Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 07:59AM

I remember leaving the church 11 years ago. The 2 years previous were very hard on our marriage but we prevailed and beyond a great happy couple. (26 years in a month). The warning came as we were leaving from members AND family alike.
Too bad we disappointed them all. My marriage has flourished; my children are successful productive members of society and our business is still growing by leaps and bounds. I try to be humble in life but I did gloat just a little as a member came to my business recently. He and I are actually still good friends (only one from the ward although others use my business). My truck was parked out back with my new boat (a big boat) behind it.
"holy cow! How much do payments on something like that run you a month?"
'None when you pay cash..' (I think he sinned a little with envy)
He has a little disdain for the church as well; although he would NEVER risk the wrath of his wife nor his family. And he serves in the Bishopric.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 08:02AM

Everyone should leave the cult and live better lives. It worked for me.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 08:34AM

Should of told him that was the %10 you saved over the years by not paying tithe!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 08:40AM

People who are not interested in seeing you succeed are not your friends. Their opinions may be disregarded.

TBMs probably figure that their reward will come later. They will live in a mansion on a street paved with gold in the CK.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 08:58AM

You have damaged their house of cards, and they want to see you suffer. They are disappointed that god hasn't smacked you upside the head, since they believe in a god that does that sort of thing.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:11AM

I really like all of these comments; especially by summer. Our son-in-law's TBM father made a veiled-jealousy comment to my husband a little while ago. A certain government contractor for the Dept of Defense was laying off over 200 employees. The TBM father happily said to my husband: "Looks like your good days are over; your empire is collapsing!" My husband then said: "Sorry, that's not the company I work for; in fact, my company has me working a lot of over time." I wonder how he was able to wipe all of that egg off his face.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:57AM

Mormons are promised that if they pay their tithing before anything else they will be given so many blessings they cannot contain them.

It doesn't take Cousin Al to figure out this ain't happening.

Is it any wonder then that some of the Mormons feel great resentment when an exmo succeeds and appears to be genuinely happy? Salt in a wound? And, the exmo doesn't have to "claim" to be happier than anyone. Doesn't have the burden of maintaining a facade. And has extra dollars for the popcorn and movie and a Sunday.

So they tell their resentful little selves that at least they will have the last laugh when the veil is drawn closed at the CK and they are on the inside safely away from all the loud laughter.

Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:12PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons are promised that if they pay their
> tithing before anything else they will be given so
> many blessings they cannot contain them.
>
> It doesn't take Cousin Al to figure out this ain't
> happening.
>
>
> Is it any wonder then that some of the Mormons
> feel great resentment when an exmo succeeds and
> appears to be genuinely happy? Salt in a wound?
> And, the exmo doesn't have to "claim" to be
> happier than anyone. Doesn't have the burden of
> maintaining a facade. And has extra dollars for
> the popcorn and movie and a Sunday.
>
> So they tell their resentful little selves that at
> least they will have the last laugh when the veil
> is drawn closed at the CK and they are on the
> inside safely away from all the loud laughter.
I have experienced this exact scenario multiple times, with family members. The jealousy seethes out of them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:08PM

You can buy anything in this world with cash.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:10PM

How else could I have gotten the Y?

Date: May 02, 2019 12:11PM

I don't know. But do you have a boat?

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:41PM

After I had been out of the church for about 35 years and had acquired some very valuable property, my TBM brother-in-law said to my TBM father, "Well, Dad, how do you explain the fact that your only apostate child could buy all the rest of the family ten times over?" Dad could only say, "I'm sure something awful is going to happen to him."

Date: May 02, 2019 01:25PM

That is really sad.

If only the TBM Mormons could realize that their supposed highest standards that they brag about are about as low as you can go. One could get a very bad back attempting to stoop to their level.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 02:18PM

You're harshing their Schadenfreude buzz.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 02:33PM

I think really, really TBM types don't know what to do with the success of those that have left he church. If they are less TBM, not so much.

After I got my degree and started my engineering career, my not so TBM mom would express joy at my accomplishments, advancements, and rewards.

