Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: usedtoknow ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 01:58PM

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted on here. I have a family member getting married in Nauvoo and while it's a bit of a drive for me to go there, I decided it would still be good to see some family members I haven't seen in a while. I'm not sure how this will go...will it feel strange being in Nauvoo since I'm no longer a member? There will be several others who can't go in the temple so I won't be alone but I did visit that town when I was a kid and now it feels very weird going back. Luckily after many many years of not going to church, my family has respected that about me, and doesn't ever ask about it. We'll see how this goes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 02:42PM

Good luck. Time and distance will make this easier for you, and it is always interesting to reconnect with the extended family--people you have known for a lifetime--and find out what has happened to them.

Sometimes, you need to make an effort to not become upset at Mormon rudeness. Remember, whatever happens, to not take it personally!

Be happy to see everyone. Be positive, and stand up for yourself, and keep the focus on why you are there. This has nothing to do with the cult--except, being locked out of the temple ceremony has to do with the cult--but it has to do with your family and the bride and groom and celebrating.

If anyone brings up the subject of religion, just say something like, "Let's not talk about church or work--this is a party! Doesn't the bride look beautiful. What are your children doing these days?"

If anyone is rude to you, say, "Excuse me, I'm going to get some punch," and walk away.

You will probably have a great time, especially since your family has had time to adjust, and so have you. You know that it's useless to debate with Mormons. Enjoy the cake, and Nauvoo in the Spring.

Please return and report!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.