)

Date: April 29, 2019 09:12PM

well, not in English...

Date: April 29, 2019 09:13PM

There we go.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 12:24AM

Date: April 30, 2019 12:55AM

I absolutely agree--and the distance is critical!

Date: April 30, 2019 02:28AM

Young people have a slang term, "PDA" -- Public Display of Affection. Perhaps there's an internet equivalent, "On-Line Display of Obsequious Devotion" or something?

E.O.D. I'm still miffed that our get-together with Hie never worked out. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'm stalking you!

Date: April 30, 2019 02:30AM

The internet comment is "get a (chat) room!"

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 08:45PM

So far, the contenders are,

-being published in my college's literary journal

-graduating with a BA

-seeing a whale swim next to the ship I served on (I grew up in landlocked Idaho, whales are practically mythical creatures there)

-the time I spent with Hebi (an alias), a shipmate of mine and the closest thing to an older sister I've ever had

Not major achievements, but it's what I've got.

Date: April 29, 2019 08:56PM

All very cool achievements--major in the way you portray them, for the question is by nature subjective.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:04PM

One of the greatest moments of my life was when I was handed a copy of Micheal Tellinger's book “The Slave Species of God” This led me to Zeccharia Sitchen's translation of “The Lost Book of Enki” from the Sumerian cuneiform tablets and a totally new concept of the possible creation of homo sapien.
I am a thinker and a researcher and I both evaluate and appraise things with which I come in contact.
Whether or not another human being agrees with me is moot because I have thought it through for myself.
And yes I recommend to everyone the reading of these tomes.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 10:10PM

I'm a pleaser. I always cared deeply about pleasing my parents. One day I realized my parents were enormously proud of me just the way I was and not because I had done anything particularly brilliant. That was a very pleasant moment in my life.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 01:25AM

I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I can't think of a single "greatest moment" because there have been a really lot of them, and on so many different levels.

There were so many occasions where I was really, authentically, "me"--and that feeling of inner integrity, which has happened on occasions throughout my life, has always been incredible.

The first time I can remember was when I was in second grade, and I realized I could make a difference in some other people's lives (there was "a situation," and I handled it), and I DID make that difference--and my Mom (who was with me) got SO ANGRY at me because no one (specifically: my teacher) had told me to do what I did. When I was doing it, I was so proud of myself....and then my Mom got so mad at me, and I've been confused by that ever since....but I never lost the memory of what it felt like to make a difference.

There were a number of perfect/"greatest" moments during the years when I went to Camp Yallani (Camp Fire Girls summer camp in the San Bernardino Mountains), when I felt totally at one with everything around me, and it was a glorious kind of transcendent feeling, when I learned that I COULD feel that way. (I had never felt like that before.)

Okay: the day when I received the letter from Archie Comic Books, when I was ten years old, which said they said they were buying my article about my Camp Fire group making diapers for Korean orphans...and the acceptance letter included a check for $25.00. That was my first article sale, and "the" beginning of my life as a professional writer. At that age I had no idea where I was going, but I knew that I was on my way. :)

[After that first sale to Archie Comics, I went to our local Woodland Hills weekly newspaper and offered to write a series of articles on the history of Woodland Hills, each of which would include mini-articles on our, still very much alive, 1920s REAL pioneers, who had come to our community back when we were a small suburb, with literal false fronts along Ventura Blvd. instead of stores. No money for my articles, of course (Woodland Hills was second-generation, but still pioneer, territory when I was growing up there), but lots of great credits I could use forever (and I did!).]

And as an adult, I have been fortunate to have had a number of "greatest moments" in my relationship life, and I feel so incredibly gifted to have been able to experience each one of them.

This is probably the most boring list of "greatest moments in life" ever written, but after reflecting on my life all of today, these really are mine, and I deeply treasure the memories of every one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 01:32AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 01:58AM

Walking out of Stanford University Hospital, knowing my husband was cured of cancer.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:01AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Walking out of Stanford University Hospital,
> knowing my husband was cured of cancer.

What an incredible feeling that must has been!

I am so happy for your husband, and for you!

Date: April 30, 2019 02:09AM

Thanks, Tevai !
:)

Date: April 30, 2019 02:17AM

Do you live near Stanford or just go there for the medical care?

Date: April 30, 2019 03:14AM

We travelled there for medical care. So impressed with everyone there.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:03AM

My first child was born in the Stanford Hospital. I had a private room with a balcony, which overlooked a splashing fountain and the birds chirped all day long. It was spring, and I kept the windows open, day and night.

The year I went to school in Europe, and travelled, afterward, with my parents. (Very cool people)

Coming home to America and my friends--crying when I saw the Statue of Liberty from the plane, before we landed, and having a hamburger and a milkshake at the airport.

Skiing
Hiking with my dog, and being alone in nature
My music

My wedding and honeymoon

Having my husband return home safely from his military deployment.

Glorious moments following the births of each one of my children.

Moving to the mountains of Utah, and this house, and Love and Family.

Breaking free of the cult. It was a lot like the way I feel now, each time I go into remission, and am free of pain.

Loud laughter! (See children)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.