Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:47PM

This would never happen to the "prophet"

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/prominent-clergy-scholars-accuse-pope-francis-of-heresy-in-open-letter

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/distinctly-catholic/heresy-accusation-letter-deconstructed

Prominent clergymen and scholars including Fr. Aidan Nichols, one of the best-known theologians in the English-speaking world, have issued an open letter accusing Pope Francis of committing heresy. They ask the bishops of the Catholic Church, to whom the open letter is addressed, to "take the steps necessary to deal with the grave situation" of a pope committing this crime.

The authors base their charge of heresy on the manifold manifestations of Pope Francis' embrace of positions contrary to the faith and his dubious support of prelates who in their lives have shown themselves to have a clear disrespect for the Church's faith and morals.

"We take this measure as a last resort to respond to the accumulating harm caused by Pope Francis's words and actions over several years, which have given rise to one of the worst crises in the history of the Catholic Church," the authors state. The open letter is available in Dutch, Italian, German, French, and Spanish.

Among the signatories are well-respected scholars such as Father Thomas Crean, Fr. John Hunwicke, Professor John Rist, Dr. Anna Silvas, Professor Claudio Pierantoni, Dr. Peter Kwasniewski, and Dr. John Lamont. The text is dated "Easter Week" and appears on the traditional Feast Day of St. Catherine of Siena, a saint who counseled and admonished several popes in her time.

The 20-page document is a follow-up to the 2017 Filial Correction of Pope Francis that was signed originally by 62 scholars and which stated that the Pope has “effectively upheld 7 heretical positions about marriage, the moral life, and the reception of the sacraments, and has caused these heretical opinions to spread in the Catholic Church,” especially in light of his 2016 exhortation Amoris Laetitia.

The authors of the open letter state in a summary of their letter (read below) that it has now become clear that Pope Francis is aware of his own positions contrary to the faith and that the time has come to go a "stage further" by claiming that Pope Francis is "guilty of the crime of heresy.”

"We limit ourselves to accusing him of heresy on occasions where he has publicly denied truths of the faith, and then consistently acted in a way that demonstrates that he disbelieves these truths that he has publicly denied," the authors state.

They clarify that they are not claiming Pope Francis has "denied truths of the faith in pronouncements that satisfy the conditions for an infallible papal teaching."

"We assert that this would be impossible, since it would be incompatible with the guidance given to the Church by the Holy Spirit," they state.

In light of this situation, the authors call upon the bishops of the Church to take action since a "heretical papacy may not be tolerated or dissimulated to avoid a worse evil.”

For this reason, the authors “respectfully request the bishops of the Church to investigate the accusations contained in the letter, so that if they judge them to be well founded they may free the Church from her present distress, in accordance with the hallowed adage, Salus animarum prima lex (‘the salvation of souls is the highest law’). The bishops can do this, the writers suggest, “by admonishing Pope Francis to reject these heresies, and if he should persistently refuse, by declaring that he has freely deprived himself of the papacy.”

The authors first present in detail – and with theological references to substantiate their claims – the different positions against the faith Pope Francis has shown himself to hold, propagate, or support, including “seven propositions contradicting divinely revealed truth.”

One of the heresies the authors accuse Pope Francis of committing is expressed in the following proposition: “A Christian believer can have full knowledge of a divine law and voluntarily choose to break it in a serious matter, but not be in a state of mortal sin as a result of this action.” Many of these heretical statements touch on questions of marriage and the family and are to be found in Amoris Laetitia, but there is also a new claim made by Pope Francis in 2019 – namely, that the “diversity of religions” is “willed by God” – that is listed in the open letter.

In one section of the open letter, the authors list the many prelates as well as lay people, who, despite openly dissenting from Catholic doctrine and morals — either by word or by deed — have been by Pope Francis either publicly praised (such as Emma Bonino) or raised to influential positions (such as Cardinal Oscar Rodrigez Maradiaga). On this list are names such as Cardinal Blase Cupich, Cardinal Godfried Danneels, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, Bishop Gustavo Zanchetta, and Bishop Juan Barros.

