Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:19PM

Turns out that yesterday two private jets carried Nelson & wife plus a few other top church couples to Kona, Tokyo, etc.

The detailed article is posted on the other exmormon website , I don't know how to link to it.
But it is worth reading.
You need to scroll down a little since it was posted yesterday.

Guess since the church does not get to use Huntsman jets anymore they decided to drop the charade and charter private jets outright.

The writer probably under-estimated the cost for this trip since the jet also provides topnotch food for an additional fee.

Anyway, it appears that the use of the Huntsman jet wasn't free either - the morg pain 2 million a year for its use.

Remember this, folks, when they ask you to clean their buildings for free or hound you for tithes.

Access to that much money without oversight and giving an accounting to the members corrupts absolutely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:24PM

Give Brother Nelson a break, he's The Prophet of God.

On the other hand, why can't he ride around on a beam of light like God and Jesus and all those bible rockstars that kept bugging JS to restore the church?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:57PM

That’s why they built City Creek. Only upscale shopping will do.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:59PM

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Turns out that yesterday two private jets carried
> Nelson & wife plus a few other top church couples
> to Kona, Tokyo, etc.

I ain't sayin' she's a golddigger...that was her founding prophet.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 02:31PM

If they are going to be asked to constantly lie for the Lord/LDS Inc., they need to be compensated appropriately - G damn it!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 02:45PM

I don't think most members would be outraged. They expect their profit to be treated as a somebody, VIP.

I don't think members would appreciate a story about their beloved surgeon CEO riding in coach on Amtrak or traveling on the Dog.

Added: If I thought that the purpose of the church was to help the poor and sick, then it would bother me a great deal.

Keep in mind that members are pleased to hear that they can best serve their community not by feeding and clothing the needy, but rather by living the gospel. (I kid you not! That's a recent BYU speech from the RS presidency!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 02:51PM by messygoop.

Date: May 17, 2019 04:22PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Keep in mind that members are pleased to hear that
> they can best serve their community not by feeding
> and clothing the needy, but rather by living the
> gospel. (I kid you not! That's a recent BYU speech
> from the RS presidency!)

Not surprised. I'm reminded of the push to get Hinckley recognized as one of the most influential Americans of the 20th Century.

Yuck!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:24PM

Wow. Not much room for Jesus in that speech.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 02:49PM

I'm always entertained by people's outrage over how someone else spends private money.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 03:10PM

dogblogger Wrote:
> I'm always entertained by people's outrage over
> how someone else spends private money.

If any of the money "someone else" is spending came from one's own pocket, and one feels that it was solicited under somewhat false pretenses, one has a right to express an opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 03:10PM by scmd1.

Date: May 17, 2019 04:22PM

I'm always entertained when that money comes from gold fillings.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:25PM

Ouch, EB.

Devastation in one sentence.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 02:19PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:05PM

The money is solicited under false pretenses from people who very often can ill afford to give that much.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:42PM

dogblogger Wrote:
> I'm always entertained by people's outrage over
> how someone else spends private money.

This is not private money. It is tithing money that is used.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 05:19PM

To think it's all a big tax write-off too.

They don't pay a cent in taxes on any of this trip. Because it's church related "business" cough cough.

It's free to them all the way around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 05:19PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:10PM

He is as corrupt as any big televangelist who spends millions in housing, travel, etc. and expect their flock to fork over the pittance they need for their families. He is in it for the money, the fame and the adoration.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:16PM

I think $800K for one trip is a huge over-estimate. The original post came up with this number by inflating the provider’s published rate (“list price”) by about a third.

There are some problems with this methodology. First, the published rate was all-inclusive because the provider dumps everything into the hourly operating rate. Second, it’s unlikely that anyone pays the published rate, because they will negotiate discounts. For a long haul trip to Hawaii and Japan, there is probably another discount.

Most importantly, the provider is an arm of Delta Airlines, which has a hub in Salt Lake City. The church does a lot of business with Delta, including sending tens of thousands of missionaries around the country and the world. A company that does so much business with an airline can negotiate rates and perks. GA first class upgrades may be cheap or free for to church. Delta may throw in the occasional private jet trip, or at least a hefty discount on it, to the church’s “CEO”.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Date: May 17, 2019 06:20PM

You can see the greed in their beady eyes too. If you're looking to see a shred of humility in those snake eyes fuhgetaboutit.

I swear to God on my mama's bible Russ looks like a serpent with a slithery tongue and tail.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:38PM

I don't think they realize how scary Nelson looks. It could just be some unflattering aging, but I also think his personality has hardened over the last 10 years.

