Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 03:26AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 04:02AM

Dave - that is seriously unrelated to ex-Mormonism or even ex-LDSism but I can forgive you as I am a rail freight industry consultant and have been known to foam a little at such clips.

Here is my part of the world we know your 'foamers' as 'gunzels' for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 08:29AM by oldpobot.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 11:30AM

"In 1868, when the Union Pacific line neared Utah, the company contracted with Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President, Brigham Young, to provide local contractors to lay track through the Wasatch Mountains.
Brigham Young realized a railroad would create jobs, reduce the costs of goods, and improve migration for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints converts moving to Utah. ‘Mormon’ labor crews completed part of the railroad bed from the head of Echo Canyon to the Great Salt Lake.
They provided grading, tunneling, and bridge work, including digging four tunnels through Echo and Weber Canyons and creating two temporary trestles; one across the Weber River gorge and one at Promontory.
Famously, the Union Pacific went bankrupt and did not honor the payments to President Young and the workers, but eventually agreed to provide rail cars and supplies to help Young construct a railroad connecting Ogden to Salt Lake City."

============================================

I guess there's your tie-in to mormonism.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:40AM

Are the stream engines pulling their own weight or are the diesel engines doing all the heavy lifting?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:56AM

I gather that there are certain safety requirements which the old steam engines can't provide, e.g. braking, but I still wonder if the diesels didn't provide a little extra help.

I defer to DtA and GNPE, our resident train buffs.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:53AM

Unfortunately, I was out of town when they pulled out of Cheyenne last weekend. I'm hoping to catch them on the return trip.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:49PM

As an armchair Ferroequinologist, I approve this message.

As a foamite, I drool.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.