Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:14PM

Reading FAIRMormon's blog post justifying the change in their baptism policy I read how Neal Maxwell talked about pain being required for Mormons to "work out their own salvation." It was one of the many justifications for the policy.

So I read their link. Gosh! What a sermon. Is this still what Mormons believe today going on 30 years later?

Just check out some of the gems here.

"Sometimes spiritual obedience requires us to “hold on” lovingly, such as to a rebellious child, while others cry, “Let go!” Enduring may likewise mean, however, “letting go,” when everything within us wants to “hold on,” such as to a loved one “appointed unto death.” (D&C 42:48.)"

"48 And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed."

Basically, ditch your kid for your beliefs.

Then there is the only humorous part of this diatribe on pain and death.

"On the straight, narrow path, which leads to our little Calvarys, one does not hear a serious traveler exclaiming, “Look, no hands!” (See 1 Cor. 10:13.)"

LOL! Yeah because your hands have been nailed to a cross to bear for your beliefs. Not to mention what your guts require in "some excavating."

"The enlarging of the soul requires not only some remodeling, but some excavating."

And don't forget that you can't REALLY love anyone or anything until you experience some kind of endurance test.

"All the other cardinal virtues—love, patience, humility, mercy, purity, submissiveness, justice—they all require endurance for their full development."

A special pain. Yep. That is Mormonism.

"Some afflictions are physical, others mental, or so begin. Often, however, they are interactive, forming a special pain."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/04/endure-it-well?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 12:48PM

Mormonism is just another death cult.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:13PM

What's great is you can find plenty of conference talks that contradict each other. One church authority will say we have to endure pain and misery and then another church authority will say we need to be of good cheer and be happy.

I remember our stake president saying he was in a church leadership meeting with Boyd K Packer and the meeting went really well and Elder Packer goes,"meetings usually don't run this smooth. I could really feel the spirit. Even in the Quorum of the Twelve we butt heads sometimes and we struggle."

Haha! I guess so because your conference talks don't even agree.

No the church isn't a death cult. I don't think the church really knows what it is anymore. If anything it's a holding company with a church name on top of it.

Date: May 07, 2019 01:42PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess so because your conference talks
> don't even agree.

I don't agree. I did a search and couldn't find a talk that contradicted this one. All that seemed to be somewhat opposed to "endure to the end" and pain is salvation gained was to be happy, cheerful and have "joy" in Jesus while enduring pain and suffering.

Because Jesus a Mormon can be happy sitting in the gutter paying tithing with their last gold tooth.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:34PM

Fantastic post, Elder Berry.

And Neal Maxwell has the gall to quote the biblical-sounding "appointed unto death" from a book which justifies polygamy, while also choosing to quote from a sentence which is basically a get-out clause for phony "faith" healers like Joseph Smith Jr.

If only there were real faith-healers who could cure people of their "faith" in phony religion(s) ;-)

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 01:35PM by Soft Machine.

Date: May 07, 2019 01:43PM

"If only there were real faith-healers who could cure people of their "faith" in phony religion(s)"

Sigh! If is a powerful word.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 01:21PM

You know, it's whatever-sticks-to-the-wall theology:

"Because of Christ's Atonement of we don't have to suffer-men are that that might have joy."

Or...

"Endure to the end."

Just like the "He was saved from dying in the car wreck because he was so faithful."

Or...

"He was so faithful that God needed him and took him in that car wreck."

Or...

"He wasn't faithful enough and died in the car wreck."

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 03:02PM

He had the right idea. Mormons accept their lot more easily if they can be convinced their lives are *supposed* to suck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.