Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 05:41AM

The last time I prayed was a day before Mick Jagger went into surgery. About a month ago.

My prayer was fully answered.

When was the last time you prayed?

Was it fully answered?

My current repeated prayer is that we have a baby girl in September.

Do you pray repeatedly?

Thank you for sharing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 07:49AM

And did you use the true order of prayer ?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 08:32AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And did you use the true order of prayer ?

Why would ex-Mormons use that?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 08:32AM

This morning.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:07AM

Not this decade.

Throughout my life, my prayers were “answered” with the same frequency that could be expected from random chance.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:28PM

or longer.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:12AM

Last night. I prayed that my wife wouldn't ask me to lead our nightly prayer before supper. My prayer was answered.

Aside from that, which has become a daily ritual since marrying my wife, it's been decades since I've done anything approaching a heartfelt prayer.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:34AM

A sincere prayer? Around 1998 when my family experienced a death. Insincerely? In the last week to say grace over the food.

Mormons insist there are only a handful of verbatim prayers. They can include this because I've been saying for decades without any real change.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:34AM

Asking for a favor from a deity to change something from his perfectly ordered universe... never... I do meditate in the mornings though just to settle my mind before the day starts...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:39AM

Is "Holy fuckin' mother of ghawd!" a prayer?

On the issue of prayer and flipping a coin being similar in outcome, "Please, ghawd, make it stop!" doesn't seem to have any additional efficacy.

Prayer v. Luck?

I think it's all random, and you can plot it all on the Bell Shaped Curve.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 10:34AM

When I'm having a really bad day I pray, "Take me now Sweet Jesus."

Nothing ever happens. Just like when I used to do the Moroni's challenge. Bupkis. Like talking to a wall. Well, with the wall you can get a slight echo if you aim at the corner.

Also, I think there would be less car accidents if people would stop asking Jesus to take the wheel.

So I just go back to doing what needs to be done.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:44AM

Been quite a while. Haven't seen the point of it for decades.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 09:54AM

When was the last time you didn't pray ?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 10:34AM

I didn't pray to know that the BoM is not true (I mistakenly prayed to know if it was true):

"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true;"

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 10:26AM

Not since I was a child. I never saw the point of asking for special favors.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 10:35AM

The last attempts at prayer a few years ago were for human suffering and world problems (nothing for myself). As usual, nothing changed (in fact, got worse).

Then I prayed for all the people in the negative control groups for all those studies about the impact of prayer on illness. This was sort of a joke, but intended to show that they have no grounds to show which people didn't receive prayers. I prayed for 'em all! (Surprise, no impact either way.)

This was quite a while back. I stopped talking to myself and an invisible friend who never talks back in any meaningful way.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 10:36AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 11:11AM

Screen Name Wrote:
> ... I prayed... [and] My prayer was fully answered.
>
> When was the last time you prayed? Was it fully answered?

I prayed you wouldn't ask.
It wasn't answered properly.

> Do you pray repeatedly?
No. I do nothing repeatedly...

Except breathe

[Because I have to]

Since I am alive

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:05PM

+1 Yup

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:29PM

Well over 30 years ago during my last days of church.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 12:58PM

I prayed I could be fully conscious sooner than later. Sleep walking without full consciousness is not pleasant for me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:10PM

and I don't pray. Sometimes in desperation I may pray. When I worked for Autoliv in Utah for 2 days--the first day was so horrible that on the drive home, I wanted to drive off the side of the road in Sardine Canyon. I came home and wrote to my therapist. I was at a very bad place after losing my job, but I reached out to my therapist. And I talked to my parents. I may have thrown something out into the universe asking for help.

Oddly enough, I will say that there are many times I've felt my parents helped me, so I keep talking to them.

I've said before that not long after my father died, I drove by the baptist church that is about 1-1/2 blocks from my house. It had some saying on its "board" about God and praying. It occurred to me that I know my dad and mom. I don't know God if there is one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 01:10PM by cl2.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:24PM

I talk to myself all the time. I just no longer pretend there is an invisible man in the room with me. I guess you could just say it was a small change in the way I pray.

HH =)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:24PM

Real Prayer? I can't remember how long ago that was. And it's likely it wasn't "answered".

Fake Prayer? Like when I visit my parents and they think they are helping me feel the spirit by pressuring me into giving a family or pre-meail prayer? I think that was about a year ago, and again, no answer.

Prayer is one of weirdest things about religion that once I started thinking about, made no sense at all.

First, we assume that God is perfect and has perfect knowledge. We also assume he's got the very best possible plan for us (see first assumption). We, as flawed imperfect beings presume to impose our will, changing God's perfect plan for us by begging him to go against said plan.

If we aren't asking him to change that plan, then we're supposed to be thanking him for everything that goes on in our lives, good and bad. This makes him, at best vain, for wanting constant thanks for doing good, or worse an abuser who threatens more violence if they aren't appreciated enough.

Prayer just doesn't make sense with a truly perfect and benevolent god.

Posted by: anono ( )
Date: May 14, 2019 01:28PM

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 06:53AM

When my Catholic sister asked if we could gather round and say the incredibly repetitive rosary prayer for a terminally sick relative. I told her that I was good for the first bead but if the message did not get through with that try, the odds dropped dramatically. I prayed that she would not ask me again and that prayer was answered.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 12:44PM

On my mission. I desperately prayed to get some indication that the church was "true."
No answer of any kind.
In fact, there's no evidence of any kind any prayer I prayed was ever answered in any way.

Which is one reason I stopped doing it 39 years ago.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 01:34PM

No prayer is needed to know this truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyLY8YDWzrQ

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 01:56PM

Yay!!! I prayed for your return and look!!!!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 02:01PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Yay!!! I prayed for your return and look!!!!!

Yay !!!!! Prayers are answered... Yay for Hie..

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 02:12PM

Me too! Praise Jay-sus!

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 02:08PM

The last time I said a prayer was during Easter services. When I attend I usually only recite the lord's prayer. Sometimes I mess that up because of the different bible translations.

My ex asked a similar question as OP when I resigned. She asked me when was the last time I truly prayed and felt the spirit. I asked her which god she wanted me to pray to and which spirit to listen to. I had recently read an article concerning the holy spirits of various non-Abrahamic religions and remembered some of their names, which I started to recite to her. It did not go over very well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.