Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 05:38PM

Okay, so Mormons can have non-temple marriages and still get sealed soon thereafter. But what does this accomplish? Here's why I ask. Most non-LDS marriages are still officiated by a clergy person. And they mostly want it to be inn a romantic or spiritual setting, whether on the beach or in a grand cathedral-type edifice. It makes them feel special. So will Mormon bishops now be asked by the young couple to start doing weddings on the beach at Cancun, being flown there by the bride's parents? Mormon chapels are hardly romantic or stately. So how will people arrange things now to ensure that they have a festive, personal experience with all their friends and relatives?

In the long term I can see this backfiring as more couples realize that a temple sealing is the B-team compared to their personal, romantic, love-based wedding ceremony. Word will get around.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 05:48PM

The local municipal judges in Mormon belt just ~happen~ to be Mormon and are happy to charge a few bucks to perform the marriage. They'll even throw in some self-righteous Mormon advice while they are at it.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 05:49PM

If it's "just a wedding" and not a sealing, it would be better to have someone ordained from the internet. Bishops are required to preach when they do civil ceremonies. I don't see that changing. It's as bad as funerals.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 08:30PM

Exactly.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:42PM

Possibilities include justices of the peace, judges, wedding officiants, Mormon bishops, ship's captains, or possibly ministers from other faiths.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:43PM

Who does them now ?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:46PM

the wedding. NOW I do believe she would have married outside the temple because she could have had HIM perform the ceremony.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 06:48PM

At one time missionaries were allowed to perform weddings.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 08:27PM

That is an excellent question.

My guess is that the church will want church authorities to do the civil as well as the temple weddings. I can't see them ceding power to non-LDS officiators especially because those weddings will be much nicer events than the church offers either civilly or in temples.

I can foresee a lot of couples having glorious weddings in the mountains or on the beach and then deciding they don't need the Holy House of Handshakes.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 11:31PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Holy House of Handshakes.

Lottie,

You totally crack me up!!!

Hahahah

I no longer feel inadequate never getting the temple recommend nor understanding all the intricate details. Thanks for demystifying that for me!!!

:). :). :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:43AM

You didn’t miss much, Melissa. Most people leave with a mildly upset stomach and a desire for something alcoholic.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:37AM

The only way couples can bypass potential problems is to get married outside their respective stakes and hire a non-Mormon to officiate.

Otherwise, you can bet local bishops or SPs will try to ruin the merrymaking that usually goes along with regular weddings.

They will insist on crappy RS room or basket ball court weddings. PLUS, they will emphasize that civil weddings are less than.
You know how how they operate.

Ergo, couples who want nice weddings will need to escape out of town LOL

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 07:47AM

Outside the Morridor, civil marriages prior to a temple wedding have been fairly common for a long time. I'm referring to the midwest. There are so many non members in the relatives that a straight temple wedding was viewed as rude.

So some young couples have been willing to wait a year so that their whole families could attend. In two cases I was involved with, the couple's bishop or branch president married them. In one case, the groom's family was Catholic so a compromise was struck whereby a Catholic priest was present at the ceremony, while an LDS bishop officiated. The ceremony was held in town so the bishop didn't have far to travel. In another case, he had to drive about an hour to a park.

During both ceremonies, I heard very TBM members comment that more weddings should be done that way to make non members feel welcome.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 08:08AM

Now the marriage ceremony can be held in a public place with everyone who wants to participate being present. Make it big. Hire caterers and photographers. Oh yeah, and then afterwards if the couple wants to (like the next day or following week), they can get sealed in the temple where no one else will participate anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.