Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 05:17AM

Over the last several years there has been debate whether the church was going to become more laid back and liberal or become more radical and extreme.

I think the church is going to become more radical and extreme. The laid back ways of Hinkley and Monson are over. We are now into Russel M Nelson madness where the members are expected to teach the gospel in their homes and the church leaders are going to ride the members to make sure they do it. Stay on the covenant path is the big Russ motto.

What this really means is the church is going to get all over parents who don’t brainwash their kids and get them to the temple. First with a partial temple recommend and then a full time temple recommend. Then of course being on the covenant path will mean doing anything the church leaders tell you to do.

Our daughter heard from a counselor in the stake presidency today that it was the parents responsibility to teach their children the gospel and not the church’s. So get ready for the guiltripping and get ready for your kids being interviewed by church leaders to see how you are doing. Two hour church and ministering just became the church invading members homes more than ever. Oh the fun of it all.

Under Russ the church is going to be one big guilt trip and don’t think it will get anymore same with Oakes, Holland and Bednar at the wheel.

The church has taken a turn towards being more extreme and it’s going to be a shove the temple up your ass fruit farm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 05:58AM

“The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:01AM

There may soon literally be no way to be a 'reasonable' mormon.

Speaking of which, do the Three Nephites have a favorite temple and/or a favorite Avenger? Do Wendy and Sheri have a favorite Avenger?

I gotz ta know!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:53AM

We are living in extraordinary times!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:06AM

Excuse me? Rusty is not tightening the screws. He is loosening them at breakneck (by Mormon standards) speed. HT has been dumped. Ditto VT. HIgh Priests now meet with the EQ. The three hour block has been dumped. Gay marriage is no longer apostasy. Their children can be baptized. Women's veils being dumped. The year wait period punishment for getting civilly married is being dumped.

There are rumors that the coffee prohibition will be dropped, that garments will be required only in the temple.

Saying that families are expected to essentially have another FHE during that third hour on Sunday is not a tightening of the screws. It is a rationalization to justify dropping the third hour. They can't very well come out and say, or even allow the members to think that the hour was dropped because the three hour block was so tedious and boring that it was driving people out of the church.

Of course they will guilt trip the members about the third hour. They guilt trip the members about everything. Always have.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:20AM

I agree with BoJ that these look like loosenings.

Its funny to me though that they dropped the only thing that had any chance of helping converts (Sunday School). Without the class the convert will be so lost. Class was the only thing that gave me any understanding of anything.

I had a bit of a clean this weekend and threw out the "Come, Follow Me" book which replaced the GP book. I wouldn't want anyone to come across it in a thrift store!

That book assumes everyone there already has a foundation in the Bible. It was nothing but a collection of questions and references to look up. Whoever wrote it obviously was clueless about anything outside of born-in Mormons.

In my former ward, the SS was to be replaced with a discussion held in the chapel, every-other-week. Replacing a small class with a chapel-wide lecture, I imagine, just gives the life members a chance to show off. I had quit by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 10:22AM by mel.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:14AM

They figured out that they a real estate company fronting as a religion. Why should they work so hard at it? They only need to look like a religion.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:23AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why should they work so hard at it? They only need to look like a religion.

Ha! I've heard the same thing about McDonald's, they only pretend to sell burgers, they are actually just buying land. :)

At least McD's pays their workers....

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:47AM

Besides, you can own your own McDonald's franchise.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:32AM

BoJ's points are well taken. The shift to mainstream continues.

But, I get where Rubicon is coming from. The changes seem to come from a grudging place of bitterness. Maybe its just me, but it feels meaner than it ever did. The pressure cooker lid is still on tight.

Imagine being Russ. You are prophet now like you wanted to be so badly and nothing has changed as in God isn't showing up with a bowl of Jello to share as you chat about world events and those pesky gays.

But what has changed is society and it is not in your favor. What is a prophet to do if no one follows his lead? Actually questions his lead? Better cut them off at the pass and give them what they want through "revelation" before they demand it and it all gets really nasty, dammit!

Russ is getting even less respect than Rodney Dangerfield.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:29PM

the garments except in the temple for my daughter's sake. I'm sure most people will continue to wear them all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 01:30PM by cl2.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 02:07PM

I think a lot of Rusty's decisions reflect his revisionist history of the church. I think in his mind, Rusty would like to imagine that HH, GBH and TSM never existed or ruled the church. I think that it's now apparent that there have been two distinct groups competing to run the church. I think there was a hardliner camp of church leaders (BKP with Oaks and Nelson) and then there was a "moderate" group that was trying to make the church more mainstream.

I see Rusty cutting out the weaker programs in the church, while strengthening their crowning jewel: their tithing-temple program.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 02:29PM

Exactly. The tithing/temple at ANY cost! That's the new agenda. Anything can be sacrificed and it's not life stock on the alters being bled out, it's the members.

That is why I like the Rubicon's last line, "The church has taken a turn towards being more extreme and it’s going to be a shove the temple up your ass fruit farm."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.