Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: guy3 ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 03:09AM

In that Netflix documentary on Flat Earthers they had some interesting "scientists" who would run several experiments to prove the Earth is flat. Time and again their experiments proved that the Earth was round and spun on an axis. But when they didn't get the answer they want, instead of accepting this data to change their perspective, they went back to fix the experiment.

Sound familiar? Moroni would have been proud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 03:10AM by guy3.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:56AM

All archeological evidence contradicts the Book of Mormon
Documented history contradicts the 'official' version of church history.
Egyptologists laugh at the Book of Abraham.

TBMs "Facts? We don't need no stinking facts"

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 10:41AM

Facts are for those who lack the spirit.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:32AM

Nice!

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 10:53AM

It bugs me how easy it would be to prove the earth is flat, and they never do.

Show us the ice wall.

Show us the edge.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 10:55AM

You would think at least one astronaut or cosmonaut would have the guts to come clean and not be part of the round earth conspiracy.

But also, I would think just one G.A. would have the intestinal fortitude to come clean and stop the Mormon conspiracy.

Since neither group will produce a snitch, they must not be conspiracies at all.

I flew the Concorde those years ago. You can see the curvature of the earth at 60,000 feet. Or can you? Perhaps it's just the way the round windows make it appear along with the way the light fragmentation works.

Perhaps, the Mormon church only seems to be a nasty joke from a distance.

Perspective. All you can trust is your own gut. Because, apologetics is not only real, but really good sometimes because it allows people to believe what they want to be believe. You can protect your beliefs of honestly test them but you can't do both.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:28AM

I think some of the loudest voices in the flat earth movement might not believe their own crap and are just hoping NASA, Space X, or some other manned space flight outfit will give them a free ride to shut them up.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 11:56AM

Need proof that the earth is not flat? If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 04:37AM

I just finished packing for my great expedition beyond the Antarctic ice wall and had a big farewell party and everything! I told everyone that I know that they'll probably never see me again because this time next year I'll be 25,000 miles beyond the ice wall in uncharted territory looking for the edge of the dome.

Gawd! Now I have to unpack all that stuff and see if anyone wants to buy the snowmobile. It's going to be so awkward when I show up at the pub again next week.

++++++

On a more serious note, a couple of simple observations that help put the "flat earth" claims in perspective.

(1) If you adjust for scale, you could put Mt. Everest into the middle of a golf ball dimple and the rim of the dimple would tower so far above the peak of Mt. Everest and so far beyond that you would likely not even be able to perceive the rim from that distance. The idea that humans standing at the edge of a large body of water or on a tower should be able to perceive curvature with the naked eye or with telescopes seems highly improbable to me. The idea that you should be able to perceive global curvature from an airplane at 30,000 feet also seems highly improbable.

(2) I have still not seen an FE explanation as to why, on a flat earth, one half of the earth (the "night side") would not be able to see the extremely bright illuminated sky that covers the entire other half of the flat disk/earth. Something like that should be noticeable. If you're not on the other side of a sphere, something else would have to be blocking out the light. They never talk about that. (If I were at the end of an unilluminated football field late at night and someone on the complete opposite end of the football field was looking at their smart phone, I would be able to perceive that tiny amount of light. Seems like if the entire sky over an entire hemisphere was blindingly bright, the other hemisphere would have a hard time not seeing it.)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 09:59AM

And gravity is a hoax.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 10:56AM

That's right. We're held to the ground by all the people who totally suck.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 12:01PM

ROTFLMAO.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.