Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 09:25AM

Certain Mormon YouTubers post stuff about how they are teaching their very young children about the cult and their ways. Is this considered child abuse and should the authorities be called? These kids are way too young to be misguided the way they are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 09:29AM

Parents have every right to teach their children whatever they want to. There are no laws against this and there cannot be because there's no good way to state what parents can and cannot teach their own children.

I don't know why you're so agitated and tilting at windmills here.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:04AM

No.

I was fully indoctrinated as a child and I love my parents. They did their best. They were also indoctrinated when they were kids.

So were their parents.

I don't believe in victim blaming.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:12AM

So if a person's parents beat her, she's free to beat her own children? Or a sociopath was neglected and tortured as a child and hence has a right, as an adult, to neglect and torture others?

Your principle gives carte blanche to virtually any criminal. It obviates any responsibility to other people.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:20AM

I think he was refering to indoctrination only.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:26AM

I'm sure he was, but he stated the principle generally and the same logic applies to physical violence as to mental and emotional damage.

We are all victims of one thing or another. What differentiates us is the degree to which we each rise above those handicaps and take responsibility for our own acts regardless of what happened to us in childhood.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:35AM

"I was fully indoctrinated as a child and I love my parents. They did their best. They were also indoctrinated when they were kids."

I read it as referring to indoctrination specifically, not as a general statement as to what parents can do to their children because it was done to them.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:40AM

I know, and I am sympathetic to that view. But the principle becomes problematic pretty quickly if generalized.

It is incumbent on us, regardless of our own upbringings, to do our best not to let the damage spread into the next generation.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:45AM

Absolutely. I think that goes without saying. There are laws against many kinds of abuse and there are ways to report that abuse. The original question was asking people who are posting youtube videos showing the teaching of their young children about the "cult and their ways" and is that considered child abuse and if so, should authorities be called.

It's certainly true that there are other types of abuse that are forbidden by law and we should be diligent about that, not only in our own families, but in others too.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:17PM

Thank you, Devoted Exmo. Yes, I was speaking specifically about religious indoctrination. I don't think I was even remotely generalizing, although I appreciate Lot's Wife point and I agree with it.

I'm someone who thinks people should take responsibility for themselves and their opinions. I don't think my parents are evil for teaching me mormonism. It's definitely not child abuse.

I had a great childhood. Are my parents sad that I'm no longer a member of the church? Yeah, of course they are.

Are they proud of the man I'm becoming despite my apostate condition? Damn right they are.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:18PM

That's a great story, honklermaga.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:19PM

honklermaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they proud of the man I'm becoming despite my
> apostate condition? Damn right they are.

Lucky!

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 08:30AM

Lot's Wife..... Don't generalize it. You can't. It is way too far of a stretch to do so. PHYSICAL abuse, such as being beat or starved, etc. SHOULD be reported. As much as everyone here knows this is a cult, as long as it is an established religion, parent's are free to teach their kids what they want.

You cannot generalize that teaching of any "religion" is abuse worthy of being reported to the police or state social services.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 09:01PM

Yes, it's child abuse.

Unless they make donations to the inter-faith community. Then it's respectable.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:19AM

It would help to have the example you're talking about.

If the parents are teaching mormon doctrine that is not child abuse per se.

If the parents are teaching fasting. That is not abuse.

If the parents are forcing a one year old to not eat or drink for 24 hours because it is fast sunday that is child abuse.

Without context we can't really address the issue.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:24AM

Al Fox Carraway.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:53AM

Do you have a linked example?

Date: May 02, 2019 11:56AM

Date: May 02, 2019 11:57AM

Time stamp 7:25.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:05PM

Alternatively awful. But who knows. Maybe these kids will become the Osmonds of their generation.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 08:18PM

While I'm not the world's biggest Osmond fan, I will conceded that most members of the family have at least some talent. If Al's tots displayed any talent in the video, I missed it.

What's the deal with "Easter Nativity Sets" (which Al pronounces "Naytivity") anyway? Is that a Mormon thing, or are the evangelicals using them as well? Does the name even make sense?

Al seems to me to be a rather dim bulb who has, nonetheless, found a decently paying gig for herself. I find her videos and her teaching of religious principles to her children to be quite sickening, but it's certainly within her rights to teach what she wants. If I were she, I would be more concerned with the children's language development.

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Alternatively awful. But who knows. Maybe these
> kids will become the Osmonds of their generation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 11:29PM by scmd1.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:12PM

It's not at all illegal to show pictures of Jesus and talk about him to their kids.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:13PM

The kid is already calling him Jesus. They are going to be so warped later in life. Al knows what she is doing is wrong, she is a convert herself!

