Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 12:37PM

Wanna share any TALL tales???

Enquiring minds wanna know...

https://ontheroadtohome.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/2003-greene-ohio-artsy-sullymom-20.jpg

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:19PM

1979 - Lacey Washington

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/14083

They used to sell a wire, plastic with magnets bonnet that acted as a type of umbrella to keep the wind shield relatively dry from the never ending drizzle.

Doing the summer dry months, the sun didn't go down until late and it wasn't dark enough until after 10:00pm to watch the movie.

Posted by: Yup! ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:32PM

I had to tell my dad that I saw the movie that I had actually seen the week before, because he always asked about the movie.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:38PM

Van Nuys Drive-In, August 1983, RISKY BUSINESS. Saw it again a few days later and paid attention that time around.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:45PM

The first one was True Grit when I was 9 or 10. Dad backed in the family station wagon and opened the back door so we could watch from the mattress he laid out in the back.

The last time was Mad Max while I was a sophomore in college. The outdoor theater was going to be shutting down a couple weeks, and a couple friends and I thought we'd take in one final show.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 01:59PM

I remember the times my parents took us all to the drive-in. I loved doing that. I took my kids a few times to a drive-in by Twin Falls, Idaho. My nephew worked there. There is still a drive-in in Ogden.

I remember going to see "American Graffiti" with my cousin who was 3 days older than I am. She died when we were both 37 and I'm going to be 62 soon.

I was a good little mormon girl. Didn't do much of anything. I had to make up for it. Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went to the movie, Tolkien, and he asked me if I wanted to make out in the theater as it looked like we were going to be the only ones in the theater. I asked him if he had ever made out in a movie theater as with his PAST, you would think he had. He says he doesn't remember. He always says that. I'm sure he made out in a movie theater and a drive-in.

And, No, we didn't make out in the theater. I'm not really into public displays of affection. We watched the movie and it was GREAT! I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm not a big "Lord of the Rings" fan (saw the movies) and the movie is a favorite now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:01PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 04:33PM

My then wife and I and the baby, who just turned 50, went to see MASH at a drive-in, while was at the Y. The drive-in was south of the campus a decent distance. The movie was rated R, but that was never an issue for me. I'd read the book so there was no way I was going to miss it.

The last time I went to a drive-in to see a movie was about 1972, to see "What's Up, Doc?" with Barbra Streisand and the handsome dude who'd just been in a real tear-jerker movie. I sat through it twice there at the drive-in. One of the final exchanges between Barbra and Ryan O'neal (weird how 12 seconds ago I couldn't remember his name and when I stopped stressing about it and wrote around it, his name popped right up!) has her saying, "Love is never having to say you're sorry" and him responding, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"

As a high schooler, we probably went maybe three times a year and did the 'hide in the trunk' deal, which ended when they started charging by the car, rather than by the number of occupants. And these were all mormon kids...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 03:22PM

I didn't like that exchange between Howard Bannister (O'Neal) and Streisand where he says "that's the dumbest thing I ever heard." I saw Love Story at least 3,461 times my sophomore/junior year of high school when it was in the theater (ok, maybe 10), and I was still in mourning when "What's Up Doc" came out. Have to admit the movie was hilarious, but they parodied the most sacred line of any tear-jerking, heart-stopping chick flick ever made. Blasphemy! I was so mad at Ryan O'Neal.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 13, 2019 11:54PM

Oh, yeah. When I turned 16 and could drive at night (Idaho gave us driver's licenses at age 14 if you can believe that but daytime only) I piled several of my friends from school and we drove to the Rio Rey in Jerome ID to see the movie. I don't remember which one it was but it was quite the feeling of being a grown up to do that.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:22AM

When I lived in Las Vegas, there was a drive in theater about 3 blocks from my condo, and a few times in the 4 years I lived there, I went to the the movie.

A couple of times I went alone and a couple I went with some friends from work. When I was alone I slept through a good portion. According to the local ads, it's still open in the same place.

They always had double features and I usually ended up falling asleep for the last one. But they had good drive-in popcorn and burger type menu. And Beer. (I still don’t like it)
I’m back in SL county and I don’t think there’s any drive-ins here now. I’m too old to go to one anyway!