The fact that Pope Francis never responded to the dubia (questions) concerning Amoris Laetitia published by Cardinals Carlo Caffarra, Joachim Meisner, Walter Brandmüller, and Raymond Burke is mentioned. Moreover, the authors point out that Pope Francis has changed the members of the Pontifical Academy for Life to such an extent that orthodox Catholic experts have been replaced by heterodox experts, such as Father Maurizio Chiodi.

Addressing the bishops of the world – among whom are to be found all the present 222 cardinals – the authors of the open letter express their gratitude toward those bishops who have defended Catholic doctrine by their own personal witnesses.

“We recognise with gratitude that some among you have reaffirmed the truths contrary to the heresies which we have listed, or else have warned of serious dangers threatening the Church in this pontificate,” they state. Here, the dubia cardinals, but also Cardinal Willem Eijk, are mentioned. The authors also thank Cardinal Gerhard Müller for his Manifesto of Faith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 12:01AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 12:23AM

So in other words, the conservative wing of the church is unhappy with Francis? I'm sure they are. Just like the Curia (entrenched Vatican bureaucracy) is unhappy with him. However, their words will have about as much effect as if they howled in the wind.

And yes, faithful Catholics can and do disagree with the Pope.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 12:35AM

Francis and his foes are locked in disagreement about a number of matters, none of which are the abuse of children and the protection of abusers. Clearly the clergy do not believe victims of molestation are a high priority.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 12:37AM

I agree. They are not talking about the one thing that they *need* to be talking about.

Date: May 04, 2019 12:50AM

It's the usual institutional imperative. Take the status quo for granted and argue about differences between the various internal power centers. Since children are not a power center, they get no attention.

Francis has had six years and he has been overwhelmed with internal matters. That won't change anytime soon. The only way the situation will improve is if outside authorities intervene.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 01:03AM

>The only way the situation will improve is if outside authorities intervene.

May be happening

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-church-los-angeles-investigation-archdiocese-sex-abuse-20190503-story.html

Date: May 04, 2019 01:06AM

It is happening all around the US and in many other countries. It is interesting, in that regard, that the protest letter is not available in English.

It is true that the center of gravity in the RCC is not in the English-speaking world, but this is another indication that they really don't care about what is roiling the United States.

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 03:02AM

Seems to me that Francis should issue a manifesto of sorts. Now where might I find a template for that? Oh, yes –

"The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as Pope of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place…"

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 03:04PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 03:21PM

do catholics still burn heretics at the stake ? ~

will it be on pay-per-view ? ~

wood watch / 10 ~

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 05:41PM

I'm kinda enjoying the fact he's viewed as a shit disturber by the RC beurocracy.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:21PM

I think here were nineteen priests who accused him. What is hardly he entire Catholic heirarchy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 06:21PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 10:09PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think here were nineteen priests who accused
> him. What is hardly he entire Catholic heirarchy.

Exactly. Popes have had to put up with far worse - invasions, revolutions, reformations and assassination attempts - not to mention the significant numbers of people who left after Vatican II and the dropping of the Latin mass. Look up "sedevacantism" etc.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:46PM

Who will provide me with popcorn ?

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:48PM

Scootch over on the couch. I have the popcorn. Who are we rooting for the witches or the Warlocks?

Charlatans taking issue with other charlatans. This is rich...

HH =)

Date: May 07, 2019 12:49PM

Meanwhile, the children. . .

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:51PM

Pope corn?
Papal corn?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:46PM

This is like a mafia turf war.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:23PM

Since the prophet owns LDS Inc., he can fire any troublemakers. All the church members would know is several apostles got excommunicated. The prophet holds all the cards. An LDS prophet in his organization is more powerful than a pope.

Date: May 07, 2019 04:18PM

Interesting question.

I don't think he CAN fire apostles. He can't even formulate new doctrine without unanimity among the apostles. The only case of a "firing" I can remember was the removal of one of them for practicing polygamy in the 1940s or so. And that required unanimity among the others.

If several apostles were simultaneously removed now, there would be hell to pay. As a practical matter, the prophet's position is not that different from the pope's.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.