Date: May 02, 2019 12:14PM

I mean calling him God.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:21PM

If all people who can identify Jesus in a picture is doomed, it's already too late for humanity. But I suspect that's not our biggest problem.

I think a little perspective is in order here.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:22PM

I'm still doubting Thomas regardless of Dieter.

Date: May 02, 2019 12:49PM

Doubts are my favorite.

Date: May 02, 2019 03:14PM

Seasoned with some strong skepticism they can be a veritable feast.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 01:08PM

Which will come first for Al's kid, baptism or a tattoo?

But I do like the idea that her kid can sin and then point to mom's tats and say, "well, at least I don't wear my sins on my sleeves!"

Date: May 02, 2019 03:15PM

Isn't that adorbs!

Just imagine all the Mormon kiddies tugging their daddy's beards and saying the same thing!

Date: May 02, 2019 03:18PM

I hate to think of all the piercings and body jewelry.

Date: May 02, 2019 03:20PM

It is a good thing they changed their Initiatory. I wonder how many Prince Edwards got caught in the anointing...

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 03:05PM

Religions allow parents to teach their kids that sickness is caused by sin, demons, etc.

It only seems to be abuse when they try and beat the devil out or the child dies from lack of medical attention.

So the path seems pretty broad as to what can be taught, but it can narrow quickly if the teaching results in injury or death.

Mormon indoctrination isn't as bad as it gets by any means.

Date: May 02, 2019 03:16PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> Religions allow parents to teach their kids that
> sickness is caused by sin, demons, etc.

And demons choosing particular organs to inhabit...

Date: May 02, 2019 04:04PM

Demons or hamsters?

Date: May 02, 2019 04:12PM

Ferrets

Date: May 02, 2019 04:15PM

You're into that now, Mr. Gere?

Date: May 02, 2019 04:17PM

It's what happens when your parents show you pictures of Jesus.

Date: May 02, 2019 04:15PM

Ouch!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 07:03AM

I find this video cute. Now I know of lds parents who make their children fast a whole 24 hours on fast Sunday starting at age 8! That I think is wrong!

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 12:23AM

Al Fox Carraway is prego again. This is bad news, as the new kid will also be brainwashed for life.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 05:06AM

Highly dangerous to let the state completely control the raising of children. It is creeping dictatorship.

The only time they should be involved os if there is genuine abuse taking place.

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 10:51AM

There is no child abuse there, many children learn about Jesus, you or I can't tell other people how to raise there children, this is a slippery slope, nobody wins, you can't force your opinions on others just like they can't force there opinions on you. You really want the government in your home and tell you what you can or cannot do?? Everyone has the right to live as they choose religious or not, that is why God gave us free will. Anything other than that we are all just robots, nobody on any side of the fence wants to be a robot. This situation of religion vs no religion will never be solved. Just like every other problem in this world. My favorite quote is "It is what it is", just try to save yourself and get to the end of this life any way YOU see fit, because you not are going to change the world, you or I don't have the power.

Date: May 25, 2019 10:59AM

Maybe the state could teach the children things like "always trust the government", "report on your parents regularly", "obey the president" etc... Oh wait... They do... "I pledge allegiance to the duopoly ruling this country's politics, and their right to take all my property, money and freedoms, with social justice warriors for all."

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 10:22PM

Yeah, kids are indoctrinated everywhere, including public schools.

News media picks and chooses what they want to show to sway opinion.

I could give many examples, but I would end up offending someone who has been indoctrinated.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 03:43AM

Yeah! Why let parents indoctrinate their children!

Surely indoctrination of children should be left up to the authorities?

You know there's a possibility that there might be a problem with that idea...

And Angry if "certain YouTube channels" offend you, why would you watch them?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 03:45AM by matt.

Date: May 28, 2019 08:48AM

Because the authorities never indoctrinate anyone right? "I pledge allegiance"... "All men are created equal" (they're not!!!).

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 08:20AM

Humans are incapable of good judgement at all times, so we have no right to freedom. We each should self-incarcerate and never speak again.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 08:39AM

No court of law would consider teaching about Jesus to be abusive. Even if it's Mormon Jesus.

A friend of mine had her husband (non-Mormon husband - they were separated) take her to court because he thought that three years old was too young to be going to church.

The judge actually slammed his fist on the table and said, "Three years old is not too young to be going to church, this child seems to enjoy going and she's going to continue to go to church!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.