Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:17AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 01:18AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 01:32AM

What do you mean?! Isn't he a "special witness of christ"? Are you telling me that he a J-dawg don't hang out and drink postum on Thursday mornings?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 02:07AM

I was thinking the same, the prophet had a face to face weekly with the Lord.

Googled the idea of this conference I came up with this
http://www.mormonthink.com/responses/as-if-they-were-speaking-for-god.htm

This link is double speak, what you think it's the fact is contradict in the next statement.

If you can make sense of this, please explain uhh simple language, thank you.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:27AM

I wonder how many Mormons today still believe that the President of the Church has weekly meetings (perhaps in an upper room in the Salt Lake Temple) with Jesus.

Since the Church is named "The Church of Jesus Christ ...," I think Jesus would have to be regarded as the true head of the Church, with the President/Prophet being his mouthpiece. So it seems to me that the President/Prophet meeting regularly with Jesus would be essential, just as Jesus met personally with Joseph Smith in the Sacred Grove to get the ball rolling for the restoration of his Church.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:56AM

It's my understanding that the myth of the top 15 meeting with Jesus started in the early days of the Salt Lake Temple. Apostle J. Golden Kimball slipped on the stairs while leaving the upper room of the temple. He landed hard on his tail bone and shouted "Oh Jesus!" .
The other brethren didn't know what had happened but didn't want to feel left out so they spread that myth of regular meetings with the Lord.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 02:13PM

I remember a guy I knew when I was at USU who was convinced the prophet had a daily meeting with Christ. Christ would present the prophet with his daily itinerary and script for each day. This guy truly believed that every word that came out of the prophets mouth was scripted by Christ himself.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 04:12PM

Oh, yes he does. In his dreams!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:20PM

I never believed it to begin with.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:42PM

Not in the least. During one of my many conversations with Jesus (via email) some years ago, he informed me that he had "never heard of Mormons".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 12:24AM

refer to Profile of a Prophet for the truth/correct, accurate context

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/hugh-b-brown_profile-of-a-prophet/

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 12:53AM

If an apostle did meet with Jesus, I think he’d come away with two black eyes and some missing teeth.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 09:38AM

I have a question for you, anybody. Why do you not ever answer your own questions?

Just wondering.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 10:28AM

When I asked them the one question, the biggest question of my life, I was just berated and told they didn't have time for a lowly person like me. That was really eye opening.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 12:04PM

Yes indeed.

They're so self-important I don't think they have time for anything they haven't already budgeted into their heavily scheduled PR appointment books for their day.

That's how they got to where they are. By self-promotion and stepping over the bodies of those they cast aside along the way to get where they're at.

Talk with God? What's that to them? Probably not worth the paper it's printed on.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 01:54PM

I never believed that Mormon prophets talked with Jesus.

My close relative, now deceased, was in the First Presidency. He always made it very clear to everyone, that he and the others, even the President, NEVER spoke to Christ, never saw Christ. He would get angry, when someone would mention rumors that the church President met regularly with Jesus in the upper rooms of the Salt Lake Temple. This was his pet peeve. I was with him, when someone asked him the question, "What is it like to talk face-to-face with Jesus." It was one of the few times I saw him get angry. (He was a lovely human being. He didn't agree with the way the church was heading into fundamentalism, and he would be considered a "liberal" Mormon today.)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 02:00PM

Fundamentalism is the only way the church can survive in the Information Age. It may be distasteful, but there’s a business empire to run. Mormon, mammon, kinda sounds the same.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 02:12PM

I was disappointed Jesus didn't talk with me!

I realized the claims of LDS prophets were misleading in the way they implied Jesus was physically at their temple meetings. It dawned on me that the Bible prophets did the same thing. They didn't see God either. Their contact always required some kind of magic behind-the-curtain communication while they were alone. How convenient.

This was the way God communicated? With prophets? That was the best He could do? Give me break. Abraham seemed psychotic like the other people who try to kill their kids because God said so.

The Bible is a tough act to follow. If you're going to be a prophet nowadays, you have to come up with ambiguous ways to claim God talks to you. Spiritual eyes. In the spirit. Feelings.

Lame.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.