Even Uchtdorf, as pleasant as he can be, is not a humble man. He knows damn well he's a star, even outside the First Presidency. And he's a hypocrite for not allowing refugees to live in his own vacation homes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:21PM

> The church does a lot of business
> with Delta, including sending tens
> of thousands of missionaries around
> the country and the world. A company
> that does so much business with an
> airline can negotiate rates and perks.
> GA first class upgrades may be cheap
> or free for to church. Delta may throw
> in the occasional private jet trip, or
> at least a hefty discount on it, to
> the church’s “CEO”.

I remembered this fact after I commented on the other thread. The church is paying for 100s of flights a month, so their mileage points have to be staggering! So it's a virtual certainty that they do not pay what the public pays for these expensive sounding flights. You just know that they've got some smarty-pants bookkeeper typing working full time to come up with the best angles for using those mileage points. It's what all of us would do...

Date: May 17, 2019 06:26PM

Was it explained what exactly two private jets were needed to fly a handful of church CEO's to the same exact locations, when one private jet would have sufficed?

Me thinks there's a whole lot more to this story than the news outlets are portraying to the media.

If one private jet costs $800,000 to fly? Do two jets double the cost of that?

TSCC has so much money to burn it just can't seem to help itself may be the only viable explanation it needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 06:27PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:32PM

In the Reddit story, one plane was going to Kona, HI while the other plane was going to Tokyo. Each passenger manifest was two couples + one security guy. There was nothing in that story about any further touring and the cost analysis was for the direct flights to and from the two above destinations.

I haven't looked for any stories that add further itinerary; if the two groups are going to other stops, that would add fuel to the fire.

Date: May 18, 2019 01:53PM

So at least 160k (I did the math) for a Hawaiian vacation? Nice.

We're just humble servants of the Lord!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:43PM

Hey, when you are trying to be accepted as mainstream Christian, that is exactly what any decent mega-pastor would do.

Maybe this is another sign they are becoming shameless like the other hypocritical Christians they want to be included with (you know the types I mean- not all Christians).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:52PM

What?....not flying on Huntsman Air?

Posted by: argh ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:12AM

If you read the links in the Reddit article, the writer seems to point out that use of the Huntsman planes was never "free".

Instead, the church leased the planes through Huntsman for $ 2 million per year but let the members believe their humble prophet only got to use them occasionally

So this was a just a ruse to fool the members,no?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 02:26PM

Someone told me back in the Hinkster era that the profit flew everywhere on Huntsman's jet gratis. Thanks for enlightening me.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 09:46AM

Rappers purchase private jets after becoming indispensable to humanity. Why would you figure any other extremely vital person should not enjoy the same tool?

Intelligent entities purchase many jets.

They are used for the sake of profitability and efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6uPwYkhVIQ

The Saints should be happy to learn that Dr. Nelson is also concerned with church financial prudency.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 11:49AM

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but the Pacific basin is a happy hunting ground for the church. Some of the South Sea Islands are probably the most Mormon countries around and then you have Australia, New Zealand and Japan which have fewer members but a lot of money.

Outside of flying, there is no quick way to get around them.

But agree with some of the comments above

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 11:50AM

Your tithing dollars at work.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 01:41PM

Well, it’s what cult leaders do.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:46PM

Missing out on the chance to run into Mick Jagger and give him the second missionary lesson and challenge him to set a Baptismal date!

Date: May 20, 2019 07:50AM

$800,000 is only the tip of the iceberg for this trip the Nelsons are taking, along with their entourage. That is a lowball figure designed to throw people off the real mark for the price it will cost the tithepayers for them to fly in a private jet to all the stops along the way of their destinations of a South Seas islands vaca.

They should be hanging their heads in shame. But for they are too high and haughty to do that. Nelson and Wendy feel entitled and empowered and durst I add, emboldened to be so brazen.

Date: May 21, 2019 11:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:

> They should be hanging their heads in shame. But
> for they are too high and haughty to do that.
> Nelson and Wendy feel entitled and empowered and
> durst I add, emboldened to be so brazen.

So true. Nelson, and especially his calculating wife, have figured out how to generate more power from prophet worship than anyone since the unfortunate Kimball. They are brazen, careless, and even flippant, not even bothering to follow the Mormon scriptures on which their power uneasily rests. I think they've irrevocably exposed the hoax at the heart of Mormonism.

And maybe one day they actually will hang their heads in shame.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:12AM

the saddest part of the whole scene is the lack of motivation for any accounting or responsibility; they've got the Sheeple completely entranced with BS.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:13AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.