Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:05AM

What is the term for living religiously just in case it's correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:07AM

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:08AM

...but with no "H." ☺

Date: May 07, 2019 12:08AM

Ah yes! Thank you. :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:58AM

There are tons of rebuttals to Pascal's Wager available, like this from Keith Augustine:

There have been several objections to the wager: that a person cannot simply will himself to believe something that is evidently false to him; that the wager would apply as much to belief in the wrong God as it would to disbelief in all gods, leaving the believer in any particular god in the same situation as the atheist or agnostic; that God would not reward belief in him based solely on hedging one's bets; and so on.

Date: May 07, 2019 01:06AM

Interesting. That's new material for me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:34AM

Date: May 07, 2019 01:41AM

Bookmarked it. Thanks.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:15AM

BTW, I think he lost.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 01:00PM

This is monumental for me. On my mission many claimed that following religion and the supposed god--specifically the Mormon religion and Heavenly Father--was a win/win situation so who would be foolish enough to gamble on not believing?

They would say that if you followed Mormonism and it turned out to be true then you go to the CK and have the perfect life for eternity.

But, if you follow Mormonism to the tee and then when you die it turns out Mormonism wasn't the thing, then you still win because Mormonism has given you the most wonderful, happy, fulfilling life possible.

Big win either way. Right?

Made sense to me. Even said it a few times myself. Oh what difference a day makes.

Win/Win? Ha! Not so fast, buster. There is everything to lose.

Loss of autonomy. Loss of loving who I could really love. Loss of dignity as I arrogantly assumed I was God's chosen and acted as such. Loss of ability to love my fellow man as I judged them instead. Loss of self expression. And finally, tragically, loss of coffee. Cappuccinos.

Those losses are the whole point of being even alive as far as I am concerned.

Mormonism is Lose/Lose. If the religion was worthwhile there would be no need to wager.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 01:27PM

So true and well stated.

We have one life and we are supposed to spend it following a religion ~in case~ it is true? Lame!

What a huge cost and opportunity loss for the time and resources the religion consumed from your life. There are no refunds or do-overs to get reimbursed when someone lets their religion live rent free in their heads. It cost you part of your precious life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.