Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 09:45PM

It said something like "every member should read this:"

A lady went to the Bishop and said, "I won't be attending church anymore."

He said, "May I ask why?"

She said, " I see people on their cell phones texting and typing during the sacrament and other meetings. Some are gossiping, some just aren't living right, some are sleeping, some are staring at me! I never get home taught and never hold the 'best callings' there are just too many hypocrites."

The bishop was silent. Then he said, "Can I ask you to do something for me before you make your final decision?"

She said, "Sure, whats that?"

He said, "Take a spoon full of water and walk around the church two times and don't let any water fall on the floor. Can you do that?" She said, "Yes, I can do that!" She went and got a spoon full of water and walked around the church two times. She came back and proudly said, "It's done."

The bishop asked her, "Did you see anybody on their phone?; Did you see anyone gossiping?; Was anybody living wrong?; Did you see anyone sleeping?" She said, "I didn't see anything because I was so focused on this spoon, so the water didn't spill out."

He told her, "When you come to church, you should just focus on the Savior so that you don't fall. That's why Jesus said, "Come follow me, He did not say follow Mormons."

Don't let your relationship with God be determined by how others relate to God. Let it be determined by how focused you are with God."

~Anonymous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 09:45PM by cl2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 09:57PM

ziller can confirm this facebook post ~

ziller am spoon ~

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:11AM

There is no spoon. --Neo

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 09:58PM

Amazing! That did it. My testimony is restored. I'm going back this week!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:07PM

Wow. Again, I'm amazed at how the authorities blame the congregants for not appreciating their lousy product. They're definitely at fault. It only they would try harder to like it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:12PM

The concentration on the spoon is what allowed her to complete the challenge. But sitting in the chapel, spoonless, on what is she supposed to concentrate? I'd suggest her smartphone, since she'd be able to pick something that interested her.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:12PM

"If you don't feel the spirit while the speaker mumbles while reading a conference talk it's because you are an unworthy slacker!"

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:59PM

But if I had to place bets, I would bet that it never really happened. It sounds phony as hell.

Someone leaving because they "never get the best callings".

Leaving because they see people sleeping during meetings.

It doesn't ring true. Even if someone felt that way, they wouldn't list to the bishop those kinds of reasons as their reasons for leaving the church because (a) it makes it sound like they never had a "testimony", and (b) most adults in the church know (at least superficially) that in Mormonism, the flaws of fellow members are never valid reasons for "abandoning the gospel". It's a constant theme in lessons and talks and testimonies, ad infinitum. This phony story is just another one of those variations on a familiar theme.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:08PM

She left because milk was stripping. Something like that.

Date: May 01, 2019 12:09AM

You have it all wrong.

The stripping Nephite warriors (the "stripping warriors") were stripping while standing in a huge vat of milk at Sister Flinchbutt's home. That's why Thomas Marsh and his wife were so upset.

Thomas had planned to hire the "stripping warriors" to dance for his wife in a vat of grape juice on her birthday. But Sister Flinchbutt, whose birthday happened to be on the same day as Sister Marsh's birthday, heard about his plan and persuaded her husband to quickly hire the stripping warriors to perform at her house instead and in a vat of milk instead of in a vat of grape juice. They beat Marsh to the punch and the rest is distorted history.

Somehow the facts got all garbled up in someone's journal to the point that people nowadays are mistakenly talking about "milk strippings". Doesn't make any sense. First of all, milk can't strip and even if it could nobody would want to watch it strip.

The "stripping warriors" were very popular and are considered to be the forerunners of the modern Chippendale dancers. Another Mormon innovation that has been forgotten by history.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:11PM

I'd have spilled the water, having been startled by someone snoring !

:)

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:44PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd have spilled the water, having been startled
> by someone snoring !
>
> :)

Kathleen - I just love you and your comments like this - and I mean that in a non-profit way. Regards, AIC

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:48PM

AnonInCali Wrote:
> kathleen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd have spilled the water, having been
> startled
> > by someone snoring !
> >
> > :)
>
> Kathleen - I just love you and your comments like
> this - and I mean that in a non-profit way.
> Regards, AIC

Non-creepy, not non-profit. Otto Correct keeps doing that to me!

Date: May 01, 2019 12:42AM

Thank you, AiC !

So sweet of you to say !

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 09:32AM

My snoring in church has been interrupted by somebody spilling water on me.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:29PM

LOL! I had a friend who wrote for the Ensign, back in the 1970's and 1980's. This sounds just like her!

Wally is right. No one would leave a religion for such stupid reasons.