My turbo TBM dad would take a long pause and very seriously say "well.....I'll ask the lord to bless you".

The only thing I could figure was that since my success was not related to being a good TBM, which is all he ever wanted, thus giving him the credit because he joined the church before I was born and paved the way for me, he just couldn't deal with it....or, since the only way he knew how to succeed was by asking god, he would parrot that phrase back at me, and again, take credit for my success because he asked for it.

A real TBM has a hard time with the success of others, regardless of them being a full on TBM or an apostate. Especially if they themselves haven't been so successful. While my dad had a degree and worked in manufacturing management positions, he wasn't as successful with his career.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 02:46PM

TBMs will find a way to find fault with you no matter what. So what if you have a shiny new boat. You won't be sealed to your family in the celestial kingdom, so there! They will have a mansion in the hereafter and you will be on skid row. That's what keeps them paying tithing - the hope that in the end they will be better off than you and non-believers like you. That's what the gospel is all about.

Date: May 02, 2019 02:55PM

Yes. They just know to make sure to keep paying their AfterLife Insurance Policy premiums. That is their revenge when you are doing well.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 03:00PM

ha ha ha, "AfterLife Insurance Policy premiums." That should be written on the top of the tithing slip.

Date: May 02, 2019 03:03PM

It has a before death fire insurance rider.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 03:27PM

My life went from dreary to wonderful after leaving mormonism. My mormon family had no respect for me and assumed I'd live a dull threadbare life.

By their standards, I became prosperous and happier than any of them. But I think they were not perceptive enough to realize it. They still see me as the intimidated and abused child of the family.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 02:47AM

All of you posters write the ugly truth.

Mormons have to WIN IN THE END.

It took me several years out of the cult, to understand that those who wish for us to fail, are our enemies, even when they claim to love us. Even our own family members who gleefully anticipate our come-uppance, are working against us. We are not obligated to love or consider these people. We are certainly not obliged to help them in their cause against us.

The way the Mormons win, is to have the non-Mormons LOSE. It's a bloody contest! They can't grasp the concept of "Win-Win", which has been one of the bases of my life, and my business.

I, too, have been guilty of gloating. It's kind of fun, right? I'm not braggingly wealthy, but I have the capacity of enjoying everything to the fullest! I'm content with what I have. My children are not doctors and GA's, but I am 100% pleased with them. We love our life! I think that's what Mormons resent the most--that we love life, as it is, in the moment, on this planet. We are already living in "that mansion."

This kind of revenge is the sweetest!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 07:15PM

Mormonism uses judgmentalism to set themselves higher - why else is there a celestial kingdom only their worthiest members will go?

I have no use for that kind of judgmentalism anymore if I ever did.

If God didn't love so much diversity he wouldn't have created such a diverse and multi-faceted world. If heaven were only reserved for the worthiest of Mormons, there wouldn't be any need for proselytizing on this side of the vale or the other side. It would already be a "Mormon heaven." Silly concepts anyway.

I believe in Ecclesiastes that good and bad things happen to both the good and evil. Judgment will happen if and when there is one, but it isn't ours to say when, unless through the eyes of justice.

Where the "race is not to the swiftest, or the best, or whatever." But that "time and chance happens to us all." So I try not to outthink what if because of that. Or, as John Lennon wrote so eloquently, "Life is what happens when you're making other plans."

I've done okay with my life. It hasn't been an easy climb, but I've succeeded against the odds from some humble beginnings of my own. I believe I had some lucky breaks along the way. And some disadvantages I overcame to get where I'm at. And still there were setbacks.

I was too much of an independent free spirit to stay a Mormon. I couldn't see teaching my children a lie if I didn't believe it myself. At least I can say they are out also, including my birth son who left on his own volition, following his mission before I found him in 2005. He had figured out the scam by then, but still going through growing pains of his own. So all of my children are out now. I'm happy about that.

That makes four intelligent, independent, and successful adults right there. That must really irk a lot of Mormons. I don't see any of us going back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.