Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:35PM

And God made him so !

https://www.today.com/video/mormon-college-valedictorian-comes-out-as-gay-in-viral-graduation-speech-1514829891931

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 02:42PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 30, 2019 02:43PM

"During a commencement ceremony at Brigham Young University, founded by the Mormon Church, valedictorian Matt Easton made an onstage pronouncement: “I stand before my family, friends and gathering class today to say that I am proud to be a gay son of God.”

Date: April 30, 2019 03:06PM

This was the "politically correct" thing for BYU to do. It hand picked this valedictorian ... it was no accident. It's a PR ploy in an attempt to win members back that have been leaving in the exodus out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:04PM

Perhaps they knew he was gay, but I have seen no statements to that effect from anyone involved. I doubt they knew, but if they did, I imagine that information will become public soon enough.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:04PM

and meanwhile Spencer Kimball and Boyd Packer are spinning in their graves.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:32AM

It is unlikely, perhaps extremely unlikely, that Matt Easton will remain in the mormon church for an appreciable length of time.
The more authentic a life he attempts to lead, the less "tolerance" he will be shown, and the less tolerable he will find mormon society. How much pressure to conform will he endure before calling it quits?

For the present, however, he is a useful tool for LDS PR efforts.

Date: May 01, 2019 01:33PM

That's precisely what he is to TSCC. A PR stunt.

What a ruse. They're hoping to win people back who've resigned over the changed policy.

Well, they aren't going to win the lost kids who committed suicide or the ones who were bullied out of high school back, are they?!

It's just shameful what's been done in the name of Jesus Christ.

Jesus would call it blasphemy if he were there in person.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:55AM

Whatever they say for the public to hear is not what they are talking about behind closed doors.

And I'm sure they didn't pick him for PR purposes.

I also think it is very unlikely he will remain in the mormon church, at least I HOPE he doesn't.

Date: May 01, 2019 01:34PM

I doubt he'll last long either.

But I differ that he was a ploy with those who chose him to be valedictorian. There was too much at stake for it not to be a ploy.

TSCC is trying to win back members who resigned since 2015. IMO it is too little, too late.

Time will tell.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 10:41PM

But would they have picked him if he'd said "I'm engaged - me and my boyfriend are so excited to be married" Methinks not.

Date: May 05, 2019 08:51AM

That may be the sequel to all of this.

to be cont.,

Pending further watershed moment for TSCC to 'get it right,' or risk losing more members to the exodus in their haste aka zealotry to protecting the family via the Family Research Council it was in cahoots with. That is on the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hate Watch List. TSCC was on its Hate Watch List along with the Family Research Council, but I have noted TSCC has been removed now, perhaps due to its recent change in policy.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 07:16PM

I thought the church only “ accepted “ it as long as you don’t have relations with the same sex. I’m sure he’ll stay if he can’t get married if he wanted to.

Date: May 05, 2019 09:25PM

If he's as intelligent as he seems, he'll outgrow TSCC. It's just a matter of time.

It wasn't until this spring's General Conference that the ban was lifted on children being allowed to be baptized who were children of gay parents. A gay person is still not allowed to hold a temple recommend or be baptized, or calling. I don't think that changed since this spring's GC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.