Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 02:43AM

Has anyone besides myself observed / sensed this?

There just couldn't be any other explanation for church policies & actions, they want all members to be 100% dependent on church leadership.

No More individual responsibility, ChurchCo will decide for you, making decisions & exceptions without any hint of a 'moral compass' or consistency.

If they could get by without the members, they'd do it in a New York minute!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 05:24AM

At least they don’t make you salute.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 03:53PM

No, but you are expected to stand when they enter the chapel.

And to teach your kids to sing songs about them.

Posted by: Lorenzo Snowjob ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 09:50AM

It is always sad for me to see otherwise intelligent human beings outsource their thinking to somebody or something else -- a church, a political party, etc.

Yes, the Church wants you to be 100% dependent on them for how you live your life and how you think. In order to achieve this objective, they regularly use "fear" and "guilt" in order to make you toe the line.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 10:18AM

listen to their counsel. What a shock when after my story came out that my TBM SIL told me she never would have taken their counsel, that I should have been thinking for myself. Other members told me that, too. Well, for one, I was suicidally depressed because of the whole situation. I had gone to them for answers and all they had was a bunch of bullshit. I was such a total mess. I've never been the same since.

So if you take their advice, then you are stupid, but then they tell you that you are supposed to do it. Even my dad picked up on that in terms of he knew I was more intelligent than that and then he heard what the leaders had told me and he knew immediately why I had married who I did.

My over the top TBM aunt, whose e-mail I posted after my daughter got married, at least didn't let me down in this area. She said that I did what I was supposed to do, that I had listened to my leaders and so I had done what God wanted me to do. One of the one and only mormons who has told me that.

When your own mind is screaming to you that this is so wrong and you go tell them that and they keep telling you you are wrong, it is extreme crazy making. I finally did marry him to get out from under them. I never went to them again and refused to allow my husband to.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 11:38AM

You just can't win in a cult. They make things up as they go along.

So glad,though, that heaven or fate intervened and let you have a reasonably happy ending after all.
Enjoy it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 10:55AM

LDS Inc always and forever has been authoritarian. There is nothing new about that. They dictate what you wear, drink, who and how to date, etc.

BTW, discernment, the spirit of, is Mormonese. Normal people don't say that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 11, 2019 05:42PM

discernment, discretion...

most Everyone has some rational (or not!) way of making decisions, I understand that mormons torture lots of our vocabulary, but I think we all use thoughts for making decisions...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2019 12:00AM

I toss a 17-sided die. On one face it says "Yes!" On the other 16 faces are written "Hmmm..." I don't get a lot done.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:44PM

" Correlation" in the morg is a copy of the 1935 Nazi idea of Gleichschaltung ( co-ordination ) which was used to instill Nazism into every aspect of human life.

Its always amazing to see how many tactics in Mormonism mirror those employed by the Nazis.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 02:10PM

Based on experiences/reports that I've read, the church make-over of Sunday School has been a humongous flop. You know, the one where everyone sits in a circle and then shares their "personal revelations" about the ward.

It's not that the church doesn't have intelligent members, but that the church has grossly conditioned them not to think. Members have been trained to be told what to do.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 06:31PM

They will tell you all about personal revelation, the still, small voice, and discernment.

Until it's totally bat-shit crazy (even for mormons) or contradicts the party line.

Then it must be Satan.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 02:59PM

They want to shift away from autonomy and towards submission to the organization.

Many of you may remember the idea of "free agency." Well, leaders started to get annoyed with bratty young people "exercising their free agency" to get out of Mormon rules. Sometime in the 1990's I remember Seminary teachers and general authorities pushing back on this notion in favor of "moral agency," which was more like: "do what we say or suffer the consequences."

Same thing would be true with personal revelation that doesn't comport with LDS, Inc. orthodoxy. Personal revelation always needs to support the party line, or they tell you to pray again until you get it "right."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 03:06PM

They've taken their "vote of thanks" to the next level. Now personal revelation is merely confirmation of what has been revealed to leaders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.