When I was growing up, my folks would take us to the UTE Drivein in Midvale. And there were lots of drive-ins in the valley. I think the last movie I saw there was the Clint Eastwood one about the ape who hit people. (I didn't see the whole movie). And I don't think there's any drive-ins here now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 12:25AM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:37AM

In the Summer of 1980, at the Timp Drive-In (150 N. State Street, Orem), I saw Used Cars starring Kurt Russell. At the time, I was a going to school (BYU) and working full time as a mechanic at a car lot in Provo. The whole car lot group went together and saw it. We took folding chairs and a cooler filled with sandwiches and cokes. Fun times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 12:37AM by sunstoned.

Date: May 14, 2019 12:42AM

I remember that movie! It was his first out of his previous 'Disney' mode! He was all cussing, all screwing, all perving! It was so liberating!

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:10AM

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 06:44AM

I've never got to go to a drive in. I love the idea of it though. The one time I nearly did go, it got rained off.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 11:08AM

We went weekly in the summer from 70 - 73. All the people you can cram in a car for $5. 16+ people a station wagon and a pick up. Lawn chairs, snacks, booze and a great time. We went to a theater that was never crowded and usually had a triple feature. Arriving home about 4 AM.

Breathing in the DDT they would spray before the movie to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:34PM

First one I remember was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

The last one I remember was Lilo & Stitch. It was the second feature to Spirit. I slept through most of Spirit so I was wide awake for Lilo & Stitch. My daughter wanted to see Spirit and I found it very boring.

I been to the drive-in since then, but can't remember what we saw. The local ones are closed now.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 03:38PM

All the time growing up. The local drive in was the "Mountain Vue", AKA "The Passion Pit". There was also a spot by the river where you could sit and watch the movie, but not hear it.

There was one guy from school with a van (yes, it was the '70's) who would usually have a keg in back. $5 for all you could drink.

One of the best memories was when my Dad took me and a buddy there to see "Blazing Saddles". He was TBM but loved a good belly laugh.

Date: May 16, 2019 10:51AM

Oooooooooooooooooh, the memories!

Grew up in a small desert town in the armpit of California, so there wasn't much else to do. As a young kid, it was a Friday-night treat. The little kids got a bed in the back of the station wagon and if we older ones got tired, we had to beg to get back there or had to lean against the door to sleep. Funny what you remember. But they were some of the few good family times I remember.

As a teen, we practically lived at the drive-in. It was make-out city. Or some nights it was just fun--we'd have several carloads of kids who would go out together. I remember seeing both American Grafitti and Jeremiah Johnson when a bunch of kids from the church all went out together. Good times.

We lived in Provo when my own kids were young and spent a lot of time at the drive-in in Springville. They didn't charge for kids and we'd bring our own popcorn so it was something we could afford. Then hubby could enjoy a movie and I spent the whole time fighting with the kids.

Later as a divorcee in Utah Valley, I remember going to the one on the North side of Orem. It's where the divorced mormon guys liked to take you hoping for a blow job.

None of those drive-ins are there anymore. And if you took kids now, they'd just be on their phones because they wouldn't be in a theater where they were told to put them away.

Date: May 16, 2019 11:22AM

Barstow?

Date: May 16, 2019 02:58PM

I take the fifth.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 03:23PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take the fifth.

Well, if it was Barstow, I have some fond memories of being there. (My aunt's uranium-searching/mining business activities meant that we went to Barstow semi-regularly, sometimes for the town itself, and sometimes because it was a waystation between "here" and "there.")

Barstow was where we could fill-up the gas tank, eat, go to the bathroom....and it was where I always felt particularly close to our California "Old West" history. (To me, it was like a more modern Bodie. ;) )

In and around Barstow, I (personally) always felt the most "myself," as I really was inside, and it was one of the places where my writer's creative imagination was particularly free to soar.

Good times.

[For the most part. ;) ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 03:28PM by Tevai.

Date: May 16, 2019 03:29PM

My mother and some other family still live there. Sometimes when I go visit I think "HOW did I ever live here?" and other times I think "this really was a great place to grow up."

The one thing I can say is that if you have to grow up Mormon, it was probably the best place in the church. Seriously, I'm not just saying that. Such a great group of eclectic people. And, of course, the church was just really different in the 60s/70s so those people could use their unique talents and personalities in their own way and didn't have to be robots.

