Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:39PM

Remember Joseph Smith making one outlandish prophecy after another? Cult leaders need to constantly keep their followers in a state of denial and fear. This is the same thing. People outside of the cult dismiss such mad ravings as lunacy. Inside the cult, 'tis a different matter...

https://www.newsweek.com/pat-robertson-delivers-damning-threat-against-equality-act-land-will-vomit-1425853

PAT ROBERTSON DELIVERS DAMNING THREAT AGAINST EQUALITY ACT: 'THE LAND WILL VOMIT YOU OUT ... GOD WILL SAY I’VE HAD IT WITH AMERICA'

Pat Robertson: God Will 'Get Rid' Of America If Equality Act Is Passed

Televangelist and Christian media mogul Pat Robertson has come out swinging against the Equality Act, claiming it would have devastating consequences.

Quoting from the Old Testament book of Leviticus, Robertson riled against the Equality Act, which gives federal protections to individuals against discrimination on the basis of their sexual orientation and gender identity.

The 89-year-old televangelist told the Christian Broadcast Network that the bill, reintroduced by Democrats in March, would prompt a judgement from God resulting in the United States being rejected by the land, precipitating a kind of nuclear war.

“This is a devastating blow to religious freedom and to the sanctity of America. If you want to bring the judgment of God on this nation, you just keep this stuff up. You know, I was reading in Leviticus where it said, ‘Because of these things, the land will vomit you out.’ Vomit you out. I think God will say, ‘I’ve had it with America, if you do this kind of stuff, I’m going to get rid of you as a nation,” Robertson said.

When you look at the potential of atomic war, when you look at the potential of a solar strike or something on our grid, you could go down the line of devastation that could happen to our nation,” he added.

According to The Hill, if the Equality Act is signed into law it will make it illegal to discriminate against members of the LGBT community specifically in the areas of education, jury service, housing, employment and public accommodation as well as other federal programs and credit.

Robertson also mentioned in his Christian Broadcast Network segment that he viewed the Equality Act as an infringement on religious freedom, an argument that has also been adopted by the administration of President Donald Trump as it sets up its opposition to the legislation.

“This bill in its current form is filled with poison pills that threaten to undermine parental and conscience rights,” a senior White House official said in a statement to the Washington Blade.

The Equality Act would bring the entire nation into line with anti-discrimination legislation already enacted in 20 states, NBC reported. At present legal protections for the LGBT community change dramatically at state borders.

“No American should be at risk of being fired, evicted from their home or denied services because of who they are or whom they love," Democrat Senator Tammy Baldwin and co-sponsor of the legislation told NBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 10:41PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:41PM

If we are lucky, God will send Pat Robertson a bib.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:46PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:51PM

A bib for a boob?

Date: May 15, 2019 10:53PM

I blush.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 10:56PM

If only a god would say, "I've had it with Pat Robertson."

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 11:17PM

You lost me at "Leviticus".
If you believe Leviticus, you'd stone your kids to death for swearing and since you're not a murderer, I assume, STFU about what your homicidal God had to say in Leviticus.
You're not a murderer, you're just a fucking asshole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 11:18PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 11:18PM

Apparently the thought - concept of Credibility hasn't checked in with PR.

just sayin'

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 11:18PM

Atomic War? That is so 1950. Um, it is 2019, use correct terminology Pat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 11:26PM

Is this an upgrade? I thought God sent hurricanes and earthquakes.

BTW, there was a story on NPR yesterday about how the fallout shelter business is booming. Yes, they are still a thing. Apparently there is an uptick in people thinking that lunatics are running the nuclear asylum, Pat Robertson being a case in point (that is, he has nuke danger on his mind)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 11:26PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 06:54AM

The evangelicals are worried about their boy in Washington? I thought they wanted Atomic war to bring Jesus back.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 12:34AM

Pat “Marion” Robertson
Russell “Marion” Nelson.

Hmmm. I wonder if they’re related.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 12:43AM

Twins separated at birth!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 01:13AM

god will send atomic war says the guy who can change the course of hurricanes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:23AM

I think that Pat Robertson should spell out exactly how he wants LGBTQ individuals discriminated against in the name of "religious freedom." Would he like for a landlord to deny them a place to live? Would he like for them to be fired from their jobs? To be turned away from hotels and restaurants? Spell it out, Pat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 05:23AM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 01:41PM

He wants to be able to cite his religion as the reason why he wants to discriminate against gays et al.

He is just unhappy because the law would forbid him and his ilk from doing that.

He and his cronies want to be free to harass, fire, refuse to rent to, or otherwise disenfranchise gays. The disheartening thing is that a lot of people agree with him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 06:29PM

Yup. I'd just like to see him own that, as opposed to hiding behind "religious freedom."

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:03AM

Slim Pickens is a horseman of the apocalypse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3edi2Wkr5YI

No, Pat Robertson is an asshole.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:40AM

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:48AM

I thought God was going to swallow us up over gay marriage... anything to keep that base fired up and offended. Their rights to be hypocritical bigots in sugar coated robes of religiosity is still going to be allowed. But their Christian love to treat people like crap that don't fit into their shinny little plastic bubbles is about to burst. And they are victims?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 10:53AM

Pat Robertson, suffering from the delusion that somehow the United States is top of god's most favored nation list.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:05AM

I ignore people like Pat Robertson. They have nothing to say that I want to hear. Even when their words are outrageous, they are not worthy of my attention, let alone outrage.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 12:03PM

I'd like to ignore him, but for many evangelical types, he is some type of authority. He influences them. In turn, they act in ways that impact our laws and intrude in our lives.

