Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 02:51PM

And can someone/anyone produce recent documentation as to when that "Celestial Perk" was officially redacted from present-day Mormon theology and/or doctrine.

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 03:05PM

would-prattle-endlessly-about-what-he-was-going-to-do-with-his-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 03:33PM

"Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000.

“Just think of the possibilities, the potential. Every little boy that has just been born becomes an heir to this glorious, glorious program. When he is grown, he meets a lovely woman; they are married in the holy temple. They live all the commandments of the Lord. They keep themselves clean. And then they become sons of God, and they go forward with their great program—they go beyond the angels, beyond the angels and the gods that are waiting there. They go to their exaltation.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1975, p. 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1975, p. 80 Official Mormon publication.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/11/the-privilege-of-holding-the-priesthood?lang=e

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 05:06PM

See, this is why the Universe is expanding! To make room for all the stars and planets that will be needed! Dark Matter is what we load into our Celestial wheelbarrows to use to make a star and planets, and Dark Energy is what we use to power up our creations. There is also Dark Intelligence, but it's too sacred for me to discuss with you heathens. But one clue: fist bumps are involved...

There's also another ingredient: Dark Honor.

See, once you're a ghawd, and you are all kinds of 'omni' this and omni that, there is only one thing that sets you apart from the other ghawds, and it is strictly imposed and honored. That thing is 'rank', as in seniority, and it is inviolate. Which is what Black Holes are: prisons for ghawds who broke the law of seniority.

Remember when our brother Lucifer said, "Dudes, I'll go down and I'll save all of you alls, and then the glory shall be mine, Hahahahaha!!!" And two-thirds of us muttered, "'ere now, what's all this about then, eh?" While the other third of the Boasts of Heaven said, "You tell'em, Lucy!"

Well, the 'glory' to which Lucifer, and then Jesus, referred to is what sets all the totally 'omni' dudes apart. Every ghawd has a unique amount of glory, and it's visible to all the other ghawds. Now I don't know if it's a number or a color, or just exactly how this glory score is made known, but every ghawd knows what his glory score is and what the glory score is of every ghawd he encounters or about whom he inquires.

And the measurement of this glory is so detailed, so precise, that it is impossible for two ghawds to have the same glory score. And so one ghawd always knows when he encounters another ghawd who has to bow first.

And they all want more glory! Well, the achievers do...

Because there are a few insouciant ghawds who don't play that game, and they keep track of relative status by their golf handicaps and by other practical skill sets. Not every ghawd plays the ghawd game.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 10:35PM

Wow, you know a lot about this stuff, even about handicaps(one of the great mysteries). I’ve always wanted to know....Do the Golf Gods penalize sandbaggers with bad breaks? Or do they get away with it here on Earth and just have to play shitty courses with old balls in the hereafter?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:02AM

bobofitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, you know a lot about this stuff. . .

Why would we expect anything less from the Voice of the Geiko Gecko?

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 05:10PM

I am seriously hoping that Mormonism dies when we do. I don't want to live with this s*** forever.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 05:24PM

I never heard the word "planet" used in this context, but I often heard the terms "world" and "worlds".

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 07:19PM

Mos def.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 08:27PM

I believe it was in 2012 (during the Romney US presidential campaign) when the church released the following statement:

"12. Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will 'get their own planet'?

"No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church. This misunderstanding stems from speculative comments unreflective of scriptural doctrine. Latter-day Saints believe that we are all sons and daughters of God and that all of us have the potential to grow during and after this life to become like our Heavenly Father (see Romans 8:16-17). The Church does not and has never purported to fully understand the specifics of Christ’s statement that “in my Father’s house are many mansions” (John 14:2)."

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/frequently-asked-questions

Unfortunately, the statement as published in the link has no date of origination, but as I said above, I believe it's from 2012. (Someone else might be interested in researching further.)

Growing up in the 1970's and '80's though, I remember that we would be granted worlds without end, not just one lame @$$ planet ... like our own galaxy or even universe!