Those Mormons must carry a lot of spoonfulls of water around lots of ward houses, to keep from thinking about the lies, and polygamy, and money-grabbing. I love this story as a prime example of Mormon slight-of-hand brainwashing.

Keep the minions distracted!!!!!

Posted by: brotherofjared ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:32PM

This is a variant of what I was told before I agreed to go on a mission. "If you don't feel a calling, fast and pray until you do get a calling/spiritual witness." Being young, dumb and in love, I fasted and prayed for a weekend while I was off work. I'm here to tell you that with enough fasting and praying you will get some very strange feelings. Several years after my mission I realized that I can't base my life around abusing my body and mind and having auditory and visual hallucinations.

By having members do weird things against their better judgement, they become "church-broke" where they doubt their own common sense and regard some one else's judgement as superior to their own. At that point, it is difficult to list the pros and cons to being a part of the church or organization and decide to stay or go.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:38PM

brotherofjared Wrote:
> I'm here to tell you that with
> enough fasting and praying you will get some very
> strange feelings.

Funny line!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:41PM

As a Christian, I would want her to focus on Christ.
But can she do that people rambling about how "the Church" is true, how they love it, how it (not He) changed their lives?
Can she focus on Christ as she prepares for the 40(?) questions she must answer to maintain her temple recommend?
Can she focus on Christ when she must decide whether peppermint tea for her indigestion constitutes a breach of the Word of Wisdom?

This threat "prompted" a question: Do Mormons refer to Jesus more often as "the Savior" or as "the Lord?" I'm especially interested in contemporary usage.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 12:40AM

caffiend Wrote:

> This threat "prompted" a question: Do Mormons
> refer to Jesus more often as "the Savior" or as
> "the Lord?" I'm especially interested in
> contemporary usage.

I hear "the Savior" most often from Mormons in reference to Jesus. They seem to call him "the Savior" more often than they invoke his actual name.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 11:54PM

1. Nobody becomes an ex-Mormon because of phone zombies. We left because Mormonism was built on a lie.

2. Mormon services are all Mormons talking. Jesus isn't giving any input during sacrament meeting.

3. So the solution to seeing other people on their phones is to walk around with a spoon of water. That would be sooooo acceptable in sacrament meeting.

4. The message is typical of Mormon glurge about not leaving- "The church is perfect. You are the one who's wrong. If you see something wrong with out church, take a dose of Ignoreitall. Better yet, take a double dose."

5. Don't share this around too much. Friends don't let friends read glurge.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 06:52PM

This is brilliant!!!!

Excellent analysis.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 12:30AM

I agree with opinions here that this is a made-up story. Too perfect!

Real life, Bishop shouts at her and demeans her, gives her the spoon, she trips, breaks an ankle, goes to the hospital still clutching the spoon which the paramedics let her keep hold of, the ER doctor sees her holding the spoon and notes in her chart she’s an addict, this is seen by the insurance company who then refuse to pay the costs of care. She has to get a second job to pay off the hospital, gets fired from her first job for falling asleep due to the second night job.

Later she finds the spoon in her plastic bag of belongings from the hospital. It’s a lovely silver spoon but she has no memory of why she had it due to the trauma of having her broken ankle set without any painkillers. Later, the police show up to arrest her for theft, the Bishop has filed charges for stealing his heirloom silver spoon.

Date: May 01, 2019 03:13AM

dozing off and snoring loudly for 20 minutes or so. She's in Sacrament Mtg. and half the congregation is staring at her, as she recalls that she must have fallen asleep sometime after she had made a mental note of her disgust at Brother Flemlooger constantly staring at his cell phone and the point where she was wondering whether she could or should leave the church on account of the other congregation members' lack of reverence.

The Holy Ghost had tried to teach her a lesson about hypocrisy through her dream, but it escaped her notice entirely. Instead, she vowed to herself that if she ever caught the bishop off guard, she was going to ram a dry spoon right up his smug burthole.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 03:23AM

I walked out of the chapel and my day brightened considerably.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 09:36AM

Keep on the sunny side, the "out" side.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:07AM

Metaphorically, Don, you stepped off of the Treadmill to Zion - that first free footstep brought an ear-to-ear grin ...

