Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 02:10PM

How many days are temples open? Is there a huge backlog?
They just announced the Saratoga Springs temple location. About 7 miles from the Mt. Timp temple and within 15 miles of 3 others. If they're only used a few days a week, perhaps they could open a few more days instead of building them on top of each other. Unless it's a money laundering scheme for connected brethren in construction and supply businesses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 03:19PM

Good god, they are like multiplying pimples on the Great Butt, er Basin.

Date: May 07, 2019 03:36PM

How many days are they in use? Are they so backlogged that they need to build them 10-15 minutes from each other?

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 09:30PM

Well, Timpanogos and Provo are super full as soon as classes let out for BYU students. They have to close one periodically for cleaning, and when that happens the wait at the other one can be up to 3 hours. At least, that's the longest I remember waiting just to get into the endowment room.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:50PM

"...unless..."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:19PM

Here is a complete listing of the temples. You can click on a temple and see today's sessions, and then click on the "Select Date" tab towards the right side of the page.

I think they're blowing smoke on the 'temple open' dates. Sure, maybe they're open, but who wants to be the only couple in a session?

ETA the link!!

https://www.lds.org/temples/list

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 09:20PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 01:02AM

My dad and his wife were working at a Utah temple on a weekday morning until recently and told me sometimes nobody would show up and they'd just sit there and wait for their shift to end.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 06:04AM

ApostNate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dad and his wife were working at a Utah temple
> on a weekday morning until recently and told me
> sometimes nobody would show up and they'd just sit
> there and wait for their shift to end.

Can they at least listen to their iPods or watch a video on their smartphones while they're waiting around?

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:44AM

Last week I had to drive from Provo to West Jordan to get a book from Barnes and Noble and noticed that I passed or could see about five temples. When I was a kid, they seemed more 'special' because there were so few of them. Now they're a dime a dozen and just don't seem so 'special' anymore.

Side note: After my mission I worked on the grounds crew of the Washington D.C. temple, 1975. It was still very new and we had to dig drainage ditches in the elevated area circling the temple because it is so rainy in D.C. the flower beds were always getting flooded. We were told that the architects were from Utah where it is obviously much drier and they hadn't planned on all the rain. Hmmm.......seems like "someone" should have been more inspired.

Date: May 08, 2019 11:02AM

You were cleaning the swamp?

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:01AM

It just doesn't take that long for a temple to pay for itself in increased tithing revenues. They call people who live close to "work" in them, do the cleaning, grounds work, etc. In order to do that you have to pay the full dues to keep your pass. Then the wards can have more temple nights that keep the pressure on people because it becomes much more obvious who is and isn't there. Trust me, I remember from living in Utah that it gets old having people ask you why you never come to temple night. "Ummm, that would be because I'm a single mother barely getting by and I can't give up enough to pay the dues."

Once they have paid for themselves, the church just has a tax-free asset sitting there, increasing in property values and being something they can leverage for other financial reasons. Remember, whenever Mormon Central makes a move, whether it be building a new temple, changing mission age, changing virtually anything. There is always just three words you need to explain it... Follow. The. Money!

They have financial geniuses at work and the geezer brigade listen to them. Right now they have to figure out how to keep young people in to keep the money stream flowing. That is THE focus. That is the survival of the church. That is why we are seeing and will continue to see changes aimed at making it much more palatable for high school/young adult generation.

Date: May 08, 2019 07:51PM

That makes sense! I knew it had to have a financial angle. I was just looking at it from enriching the contractors and supply insiders. Thanks.

Date: May 09, 2019 11:35AM

Financial incest is best bred in a home state.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 03:30PM

The original one at Provo was never busy; even with the hordes of MTC missionaries. I was shocked that the endowment session was almost always delayed because there weren't enough people for the "altar couple". They wouldn't let elders play the role and too many men using walkers and canes refused to kneel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 03:31PM by messygoop.

Date: May 08, 2019 03:48PM

"One should always refuse to kneel unless a gun is to one's head or sex is in the offing."
--Judic West, Exalted Gato de Cheshire y Terenos Anexidades

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:24PM

That Judic, he sure gets around .

Date: May 08, 2019 09:56PM

Is there an offer in the offing? Hey, I'm not asking for myself, I'm asking for a friend...

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 09:33PM

When were you there? I saw it packed plenty of times.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:16PM

I just looked it up ... 17 operating temples in Utah (10 just between Ogden and Payson) with 4 more in planning stages (Layton, Toole, Saratoga Springs, and Washington County)

That's-a lotta temples!

