Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:00AM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/05/01/transgender-weightlifter-mary-gregory-smashes-womens-world-records/23720231/

My buddies and I were talking about this last night. It was quite the lively debate!

The 2 main opinions were:

1. Totally fair, full stop.
2. Obviously not fair, who are you kidding?

Curious what your thoughts are on this. Did Mary Gregory legitimately break these world records or is it a sham?

All of my friends and I have no issues with anyone transitioning (except kids, of course). Adults can and should do what makes them the most happy.

But then for a biological man to compete against biological women in something like weightlifting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:08AM

That is a male, don't even try to argue with me. Isn't this considered cheating?

Date: May 02, 2019 10:16AM

Biological male, yes. But she identifies as a woman.

Not cheating because they don't use biology as the criterion for what qualifies someone as a woman. They awarded her the records.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 08:19AM

Biology, physiology, and anatomy tells us that men and women differ in many ways physically.

To have someone "tell" us, they identify as female to enter a strength competition for women is wrong..

I believe for national sports organizations and the Olympics now have women prove their women-ness thru a series of physicals and blood tests...proving their BODY is female, not just their "feelings"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:19AM

Outrageous!!

My skirts are in an uproar!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:21AM

Are you kilting at windmills?

Date: May 02, 2019 10:25AM

+1!

Date: May 02, 2019 10:31AM

Please stop. He is a Male and always will be. He is not a her.

Date: May 02, 2019 10:35AM

You seem to be an advocate for a B&W world.

The Technicolor world is certainly way more messy but it does have its attractions.

Date: May 02, 2019 10:42AM

Not at all. But this trans fad is just that. And it is getting out of control.

Date: May 02, 2019 10:49AM

So, if it's a fad, you can simply choose to not become trans and let everyone else do whatever they want to do. Easy peasy.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 08:37AM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, if it's a fad, you can simply choose to not
> become trans and let everyone else do whatever
> they want to do. Easy peasy.

It doesn't work like that. They wish to change the entire language, will abuse you if they use pronouns they don't like or have a binary restrooms.

And they are producing propaganda to ensure it becomes more and more common in coming generations. According to these cultural Marxists, you're evil if you're cis-male.

Or there is the other view, which is to pretend gender doesn't exist and men and women are physically the same, and it's all a social construct. In which case, make everyone non-binary, gender-fluid or whichever identity is cooked up this week.

For those who wish to deplete the world's population, it is also a method of voluntary sterilization in some cases.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 04:52PM

"Cultural Marxists" again, the conspiracy of people who planted fake evidence on Neanderthals and Denisovan DNA 50,000 years ago.

Now they're in gymnasiums and bathrooms? What are we to do?

Date: May 03, 2019 09:06PM

Erm, no. Cultural Marxists are a contradictory bunch, whose main job is to make society unworkable.

Such contradictions (or dialectics? LOL) include denying there are different origins for different people, and then pleading for positive discrimination for some of those groups they deny are different. Or in this case pleading that women can be equal to men physically, and that women can have penises and men can give birth. (Not making this up!)

By the way, did you work out that Denisovan and Neanderthal conundrum yet? That different species have contributed to different types of human... According to scientific evidence... But of course since the idea that Europeans and Asians are a bit different to Africans in some way is anathema to social justice warriors, so we can't admit that can we? After all race doesn't exist and humans from different parts of the world are physically and genetically indistinguishable, right?

Then there's the old cultural Marxist cherry about toxic masculinity and how dangerous it is... Pitched against the idea that any birth-assigned male can use female restrooms and showers if xyr/ze identifies as female.... Well you can see the consequences of that thinking in this thread! Wave goodbye to cis-female sports and spaces.

Date: May 03, 2019 09:18PM

I now identify as gender-fluid. Jordan can be a boy or a girl's name, or that of a non-assigned person.

Next week, I think will identify as female for a while. I will take on all comers at female boxing, and insist to use the ladies' communal washing facilities. I don't intend to get any surgery.

Anything else is cis-het oppression, by people who uphold the gender binary. I take it you won't be prejudiced about any of this.

p.s. I am also intending to reassign my race like Rachel ?Doleziel and Martina Big. Maybe trans-species in the near-future.

Date: May 04, 2019 02:10AM

You seriously didn't read the answer to your post on the Neanderthal/Denisovan nonsense? I guess your reappearance indicates that you didn't run into Occam after all.

Feel free to read--apologies ahead of time for the intrusion of science--and reply if you wish.

------------

Jordan's argument is that 1) races exist; 2) they are behaviorally and perhaps intellectually significant; and 3) Europeans arose from a combination of African with Neanderthal DNA while East Asians arose from a combination of African with Denisovan DNA.

Note the following.

First, "The analysis showed that Denisovans were much more closely related to Neanderthals than to Homo sapiens. . ." So one would expect that those who inherited either set of DNA would not differ very much. That leaves little room for claims that the "races" are significantly different, particularly because the distribution of Neanderthal genes, Denisovan genes, and a combination of the two are distributed along a normal curve rather than having any clear boundaries.

Second, "the new DNA sequence also shows that Native Americans and people from East Asia have more Neanderthal DNA, on average, than Europeans." It therefore makes no sense to say that Neanderthal DNA is what make the European "race." If that were true, Native Americans would be more European than Germans; and Fijians "whiter" than Britons.

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/60-1301/trenches/311-hominin-neanderthals-humans-siberia

Clearly those who believe in "cultural Marxism" would not last long if they ran into Occam in a dark alley.