I used to ignore people like him but now I'm reconsidering. These types who go unchecked are becoming painful and too many evangelicals (and others) are enabling him.

True, he's like the senile crazy uncle at the dinner table, but his influence is real.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 03:27PM

I think you give him far more weight among evangelicals than he actually has. His following is mostly through his TV program and I am not sure where that stands in ratings. He draws attention from the media mostly because of the outlandish nature of his pronouncements rather than any particular standing with evangelicals at large. Obviously this is anecdotal but as a believer I have never heard him quoted or referenced in a positive way with those I associate with.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 04:10PM

What are other evangelicals doing to repudiate and condemn him? Nothing, from what I can tell. They look the other way.

His TV show makes money or it would not continue. That money is coming from people who support him. Looking the other way is not enough.

I would think most Christians would be as outraged at him as they were with the Westboro extremists. I'm sure he is bigger than they were. I just don't see mainstream evangelicals jumping up to refute him in the media. Maybe the media doesn't care either.

I was thinking about the Christians who complain that they are under attack. Maybe if they worked to vocally repudiate and condemn instead of ignoring their radical fringe, the rest of us wouldn't have to be the critical alarm system.

There are politicians out there who are working to grant the most radical Christian wishes to keep them voting. Robertson is exactly the kind of voice they hear.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:33AM

Pat Robertson and his ilk may be praying for fire and brimstone only to prove himself right. While others pray (and work) for world peace.

One of my neighbors has a sign on their front yard that says, "We pray for peace so that hopefully one day we will no longer need to."

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 02:49PM

If we keep electing the people Pat Robertson wants us to, atomic war will come whether we have the Equality Act or not. I guess this is the kind of stuff he needs to say to get noticed. Sad.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 04:39PM

So let me get this straight. God is going to be fed up if the equality act is passed. He will be so mad he will destroy at least America.
So all god really cares about are finding keys and not having equal rights.
He does not threaten to destroy countries for leaders killing millions of their own people. Oh wait those are usually religious wars.
He does not care about people waging wars because they are greedy and want to rule any or all other countries on the earth.
He does not care about the millions of people (adults and children) living in poverty and dying each day.

No wonder the profit is also against the equality act because he does know God does care about cattle ranches, shopping malls and office buildings. He would hate to think god let him use all of his money to invest in these things only to see them wiped out when he destroys at least America.

Date: May 16, 2019 04:54PM

flutterbypurple Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> So all god really cares about are finding keys and
> not having equal rights.

I think that line deserves its own post.

Date: May 18, 2019 09:16PM

All hate groups sock puppet God. “We don’t hate you, God hates you”.

Mr Bigglesworth did it so much better: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-j4eIjQ5c

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:32PM

He can't pronounce nuclear.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 08:28PM

Is he one of the ones that says "NUKE-ya-ler?"

Fingernails on blackboard syndrome.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:00AM

Brinkmanship with cause nuclear war. One of the three main countries (likely USA) will start being aggressive to the others, to distract people from massive internal problems.

In the case of the USA, vast amounts of money are taken by the government off ordinary people, and then put into hugely expensive defense programs. They can't be properly audited as a lot of expenditure and usage is classified. We don't even know how effective they are against an enemy. Some of them will be pretty effective, but there is massive wastage in that sector that people rarely about.

However, these government employees still receive some political pressure. And to relieve that political pressure they have to try and make themselves look useful or to create a threat rather than combating it.

When a significant amount of a country's GDP is taken over by the government, that is usually a sure sign of trouble.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:00AM

* Will

Date: May 18, 2019 08:59PM

Jordan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When a significant amount of a country's GDP is
> taken over by the government, that is usually a
> sure sign of trouble.

My heavens! That means Finland, Belgium and Denmark are about to start World War Three!

Date: May 18, 2019 09:34PM

Government isn’t the problem, as China has demonstrated by its phenomenal growth. Corruption is the problem. Real wages remaining flat for 40 years isn’t the fault of capitalism. It’s the fault of massive fraud on an unimaginable scale. China is better with the fraud problem than us. Over there, heads actually roll.

Our system of slavery is based on religious ideology. Theirs isn’t cuz, well, no religion. It’s not a question of morality, it’s a question of sustainability. A slow rise out of slavery will beat perpetual slavery.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:13PM

The day Pat Robertson takes the dirt map will be a GOOD day!

Date: May 18, 2019 09:16PM

The dirt nap, too!

Date: May 18, 2019 09:50PM

But he’ll miss Jesus’s big whoopass comeback special. Maybe heaven will stream it for him.

Date: May 18, 2019 09:53PM

He can call in a favor. After all, Pat has done more for the salvation of man than anyone save Jesus himself.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 12:42PM

Lol...auto correct strikes again...

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:30PM

the way I see it, Congress can pass as many laws as they want but I don't see that it's going to change the hard fact that discrimination on the basis of their sexual orientation and gender identity is rampant in this country. Landlords aren't going to change their minds about who they are going to rent to especially if they are conservative Christians. Small businesses in small traditional towns see "gender identity" people as driving away the customer.

Yes Pat R. may be a bigot but most of the rest of middle ('deplorable') america is as well. Maybe the future will be different?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 10:06PM

Pat has the brains of a paper weight as does anyone who listens

to him .

Date: May 18, 2019 10:11PM

Is Pat the one that was married to Tammy Baker?

Date: May 18, 2019 10:41PM

No but same mentality and uber christian personality.

Date: May 18, 2019 10:55PM

Well that joke went over your head.

Date: May 19, 2019 01:29PM

Thats a good excuse as any.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.