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:21PM

xxMo0 Wrote:
> I just looked it up ... 17 operating temples in
> Utah (10 just between Ogden and Payson) with 4
> more in planning stages (Layton, Toole, Saratoga
> Springs, and Washington County)

For precision's sake here they are from north to south:

Logan
Brigham City
Ogden
Layton (announced)
Bountiful
Salt Lake
Jordan River
Oquirrh Mountain
Draper
Toole (announced)
Saratoga Springs (announced)
Mount Timpanogos
Provo
Provo City Center (the old tabernacle)
Payson
Manti
Washington County (announced)
St. George

Eastern Utah:
Vernal (former tabernacle)
Monticello

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/maps/wasatch-front/
https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/maps/utah/

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 12:44PM

There's a new one in Cedar City also.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 01:58PM

When's Wendover going to get it's temple?

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 11:39AM

I don't support the church in any way. But why don't they close the least performing locations and re-organize the bigger locations into regional branches? Then sell off the other properties.

Date: May 09, 2019 12:56PM

Temples are a property rich asset TSCC holds in lieu of cash holdings.

It builds new temples as a way to liquidate its cash holdings, so it doesn't have to pay taxes on the cash assets. Then as the property values increase in the commercial real estate market, TSCC can claim the net gain as part of its secured financial assets.

Since only a handful of its members can see the inside of the temples anyway, not that many active churchgoers actually are the beneficiaries of the cult's financial holdings in lieu of the temples they're increasingly building. That doesn't worry them at all, because the real value to the church legal department and the church corporation is the commercial enterprise it is running. Not the said purpose for which the temples are supposedly intended. They are there for show and to appreciate in value while increasing the church's net holdings.

Date: May 09, 2019 04:22PM

TSCC has yet to sell off any of its temples. Only church mtg houses have been sold to date once they no longer serve a useful purpose.

Typically the temples lots are selected for their prime real estate value before they're considered for purchase.

Temples are a long term sustainable asset owned by TSCC that appreciates over time. Since it cannot do the same with cash holdings as it would lose its not-for profit status, that is how LD$ Inc. squirrels its assets away into real estate holdings of land and property w/buildings used and operated by Church Co.

Date: May 09, 2019 04:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Temples are a long term sustainable asset owned by
> TSCC that appreciates over time.

LOL! Yeah, the dead are sustainable that appreciate over time...

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 09:59PM

Amyjo,

Your summary is masterful. This really explains it all in a way which makes sense to me. I don’t have a background in finance or taxes but you definitely know these things inside and out. Thank you for exposing this in a way that I could understand!

-Mel

Date: May 10, 2019 11:26AM

Her's is conjecture. We don't know their intentions are such. An interesting theory. One of my other favorites is graft - granting preferred companies owned by certain individuals inflated prices for land and construction.

I've heard people tell tales for both sides. I've heard it is a nightmare to be a preferred church contractor.

Date: May 10, 2019 01:05PM

I agree. Someone(s) making bank off of construction and materials. Funny story. Ex-neighbor, Pioneer stock, 7 kids, ex- bishop, ex-stake prez, etc., sold his title company and made big bucks. Retired at 58. He inherited his boyhood farm in Cedar City. He and his sons developed in into a nice subdivision with equestrian lots. Probably 200 homes. Of course, he donated a prime piece of land for a wardhouse. He thought that his company would be building the wardhouse. Wrong. They gave the contract to someone else, not from Cedar.He was pretty pissed. I thought that maybe he'd see the light, but no. 18 months later, he was "called" to be Mission Prez in Russia. They sold their home and left. Came back after 2-3 years. Stopped by to say hi and gave my daughter some Russian nesting dolls. 6 months later had a heart attack and died. He was one of the good ones. But, I'll never forget how the church screwed him over and how mad he was.

Date: May 13, 2019 11:18AM

Wow. LDS Corp is a Ponzi scheme religion.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 02:28AM

Prime dirt would be worth more without the temple on it. Of course a temple can increase the value of land around it; especially in Mormonland.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 10, 2019 12:03PM

I don't know much about the Jello Belt, but I drive past the Mormon temple in Carmel, Indiana every day, and it's in use, but I wouldn't say it's busy. I've never seen more than about 15 cars in front of it, and I have no idea how many workers are there. The Carmel temple is not a "McTemple." It's a medium-sized one and quite ornate inside with a lot of hand-painted decorations and murals. I got to see it during the open house.I imagine they do weddings (sealings).

That said, the Mormon church does not appear to be dying around here. I see a lot of cars around the church on Sunday, and there are three wards in Fishers. Indiana is a very red state though. When I lived in Tampa, Florida, I lived in a very large gated community with a stake center across the street from the entrance, and there wasn't a single member living inside such that they had to call me first before they could get in to harass me. Which reminds me -- stay away from Mormon genealogical libraries. So, your mileage may vary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.