Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RM2012 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:10PM

I know people say there’s no evidence in Central or South America but what if we’re looking in the wrong place? What if the story really took place in the jungles of Africa? (Around the Congo region).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:14PM

What if? What difference would it make? There's no evidence in the Congo either.

Posted by: RM2012 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:17PM

They’ve never looked there before I would argue. Idk I’ve been reading the book again and a lot of me thinks it makes sense if it took place in Africa. It’s a wild idea I know. I’m just throwing it out there.

Date: May 21, 2019 04:30PM

Well, if it was in Africa, they could have walked, wouldn't have had to build a boat for Lehi and Co. or submarines for the Jarediites.

The land they supposedly found was uninhabited, as it was preserved for them. Humans originated from Africa. It was populated.

It aligns nicely with the Columbus discovering the new world.

While they maybe haven't looked in the Congo for the BOM, they've looked for other things and it's been well explored. If they found evidence of the BOM, we'd know about it.

Its common knowledge over almost 2 centuries of church history that it was in the Americas.

And even if the story took place in the Congo, it isn't true. Or are you implying it might be true because they haven't looked in the Congo for it yet?

Date: May 21, 2019 04:35PM

What makes the most sense if you read it, is that it took place in the minds of a few men in early nineteenth century protestant New England.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:31PM

God said in the D&C that the church should send people into the borders of the Lamanites in Missouri. So it isn't just a series of prophets who got it wrong, this is God's doing.

Date: May 21, 2019 06:45PM

>> Idk I’ve been reading the book again and a lot of me thinks it makes sense if it took place in Africa. It’s a wild idea I know.

What exactly are you reading in the BOM that makes you think this?

Date: May 21, 2019 08:20PM

The single greatest reason why the BoM story must have taken place in Africa is that we know it didn't happen anywhere else.

With the Ten Tribes under the North Pole is the other plausible alternative.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:05AM

You made me laugh . . .

Date: May 22, 2019 02:09AM

:)

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 02:00AM

The North Pole is another place they should probably be looking, now that you mention it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:30AM

So plausible. The Sword of Laban is probably there with all the other evidence for The Book of Mormon.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 01:37PM

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Africa it is! Heck, you've got the Comoro Islands right off the African coast, and I'm sure we'll eventually learn that a simple typo in Adamic changes "island" to "hill".

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:15PM

Well, yes, I think there could be evidence of the BOM on Mars. In the end, that's probably where the BOM "lands" will be found.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:19PM

....long ago in a galaxy far far away....

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:26PM

Sith Lord Nelson ruled an evil empire with the help of Jedi Oaks who had turned to the dark side.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:23PM

for the church then.

Because a succession of Prophets have said it takes place in the Americas. Which would make Prophets fallible.

Next question.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:28PM

Four Cumorahs????

Where's Tal?

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:24PM

"Which would make Prophets fallible."

(Mormon logic:) Not fallible, just speaking as men, dontcha know.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:32PM

“what if we’re looking in the wrong place?”

If you’re looking any place other than Joe’s imagination, you’re looking in the wrong place.

If you’re looking for a real place, that had real people, real language, and real events, you won’t find the Book of Mormon there.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:42PM

Yeah. Could be. You go to Africa and start looking. We'll be there as soon as we can.

Me? I'm going to first start looking in Liguria with Headquarters at the Splendido Hotel in Portofino. Will join you in Africa as soon as I confirm that there are no Nephite chariots in Northern Italy.

Date: May 21, 2019 04:49PM

The sealed portion of the BOM contains the following verse....

5th Nephi 2:4 And it came to pass that I came upon a man that was exceedingly white and delightsome and I approached the man and I did extend my hand in friendship unto him and said, "Dr. Livingston I presume?" And he did answer, "yes."

Date: May 21, 2019 04:58PM

Hahahahah ha ha ha ha!

. . . still laughing. . .

Date: May 21, 2019 05:09PM

Plus the fact that Africans skin color doesn't change to white and back again to dark depending on obedience to christian teachings, unlike American Indians /s

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:49PM

The problem is that there hasn't been evidence of a large civilization that keeps records on metal plates using a language that is supposedly derived from egyptian. There's no evidence that said large population worshiped a christian-ish god in that area either as far as I know.