Date: May 16, 2019 03:53PM

I actually have thought about Barstow quite a bit in the last few years.

When we used to go there (or pass through, on our way to somewhere else), what always caught my attention was the swamp coolers on the windows of everyone's houses--even what were obviously the houses of Barstow's poorest residents. No matter how "humble" a particular abode was, there was ALWAYS at least one swamp cooler attached (and swamp coolers cost a relative lot back then; buying one would have been a major expense for those families--especially if a family was really, really operating from the depths of the economic scale).

At some point during those years, but when I was still a child, I realized that if that family did not have that swamp cooler, everyone inside would die from the heat. This was one of the sobering, and obviously memorable, big lessons I learned on my way to adulthood.

As we (globally, and also locally) are dealing, right now, with the effects of climate change, I often think about those swamp coolers in Barstow. The empathy I felt for those families back then, once I realized what was [obviously] going on, is still inside of me, and it makes the experience of global warming particularly poignant, because I have never lost recognition of the fact that no matter how bad the rising temps are for the more affluent, it is SO MUCH worse for those who are poor.

Date: May 17, 2019 12:13PM

I miss swamp coolers. Of course, I wouldn't want one in Memphis, TN, but they were wonderful for the dry desert. Every year you'd put new cooler pads on them, then turn on the water to it for the first time. There was this smell of new cooler pads that was like no other. We'd just lay under them and breathe deep. The closest thing to it that I can think of is the smell of the alfalfa fields in Easter Oregon after a rainstorm. They did the trick. But the price of water out there is so outrageous now that I'd imagine they're not cheap to operate.

Date: May 17, 2019 10:03PM

Wow...I never, ever thought of the water which had to be supplied (nor the electricity, either).

Water just never occurred to me.

It certainly will occur to me from now on.

Thank you for this (long overdue) insight, NormaRae!!

Date: May 16, 2019 04:09PM

I have (somewhere) a lot of photos of the Barstow drive-in, taken when I worked a civil case against the owners after a Barstow high school football player/employee assaulted a customer dumb enough to make fun of the employee's Samoan heritage. This would have been around the early 2000s.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 04:11PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have (somewhere) a lot of photos of the Barstow
> drive-in, taken when I worked a civil case against
> the owners after a Barstow high school football
> player/employee assaulted a customer dumb enough
> to make fun of the employee's Samoan heritage.
> This would have been around the early 2000s.

he must have been dumb to make fun of a Samoan... they don't play . He got what he deserved.

Date: May 16, 2019 03:13PM

Okie dokes.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 02:53AM

I saw "Tom Jones" at the Timp Drive-in in Orem. My cousin had set me up with his best friend, and there were three couples in the car. All the boys were returned missionaries. No one laughed, or chuckled, or cracked a smile, because the movie was a bit racy. I was squished in the middle of the the back seat, trying my hardest not to laugh hysterically. Most of the time, I couldn't contain myself! I was glad it was dark, because I had tears in my eyes, from trying to contain my laughter. The dad in the movie had animals all over his house, in his bed, and in the kitchen, as well as in the yard, and the sight-gags were hilarious. The camera would film the ladies arguing, then pan to a bunch of chickens that looked just like them...well, you had to be there. You had to be me, a liberal kid from California, in a car full of older conservative Utah Mormons, who frowned on loud laughter. My previously happy, funny, extrovert cousin had obviously changed on his mission, and he never returned to his former self. I dated his best friend about twice a year, and he still calls me, from time to time. He never got married. I hope "Tom Jones" didn't scar him for life.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:11PM

We are lucky to live where there is a drive in - last Friday night we saw the Avengers movie, tonight we are going to see Ugly Dolls and a dog movie that just came out.

I am fixing homemade pizza, and cookies to take with us, as well as drinks. They have the best tasting popcorn. We go almost every weekend when the drive in is open for the season.

Date: May 17, 2019 06:16PM

When ghawd gives you a drive-in, make pizza & cookies!

That's a good rule to live by!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:24AM

https://youtu.be/DuADIiUrZvI
I remember playing on the swings before the movie, picnic tables,sleeping in sleeping bags in the back of the station wagon, cartoons before the movies, intermission, corny concessions ads, my parents liked the old fashioned, corny horror movies, including of course, Rosemary’s baby and the Exorcist.
Trivia question games were fun too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.