Date: May 02, 2019 10:49AM

Thanks for your opinion. You're just repeating yourself now, so unless you have something novel to contribute to the discussion you're just taking up thread space.

Date: May 03, 2019 09:33AM

honklermaga Wrote:
> Thanks for your opinion. You're just repeating
> yourself now, so unless you have something novel
> to contribute to the discussion you're just taking
> up thread space.

Trying to shut me up, eh? Not going to work, and I made several "novel" points there. Like most of your kind, you don't believe other people should be allowed to express another opinion.

In the majority of cases, there is no scientific evidence to back your opinion. A few people are hermaphrodites, but very few. The rest is what you guys like to call "a social construct".

Date: May 03, 2019 09:45AM

You can't block people with different opinions here. This isn't your Facebook echo chamber.

If people wish to get expensive surgery, that's up to them, but try not to create a pseudo-scientific house of cards...

Date: May 03, 2019 11:04AM

Unless you are the poster "Angry" and changed your screen name, I clearly wasn't talking to you.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 06:45PM

Most genetic abnormalities are celebrated in sport, whether it is having the general body shape of a refrigerator (linemen) or being 7'2", or being a 4'11" female gymnast.

Date: May 03, 2019 08:51PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:35AM

in b 4 ~ proves men are better at everything ~

including being a woman ~

in b 4 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzrem4U298

Date: May 02, 2019 11:36AM

True! Proof!

Date: May 02, 2019 11:38AM

in b 4 ~ I'm going to go with That Never Happened for $500 ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:37AM

Soviet olympic contestants

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 12:10PM

Just you wait men until the wimen all become scientists in developed countries with the sole goal of creating enhancing genetics to win back their weightlifting clout!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 01:28PM

... wins Miss America.

Date: May 02, 2019 01:32PM

How do you know one hasn't already?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 01:49PM

You just blew my mind.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 01:37PM

lurking in Wrote:
> ... wins Miss America.

You are right.

A trans woman winning Miss America would be a significant event on many levels.

Not so much for the FACT of her winning, but more for what that fact would indicate about American culture and society at that, future, moment in history.

Date: May 03, 2019 09:40AM

... not for the beauty and personality of the contestants.

Anyway, all the real progressives know beauty competitions are a symbol of patriarchal oppression and "the male gaze". So they must be banned now. :D

Date: May 02, 2019 01:35PM

The old Pontiac Trans-Am probably has a niche market...

Date: May 03, 2019 08:22PM

Trans Am. . .

Wasn't that an airline?

Date: May 03, 2019 09:09PM

Ah, my little chickadee, you are thinking of the fabulous TWA, Trans World Airlines. Such freedoms we had back then!

Date: May 04, 2019 02:12AM

Ah damn. I missed so much by not being born in the 19th century!

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 09:45PM

I participated in track & field in high school and college (walk-on). My best mark was 6' 6" in the high jump. There were three jumpers better than me on the college team so I never made the travel team. As a woman I would have been a superstar.

I have heard young male athletes say things like, "If I was a woman I would be the state champion." I usually reply, "If you were a woman your physiology would be different and you wouldn't be as fast." I guess I was wrong.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 09:52PM

Billie Jean King beat Bobbie Riggs.

I don't think she could have won Miss America.

We are all going somewhere new.

Fasten your seat belts and put your hands in the air.

This was my poem for the day.

Date: May 02, 2019 09:54PM

I am so excited to see you come out of your shell !!!!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:04PM

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:03PM

I don’t care either. I mean it’s weight lifting.

However, even if she had gender reassignment surgery, it would still be unfair as she has been benefiting from testosterone her entire life since puberty and so naturally has more muscle mass.

Effectively, this is juicing.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:18PM

Yes.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:57PM

I think this illustrates how politicized it’s become. They let her keep the records because otherwise there would be hell to pay. Sometimes it’s better to look stupid and still have a job.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:09AM

The officials were put in a no win situation. I would be trying to start judging cake baking contests instead if I were them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 05:49AM

As with any sport, what flies or doesn't fly is up to the sports federation. If it's an Olympic sport, the IOC will also have its say.

Date: May 03, 2019 08:29AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:13AM

How about we further subdivide for genetic traits instead of just genders?

Date: May 04, 2019 02:13AM

Mere details. If you have a good mantra, you can't risk it by looking at actual facts.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:21AM

..."hey!! What about us?.... What are we?.......chopped liver?"

..."Please RFM, stop the hate!!"

http://www.iheartberlin.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/drag-show-girls.jpeg

Posted by: Vahn421 ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 08:18PM

This debate is silly. If you're ok with this, what it means is that in 20 years, people with penises will take all the physical world records that those with vaginal currently have. Lol. There is no debate, just people without any foresight.

Date: May 03, 2019 09:07PM

But you can't say that, it's transphobia and cis-het patriarchal oppression.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 10:53PM

Some of you guys are seriously behind the times.

Forget Caitlyn Jenner.

It is now medically possible for a person to develop physically as their innate gender with proper treatment as a pre-teen so they will never develop physical secondary sex characteristics.

You won't know and you won't be able to "tell."

If you have a surgically constructed vagina or penis and the natural anatomical and muscular development of someone of the same genetic sex, why shouldn't you be able to participate in competitive sport if you so chose?

This is no longer fiction.

This is now.

This young man was forced to compete with girls in Texas because he was assigned female sex at birth:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-texas-girls-title

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 10:54PM by anybody.

Date: May 04, 2019 02:15AM

Parents and physicians have been assigning male gender to girls and female gender to boys for many decades. But we'll ignore that fact so we can pretend that society has never faced such questions before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.