Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 04:50PM

This happens to non-missionaries and non-LDS folks, of course.

Just worse somehow as these missionaries were outside the official sight seeing area, climbed to a slippery rock incline.

"Parents of an American tourist who plunged to his death from popular tourist spot have returned to the place where their son died and revealed the chilling last photo he took.

Missionary with the Church of Latter Day Saints, Gavin Paul Zimmerman, 19, was with a group of friends at Cape Solander, south of Sydney, when he fell into the ocean.

Almost a year since the fatal incident, the young missionary's family made the difficult journey from Utah to the popular whale-watching cliff where their son died."

"Gavin has been working at his church's Sydney mission since 2017 and was visiting the popular cliff with a group of missionaries on July 23 last year.

Mr Zimmerman was thought to be taking a selfie when he lost his balance and plunged ten metres into the sea below."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6994507/The-chilling-photo-American-tourist-plunged-death-Sydney-whale-watching-cliff.html#comments

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 04:51PM by carameldreams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 04:54PM

He was spared a whole life of Mormonism.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:12PM

Or a chance to realize, in his own time, that the church is a fraud and then to spend the rest of his life in any way he chose.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:51PM

I knew you were an optimist.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 07:33PM

Odds are greater than 50% for RMs at this point, I'd guess. Time is on our side--unless the time is cut short.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:16PM

Anytime someone dies that young and so senselessly is a tragic loss for them and their loved ones.

Date: May 05, 2019 05:24PM

I know my bias against missions makes this seem worse. Not a fan of sending those living in a bubble to make very adult decisions in lands often far away.

But selfies are a huge problem as well.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:32PM

Next they'll be sending them at 17, the day after high-school graduation.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:48PM

Tragic. So sad for his family.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 05:51PM

At least two of my nephews were sent at 18. One was married almost as soon as he returned home from mission and his feet landed at BYU. The other is still out.

Barely time to grow up at all and before they know it they're getting married before they're ready to support a family. Putting the cart before the horse. Not exactly how their parents started out. But their parents are more concerned their boys might lose their testimony, so what the heck.

Their girls haven't gone on missions. Their girls are not married yet, and they are older than their boys. Maybe they were starting to worry they were running out of chances if they didn't do something quick fast. They want to insure they'll have grandchildren and they'll be raised in TSCC. Jobs and education will have to come second to that. That's my brother's priorities. Past stake missionary president that he is. Did I mention zealot?!

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 06:56PM

Sadly this happens several times a year where I live and the cliffs are not that dramatic, but deadly if you are dumb.

I like the beaches and cliffs in California where they warn you with little pictograms how the Ocean can kill so even Asian tourists and mormon missionaries can understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakapiai_Beach#/media/File:Hanakapiai_Beach_Warning_Sign_Only.jpg

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 06:58PM

At least he didn't fall into a volcano or something. I hate selfie accidents.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:03AM

Apparently there are just too many of them. They don't accept alcohol-induced stupid deaths for the same reason.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 07:34PM

Especially this recent trend of taking “ funeral home selfies”.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 05, 2019 09:11PM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Especially this recent trend of taking “ funeral
> home selfies”.

Yeah, no one should have their phone/camera out at a funeral.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 05:57PM

I know lots of Mormons who think nothing of it and post on Facebook. Not necessarily, a selfie, but body in the casket.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 06:34PM

God had a special job for him in the CK and called him home early... clearly wasn't an accident since the HG was guiding his every footstep... I don't think this is funny, but I am sure the grieving family heard these types of condolences from the well meaning bisphoric!

Date: May 08, 2019 06:56PM

Indeed. The comfort afforded will be in kind with TSCC beliefs. There is nothing else they can offer.

Just wish no more missions for anyone: young, retired, etc.!

Stop telling people what they should think and do!

Just stop!

RESPECT

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.