If there were evidence of such a thing, Christianity would have said so by now.

Keep in mind, the problem that the LDS church has with "evidence" is that the events of the BOM would have left a major impact no matter where they took place. There were battles where huge numbers died. Large civilizations which had roads, governments, and religions that covered large areas, if they happened as described. These things leave footprints, that should stand out fairly easily.

And then there's the problem others have stated. No less than Joseph Smith himself has started that the events happened in the Americas. The whole point of which is to say that the US is a blessed nation just for being in North America. The whole of Mormonism is Amero-centric. If you don't believe that, be a missionary in Korea (like I was) trying to tell how Lehi was led to the America's because it was a blessed land.

The best (and funniest) explanation for the lack of evidence I've heard yet is that God wanted to keep things ambiguous to keep the LDS religion "Faith based" so he magically wiped out all evidence on purpose. Why he didn't choose to do the same with Biblical locations, no one knows, but, now that I think of it, that might explain the whole "historical Jesus" controversy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:24PM

all the Words in the BoM are valid words.

Well, most of them are.

Some of the words in the Book of Mormon are valid words, I'll swear to that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:53PM

They're digging in the wrong place.

Date: May 21, 2019 06:08PM

I'm thinking a trip into outer space may be needed. I think there might be a distinct possibility if we do that of asking God himself for the evidence.

Date: May 21, 2019 06:13PM

A space trip indeed! Perhaps a satellite could find images of large temples buried under centuries of jungle growth in the Congo.....and a chariot pulled by a Tapir.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 03:07AM

In a Jaredite space ship, perhaps...

Date: May 22, 2019 10:17AM

A Jaredite space ship! HAHA. Again, tight like unto a dish---the way I wish more things were at my age!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 06:24PM

Sure. Moroni crossed the Atlantic before burying the plates in a stone box in the hill Cumorah.

There are several narratives in the BoM that are physically impossible. Maybe you can use miracles to justify them, maybe, if you really want to believe, but since Joe was a known con man I wouldn’t bet money on it. All of the evidence taken in totality really proves that the BoM was made up in the 19th century. We know how and why. Can’t prove who, but have a list of suspects. Ruling out the impossible is your first step in figuring out what the church really is.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 06:32PM

Is it THAT guy again?

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 06:32PM

If it was in Africa then the Lamanites would be even darker than I thought.

Date: May 21, 2019 06:37PM

Actually, it's the Mormons who have things wrong about the Book of Mormon. I think their apologists will like your idea.

We're good. We have it all figured out. Thanks anyway.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 07:33PM

Oh, Done!!!! Lol lol lol :)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:20PM

in any way support that wild-eyed speculation, you may be on to something.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this after you have spent 10 years or so digging around the Congo for Book of Mormon evidence. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I think I already know that some of the evidence will be things like the following:

(1) In the Book of Mormon, Alma 53:4, we read about dirt. So dirt was one of the first things I was looking to examine in order to determine whether the region of the Congo was likely the location where the Book of Mormon events played out. Amazingly, it did not take long to find the evidence. Dirt was literally everywhere. Sometimes it was concealed by jungle overgrowth, but with just a little effort I could find dirt under the overgrowth. The odds of dirt existing both in the places mentioned in the Book of Mormon AND in the Congo region are astronomical. You may think that I would be satisfied with this incontrovertible evidence, but I wanted more....

(2) In the Book of Mormon, Alma 49:2, we can read about dirt, stones and arrows. So I figured if I could find evidence of all three of these items in the region of the Congo, that would be the clincher...the perfect trifecta of mutually corroborating evidence. I had already found dirt in abundance. But would I also find evidence of the existence of stones and arrows having existed in the region of the Congo in ancient times? I was worried that such evidence may have been lost. But when I interviewed some pygmies, each pygmy whom I interviewed confirmed to me that, according to their tribal traditions and stories, their ancestors had done things with not only stones, but also arrows.

Stay tuned.... Next week I will reveal even more evidence of uncanny parallels between the Book of Mormon and the region of the Congo, including a discussion of the significance of bodies of water.