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:08PM

lurking in Wrote:
> Growing up in the 1970's and '80's though, I
> remember that we would be granted worlds without
> end, not just one lame @$$ planet ... like our own
> galaxy or even universe!

I would agree to endure to the end not for a paltry planet, but only for a galaxy.

After all, take a look at how much cosmic space is at the disposal of the Mormon God who promises all this stuff to us.

A galaxy or two is that to which we should aspire.

Stand thy ground and claim fair shares of outer space.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 01:19AM

is that it is itself neither scripture nor doctrine and contradicts what the Prophets and Apostles taught generation after generation for...generations.

Just one example: Lorenzo Snow was a prophet who taught that we one day can become the same as God is now. Well, God has planets now, so....

Just another example of the church having a dozen conflicting, mutually contradictory positions on just about everything simultaneously and gas-lighting anyone who tries to keep track of the lies.

The LSD Church is basically a sleazy used car salesman that will tell you anything today to get you to buy whatever it is they're selling today--even if it's the opposite of what they were tryin to sell to you yesterday.

"But, but....you told me yesterday that the yellow car was the finest used car you had ever had on the lot, but today when I come to negotiate on the price you're telling me now that it's a hunk of junk and that I should buy that pink car over there?"

"Wait..what? I never said that about the yellow car. You must be mistaken. That yellow car has always been a lemon. I wouldn't sell it to my worst enemy. I'm sure I told you yesterday that you should buy the pink car. The pink car is a bargain at any price. You must have gotten confused. Happens all the time. Now let me get you behind the wheel of that pink car. It's a cream puff. Handles like a Porsche. The owner babied it like it was his own child."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 10:47AM

Exactly!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 08:34PM

Actually, it was a timeshare on Kolob. Speaking of which, your maintenance fees are overdue.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:43PM

...yes. Overdue HOA fees, unpaid member deposits, bounced tithing checks, suspect TR's, and the worst........degradation of the actual planetary real estate values. Management is currently looking for more hospitable, less extreme levels of radiation, gravitational stabilization, and toxic gas levels ........good luck. Please hold on to your tithing receipts, as refunds may be forthcoming.

Date: May 18, 2019 09:10PM

Looks like more brainwashing on the part of parents about these other worlds. I still hate Mormons and my family.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:33PM

I think it was "Worlds without end' we would inherit for those who received exaltation in the Celestial Kingkom.

Date: May 18, 2019 09:39PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> I think it was "Worlds without end' we would
> inherit for those who received exaltation in the
> Celestial Kingkom.

Maybe cult HQ got an advanced copy of Marvel's Dr. Strange.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 01:46PM

What might be the point of becoming a 'god' if U (the candidate) didn't have their own planet to rule over?

that's the 'temple' promise that those attending are "ordained" to be Kings & Queens, Gods & Goddesses, isn't it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 02:22PM

In my best Hinckley voice:

Oh, that was just a couplet.

I don't know that we teach that.

That's one of the "flecks of history" they are trying to wash down the memory hole as they attempt to merge with other Christians.

Date: May 19, 2019 04:09PM

my Best Hinckley voice IS BETTER THAN YOUR BEST HINCKLEY VOICE:

"I AM SUSTAINED AS SUCH"

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 05:17PM

(in a really bad fake French accent) We already got one. It's very nice.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 05:49PM

Planet? No.

Universe? Yes.

D&C 132:20 "they shall be gods because they have no end"
D&C 132:19 "they shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, power, fominions, all heights and depths....they shall pass to their exaltation and glory...which glory shall be a fullness and continuation of the seeds forever and ever."

We were always promised to be gods. To continue the work of creating spirit children, test them in mortality on worlds we directed to be created, to have the worthy ones exalted and to have them follow in our footsteps.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 05:55PM

As for the redaction of godhood.

Hinkley had a chance before the whole world to declare himself a prophet of god. To declare the he was in communication with god and to declare and defend the Mormon faith.

Instead he folded like a wet paper towel. Denied he was a prophet and denied the church taught the exaltation of man.

