Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 03:50AM

I have been looking around for a management position. I have experience as an operational manager, but also have multiple certifications for project management. I also recently earned my MBA.

I see an opportunity listed for an IT project manager position within the church.

I am concerned about how the church treats women. They don't tend to view them as leaders. Obviously, a managerial position is a leadership position and requires the person holding that position to be granted a certain level of respect. This is not to say that the position alone should gain you respect, but that it is a requirement of being a functional manager.

If a woman is automatically written off as being "out of place" in a leadership position, it only makes the job ten times harder.

Is it even worth attempting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 10:26AM

Don't bother. It is one thing to be a woman working for the mormon church. It is something different to be a non-believer. Non-believers are not welcome there. At all.

If I understand correctly, applicants are directly asked whether they hold a valid temple recommend. And you can't lie about it, because they check.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:35PM

Aloysius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't bother. It is one thing to be a woman
> working for the mormon church. It is something
> different to be a non-believer. Non-believers are
> not welcome there. At all.
>
> If I understand correctly, applicants are directly
> asked whether they hold a valid temple recommend.
> And you can't lie about it, because they check.

Yes, all true. Although there are non-Mormon contractors.

But an actual Church position calls for an active temple recommend and they will check up on you periodically.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:32PM

Yes, there are a few female Facilities Managers, for example. Not many, but they’re out there.

They don’t pray in Church offices. They are to be treated as regular workplaces. However, it would probably depend on the attitudes in your area.

When I had a Church job, I remember a few of the men marvelling at the idea of female managers because they felt that one should hold the Priesthood in order to hold such a position.

I personally found it to be a good old boy’s club and I didn’t like how the women were treated. They could be quite patronizing. I told my friends that if they wanted to keep their testimonies, then always keep their church and personal lives separate.

It certainly began my journey out.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:58PM

Some women Dew.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.