Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:39AM

A fine woman who brought smiles to countless pet stores just died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE_GocvUwoU

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:46AM

Que será, será...

Date: May 13, 2019 10:47AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmeBX-77_-w

"I need thy presents every passing hour."

- Doris Day

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:50AM

"I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin" -- Groucho Marx.

Day was a Christian Scientist, but I have no idea how faithful she was in her later years. My brother attended a Christian Science college (Principia, Elsah, IL, a bit north of St. Louis) with her son.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:55AM

Everybody loves a lover.

That song is one of the first pop tunes burned into my brain's audio files at age 4.

Listening to it now carries me back to when I first heard it on the good old family Philco.

Thanks for the memories Doris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOTzC-0xg0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:54PM by Shummy.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 10:58AM

I loved Pillow Talk. The best Rom-Com of all time.

Doris Day loved dogs and they became the focus of her life and made me love her even more. And she was a major part of my favorite charity---a group that takes in and cares for old dogs, Muttville for Senior dogs in Northern California. She was a sweetheart in every sense of the word.

If you need a sweet old dog--that is the place.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 11:00AM

Loved her movies when I was young- especially the ones with Rock Hudson. (This was before I realized Rock Hudson was gay which sort of burst my bubble that there might be actual chemistry.)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:24PM

Well a person could watch the latest version of star wars ....what the Hell ever its name is, there a person can watch Harrison Ford and What's her face (carrie fisher) try to pretend to be romantically interested with each ..... and miserably FAIL while Carrie's biggest concern is really getting done with the shot so she can suck on another cigarette, and Harrison Ford is really about as interested in being around Fisher as drinking a quart jar of rancid piss

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 11:06AM

The first movie I saw her in was 'Please don't eat the Daisies,' with David Niven. My parents took us to see that on the big screen when I was a little girl.

She lived a long life, in dog and human years. :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:31PM

Doris Day considered herself a dancer more than a singer until she suffered a terrible car accident which meant she couldn't dance for years. She worked on her singing instead and only danced a little after she healed from the accident and had therapy.

I think her singing and acting were charming and many others must have agreed because all of her movies earned huge box office profits.

I saw her on TV in her eighties and she was still charming talking about her dogs and pet rights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:25PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 02:23PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 08:19PM

I was just reading about her making her son move after befriending Charles Manson. He had scoped out the house where he was living... and later the Manson "family" killed people at that address.

All I can say is Pillows Talk

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 08:21PM

Nothing could cure childhood and pre-teen angst better than a Doris Day movie! Those were the original chick-flicks. We loved it when she would get mad, and all passive-aggressive in getting even. I know, this isn't a good example for women, nowadays, but it made for cute movies.

I even had a record of hers, singing big-band-type jazz songs.

I loved the way she dressed. Remember Edith Head clothes?

I saw her at Carmel, once, and was so excited. She had two dogs with her, on a double leash. I remember her beauty tip, that walking in loose sand kept her legs toned.

No one will ever replace lovely Doris Day.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 07:32PM

Okay, so now leaving out the joke in poor taste (I thought it was yummy), I would like to point out that a spokesperson has announced that Doris Day will not be eulogized in any formal fashion. There will be no memorial service, no funeral and whatever the location of her body or her ashes, there will be no grave/urn marker.

She's going out the same way she came in, completely anonymous.

What do think about this?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 07:56PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do think about this?

If these are her wishes, I am in favor.

By Hollywood standards, she is one of the "important" deaths (her films went a long way towards symbolizing a particular era in Hollywood history).

Should she have wanted to have her final remains (including ashes, if she chose cremation) memorialized, there are a number of local cemeteries in the Southern California, Hollywood, "radius" which would have been honored to be the final repository (including the "secret" cemetery for entertainment legends which is located in Westwood, near UCLA).

If her decision was that she wanted her remains to be "anonymously" dealt with (instead of the alternatives), I support her choice.

[Which reminds me: I still have cremated ashes in our storage unit which need to be dealt with....]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 11:11AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:28AM

I think this is what they call class--to go out that way. Such a rare commodity now--class--in a world of selfies and instagrams and tweets and self esteem is measured by the number of followers one has.

When I was young all my neighbors went to see Pillow Talk and couldn't stop talking about it. We had a small theater in our valley. Kids got in for 15 cents and Adults 50 cents. Neccos were a nickel.

We weren't allowed to go and see the movie because our family was the most Mormon in the county by leaps and bounds and it was risque. So I never even saw a Doris Day movie until I was an adult and long gone from Mormonism. I fell in love with her.

Class.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:39PM

Since Doris Day is now famous, there isn't really anything "anonymous" about her death. Only her burial. She was born anonymous. But she didn't die that way.

She'll live on in movie history, and her star is on the Hollywood Walk as a reminder of the legacy she left. She was a trail blazer.

When she left the movie industry in the 1970s this was the reason she gave for leaving when she did, “I really loved being there, but then I started to notice that it was changing,” Day recalled about Hollywood. “It really started to change, and, oh, people were moving away because strangers from foreign countries were all over on the street and tearing the beautiful houses down and putting up boxes. I really wasn’t happy about that at all. Wasn’t the town I knew.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/doris-day-revealed-why-retired-hollywood

Date: May 15, 2019 11:03AM

Bless you Amyjo, for this rare link. Doris Day's insight was quite revealing. The homes of today are a mockery of talent, materials and the history of family shelters.

So much is shoddy today, yet commanding insane prices.

Many of the old LDS Ward houses from 1890 thru 1955 were each tailored by local tastes. The members built them, if skilled, and so, there was a unique flavor.

After pride crept into the church, the boiler-plate Brethren took the reigns and dictated the plain utilitarian gems of today.

No more stained glass, bells or local workmanship.

I'll be spending the evening in Wendover tonight. If you hear shouts and loud laughter, clapping and see a worried Pit Boss, say hi. I'll buy your free drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUDCiYxj0k

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:24AM

Her only grandson was on one of the entertainment shows tonight complaining that he was denied access to his grandmother for years by her business manager. I'm sure that there is more to the story than that, but it sounds like it was a sad situation.

Date: May 17, 2019 12:36AM

summer Wrote:
> Her only grandson was on one of the entertainment
> shows tonight complaining that he was denied
> access to his grandmother for years by her
> business manager. I'm sure that there is more to
> the story than that, but it sounds like it was a
> sad situation.

Thank you for this post, summer!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:59PM

Date: May 17, 2019 09:55PM

caffiend Wrote:
> https://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2019/05/14
> /165444
Awwwwwww....

> https://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2019/05/14
> /165440
:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 09:55PM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.