At that point I knew the church was false. It's own leader nothing more than a spineless coward taking money from children and widows, defending and protecting the molestation and sexual abuse of it's members and declaring he was a fraud.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:15PM

Excellent

Date: May 20, 2019 04:01AM

of having living prophets on the earth in these latter days to lead us.

It's such a blessing.

When Joe and Briggy said that God wanted all worthy men to have many wives and especially wanted the top leaders to have the biggest and best harems ever, weren't we all blessed?

When Wilford said that God told him to tell us "ix-nay on the "olygamy-pay" in a big way and told us that we needed to listen more to the US federal government and told the men to get rid of their surplus wives, weren't we all blessed?

When Brigham Young told us that the only god we needed to think about, worship and pray to was a guy named Adam, weren't we all blessed?

When subsequent prophets and apostles told us to ignore what Brigham Young said about the guy named Adam, weren't we all blessed?

When prophets Hinckley and Monson (among others) told us all to be proud, proud, proud, PROUD to be Mormons and to bear the "Mormon" label like a badge of honor, weren't we all blessed?

When prophet Nelson told us that whenever we used the nickname "Mormon" it made Jesus cry and feel insulted, weren't we all blessed?

I personally find it very exciting to be led by prophets who are constantly telling us to believe the opposite of what they previously told us to believe. It's like watching a really good ping-pong match.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 04:53AM

The simplest answer is yes, we were promised godhood and worlds to command. I never wanted any of it.

Posted by: Pantylover ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 01:39AM

Yes!!!
Naysayers just haven’t been in the church long enough. My in-laws always made jokes about how things would be different on their planet. I remember planning my planet as a kid. (I’m 45) We were specifically taught that the highest celestial kingdom “winners” would become Gods like the one now and populate our own worlds. Of course it was very confusing to me how “spirit children” would be created, they couldn’t be birthed without bodies.

Damn it I get so angry when the GMs now act perplexed as to how Mormons ever believed this crazy stuff that was never doctrine. They force fed it to us every Sunday, buttholes!

Date: May 21, 2019 02:02AM

they are also responsible for correcting incorrect teachings, particularly if they become widespread among the members.

History shows that the GAs have failed miserably at both tasks.

If an official hymnbook contains hymns that promote "false" doctrine and the official hymnbook is used throughout the church for decades or more, the GAs cannot disavow responsibility by saying it was "just a hymn".

If a couplet coined by a past prophet is quoted virtually every other day in the church for a century or more about how God was once like an ordinary human and ordinary humans can one day become just like God, the GAs can't disavow responsibility by saying it was "just a couplet".

The fact that they try tells us all we need to know about their true character (or lack thereof).

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 10:41AM

I wasn't wrong. OH YES! And that was one of the reasons for polygamy because all the wives would be having spirit children to populate the world we had been promised.

Like don, I wanted none of it. I did want my family with me forever. But I didn't want to be a goddess or share my husband, and I certainly didn't want to spend eternity with his family.

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:30PM

According to UTLM.org:

Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.2, p.48:

The Father has promised us that through our faithfulness we shall be blessed with the fulness of his kingdom. In other words we will have the privilege of becoming like him. To become like him we must have all the powers of godhood; thus a man and his wife when glorified will have spirit children who eventually will go on an earth like this one we are on and pass through the same kind of experiences, being subject to mortal conditions, and if faithful, then they also will receive the fulness of exaltation and partake of the same blessings. There is no end to this development; it will go on forever. We will become gods and have jurisdiction over worlds, and these worlds will be peopled by our own offspring. We will have an endless eternity for this.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:41PM

I was promised worlds without number and I want them now, dammit !!!
And hurry ! All those spirit wives are not going to impregnate themselves you know !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 05:43PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: May 21, 2019 05:47PM

Lots of the claims of Mormonism are transmitted by suggestions & inferences. the Planet thing is supported by some scriptures with just enough wiggle room (gotta love it, Right) for church leaders to spin or deny it, that's what Hinckley was (in)famous for!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.