Date: May 22, 2019 10:21AM

Why oh why are you giving this freebie to the apologists?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 02:02AM

which month is this?

I'm forgetting where Cumorah is (Darn!)

Date: May 22, 2019 03:23AM

Well, there's the real one in the Indian Ocean, the fake one in upstate New York, the one the apologists tell us exists in Latin America and from which the plates were teleported to NY, and now a fourth one in the Congo. I think that is what East Coast Exmo was getting at.

I'd just suggest that anyone going to that part of Africa had better take his vitamins since there's an epidemic of Ebola there right now. Maybe God isn't yet ready to expose the BoM ruins to the light of archaeological day.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:33AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe God
> isn't yet ready to expose the BoM ruins to the
> light of archaeological day.

Well, he took the single most important artifact of proof of The Book of Mormon away via angelic messenger.

Date: May 22, 2019 01:24PM

God is such a card. Always playing jokes on his followers and apologists!

Date: May 22, 2019 03:12PM

Always playing jokes on his followers using his servants - apologists!

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 01:28PM

This one of the best comedic threads ever... BofM... nothing new and all plagiarized! That about sums it up!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 01:29PM

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 01:50PM

That Lamanite curse really worked!

You may want to contract Rod Meldrum and ask him to modify the Heartland Model. Those true blue Americans in Utah County ain't gonna like this.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 01:55PM

Of course, we can find the great cities of Congohah and Zuluhemla.

But wait… what about Antarctica? No one's ever looked there either, right? Ever notice how the big polar peninsula points directly toward South America? Clearly that's the "narrow neck of land" that partially submerged during all the face o' the land rearranging during the 3 days of darkness in 3 Nephi. And penguins are cureloms and walruses are cumoms! It all fits!! OMG, someone call FairMormon!

Date: May 22, 2019 03:13PM

Antarctica is a false hiding place for lost tribes. Lucifer has his headquarters there until he comes to rule the UN with his false prophet.

Date: May 22, 2019 03:51PM

Plus Antarctica is COLD. Thanks to the Ten Tribes, by contrast, the caves below the North Pole have space heaters and are quite comfortable.

Date: May 22, 2019 04:54PM

Cold as Hell. Just ask the penguins.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 03:42PM

Anyone who knows it's false is not the one with problems. Dump every BofM ever printed into a landfill and the world would be better off.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 03:50PM

Years ago there was someone writing in Sunstone with the crazy idea that the whole thing took place in Malaysia. I'm not sure if this was serious, or just written in the language of "very serious people" as means of illustrating the absurdity of the the contemporary FARMS apologetics.

If someone can assemble a bunch of points of evidence (some stretched like a rubber band about to be shot off your finger) suggesting it is at least possible that the Book of Mormon took place in Malaysia--then no wonder FARMS can do the same with the Americas. I mean Malaysia--that's far fetched, but it is closer to Jerusalem.

When a limited geography theory helps use that, but feel free to use evidence on any point from all of North and South America--whatever it takes to make sure your reader doesn't lose their testimony!

Posted by: william law ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 04:49PM

Maybe you're asking the wrong question. Instead of asking where it happened ask if it happened.

Date: May 22, 2019 05:05PM

Remember. Besides locating "Congohah and Zuluhemla," Haha, (thank you Henry B. Eyeroll--still laughing), the area must be populated with dark skinned indiginous people with plenty of Jewish DNA. This is non-negotiable. And, they must not be enticing. This is critical. God made them dark so the Nephites wouldn't be tempted. Didn't seem to work too well though. God's curse was a little on the weak side as they all seem quite enticing.

According to Moroni 9:9-10 The Nephites were so wicked that they went and raped the young Lamanite girls and then killed em all and ate their flesh like wild animals. Even so, God did not turn the Nephite skin to black. I tell ya, when you are one of God's favorites you are gonna stay white. Just look at he Gerontocracy.

And they all lived happily ever after. (Fairy tales always end that way.)

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 05:07PM

How could Joseph Smith have discovered the plates in NY if Moroni buried them in Africa?

Date: May 22, 2019 06:10PM

They were "slippery." It took Moroni some major effort to get them moved "around" the Great Atlantic Rift in the earth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.