Date: May 01, 2019 10:25AM

“Treadmill to Zion”. Hahahahaha
That’s perfect !!
:D

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:01AM

This story is a plagiarism of an old Buddhist tell how one should concentrate while meditating. While carrying a bowl of oil brimming to the top, walk around the market square. If you spill a drop off with your head. The woman was concentrating so well that the lord Buddha informed her that she was doing meditation practice in the MorgCo the false Church of Jesus Christ. After realizing her hunch was correct she left the church and went into a Buddhist monastery. Lesson to the Morgs: Don't mix your "true" religion with heathenish atheistic practices.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:24AM

Interesting! I have also heard this same lesson told by a non-Mormon preacher. I wonder where the Bishop first heard it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:14AM

Keep your eye on the carrot we are dangling, you asses!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:20AM

I believe it was Boyd K. Packer who said that "Some things that are true are not useful" so in the case of this story, maybe it's "Some things that are not true are useful!"
Anything to make sure the members know that any problems are their fault.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:28AM

Regardless of whether or not it's real (and I have my doubts), it's a straw man argument. It sets up the reason people leave as because of pride (wanting better callings) and being judgemental of others (essentially pointing out everyone else is just lazy) and the virtuous bishop points out that we should focus on our own salvation.

There are a lot of problems with this:
- The reasons she states she's leaving aren't the reasons why the majority of people are leaving. People leave for a lot of reasons. I doubt, people are phone next to them wouldn't break the top 10. There are real problems that the church isn't addressing and are using these types of examples as a redirect.

- The Bishop's message boils down to "stop caring about other people". I'm not a Christian, but isn't that a nice Christian message? That seems like kind of a horrible message, don't worry about other people, focus on yourself.

- The other problem with the Bishop is here is a member of his congregation with a list of problems, that to them (even if they are ridiculous) are big enough that they are planning on no longer attending. The Bishop's response isn't "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I'm aware of the problems, I've been working on several solutions to how to deal with what you've noticed, do you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them." No, he says, Here's a spoon with water in it, go away for awhile while I prepare something profound sounding when you get back. Don't worry, I'll continue to not fix any of the problems you've listed.

This is the definition of a "Faith promoting story", most of which when you look at with any kind of skepticism falls apart and makes things worse when you think about them for more than a few seconds..

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:33AM

Two things come to my mind,

First:
"He did not say follow Mormons." That's some great advice right there!

Second:
" I see people on their cell phones texting and typing during the sacrament and other meetings. Some are gossiping, some just aren't living right, some are sleeping, some are staring at me! I never get home taught and never hold the 'best callings' there are just too many hypocrites."

Gossips and hypocrites, by their fruits you will know them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:53AM

I just had to share as I thought it was so ridiculous, BUT so mormon.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:05AM

Now selling Blinders for Jesus.

(No need to be looking around, folks! Pay no attention to anything except what we tell you to focus on, Sheeple!)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 02:39PM

Don't let your relationship with God be determined by how others relate to God. Let it be determined by how focused you are with God.

-You realize that the Young family was recently excommunicated over this very idea. If you're not on-board 100% with the church's covenant path, then you're falling away and the church must cut you off to save itself.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 02:49PM

Come spoon me the savior said.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:28AM

Reminds of a motivational speaker who works in financial services industry. She said to her audience that each person is responsible for (working out) their own salvation, not anyone else's.

She also added that when good people acquired wealth, based on her experience, they became better people. People who were corrupt to begin with only became moreso after becoming wealthy. A unique insight from a self-made multi-millionaire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2019 10:34AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:11PM

Everyone has a right to focus on whatever they choose and to leave a church or stay for any reason.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:14PM

Yeah, every Mormon has the right to say fork you to Bishop Spoons! Just as long as they do it knifely.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 08:26PM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 04:45PM

When I told my Bishop why I was left he said, "Well I didn't come here to argue with you."
I said,"I'm not arguing. You asked why I left and I gave you my reasons why, racism, sexism, abuse, lies, coverups...the list is long and you don't have any real answers to my valid reasons so you just accuse me of arguing."
We agreed to disagree, shook hands and bid each other farewell.

Posted by: Dorothynli ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 06:57PM

I only rated the second counselor for my exit interview. When I pointed out the blatent racism in the B of M, he said, "Sister Dorothy, you've been listening to the devil."

I stood and walked him to the door.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 06:32PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 07:43PM

oh Gawd... just another gorpy, show and tell story, minus the

flannel board , designed for you bad, wandering , wondering

Mormons... OMG. It's supposed to put you back on the right track.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2019 08:43PM by saucie.

Posted by: wwwsmd ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:06PM

All saviors should be nailed to a tree. Makes it easier to adore their T<Christiness>

Posted by: Original MOI ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:15AM

So one is to walk around the chapel pretending Jesus is on the spoon?

Date: May 04, 2019 12:41AM

Jesus never came to our ward, on a spoon or otherwise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.