Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 09:02AM

When I say hell I mean Provo Utah. I always felt an uneasiness once I got to Utah county. This ride was from Salt lake to Provo and back. I can be seen at 17:45 poking my head out of the baggage car door.
Nothing beats the smell of coal smoke while getting cinders in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCypy_XPZcE

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:19AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:24AM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:26AM

Pretty scenery. But for the price, you rode in the Baggage Car? Not palatial???

Date: May 13, 2019 10:40AM

I had a regular seat in a passenger car but standing in the baggage car doorway was much more fun.

Date: May 13, 2019 10:54AM

Rode an open box car bound for Atlanta. And yes, Dave, best seat on the train!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 11:43AM

Even with a diesel loco, one is in danger of brake shoe flecks if looking out an opening on a descending grade.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 11:58AM

Thanks, GNPE, I’ll have to tell my son that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 12:05PM

Really interesting footage of downtown SLC before gentrification. It's interesting to see the old cars pacing the train.

Date: May 13, 2019 12:06PM

Didn't this coal burner set a bunch of fires in Mormonland?

Date: May 13, 2019 12:17PM

Caused a grass fire in Draper.

Date: May 13, 2019 12:43PM

Date: May 13, 2019 11:51PM

Tell us about YOUR carbon footprint and why excess levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a good thing and how human-caused global warming is a chinese hoax.

Date: May 14, 2019 10:59AM

Climate temperatures correspond more closely to solar activity (sunspots) than any other indicator. There's also strong evidence that temperature change is responsible for CO2 fluctuations, not that CO2 causes global warming.

The climate-warming thesis has been out long enough that short term prophesies are failing. Ice caps adjust up and down, as always, usually in opposition (erosion on one cap is balanced by growth on the other). And the IPCC/East Anglia email hack showed how global warming advocates were adjusting data to conform to the algorithms, which were just that--computer models.

I'm not a flat-Earther, Dave, and neither are the polar bears. They're doing just fine. Can we get back to trains? In 1964 and 1965 I hitchhiked around the West, hopping several trains, sometimes having no idea where they were going. Now that was an adventure!

Date: May 14, 2019 11:07AM

Show us this "evidence".

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:40AM

This article reminds me from class in high school that carbon dioxide, sunlight and water were needed to grow plants.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-04-26-nasa-declares-carbon-dioxide-is-greening-the-earth.html

Date: May 14, 2019 12:56AM

Who is the boss of NASA ?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 03:44PM

Your site also contains these articles:

"Whistleblower tells all, claiming Hillary Clinton, Chuck Shumer, Kirsten Gillibrand and other prominent Democrats are involved in human trafficking, sex slavery, and Satanism."

"Coordinated family attack on Robert F. Kennedy,Jr. proves that he's the only Kennedy willing to vote for humanity and stand against the vaccine deep state."

"Ammo stockpiling: Four more reasons buying more ammo is one of the smartest things you'll ever do before SHTF"

Not a particularly credible source.

Posted by: Chicken N.Backpacks ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:55PM

Lately I've heard about a-holiness in the upper management of UP, but in the past I often heard about how great UP was at preservation, because living in the west, we would shudder at the thought that the Southern Pacific company itself *could* have kept a running Cab Forward, Daylight, 4-10-2, and even a couple of PA's, but were all about the Benjamins and scrapped things as fast as they could and bulldozing stations to save tax money.

Nothing to do with Mo'ism, but I like trains. If I had a few million, I'd pay to restore and run the surviving types of those loco's.

Date: May 14, 2019 02:32PM

In the 1980s, both locomotives traveled west to Sacramento for the opening of the state railroad museum. We followed them over Donner Pass and I played hooky from school that day. It was a pretty neat father-son outing.

I think watching trains brought us closer together and the church couldn't stand it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 02:35PM

The people I know on the UP would think you were being kind by using the word "A-holiness." They have much more explicit and less kind terms.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.