Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:49PM

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-name-alignment

I don't know how much I'm allowed to kind of copy and paste, so I shall sum up:

Mobile Apps:

"LDS Tools" is now Member Tools.
"LDS Media Library" is now Gospel Media
"Mormon Messages" is now Inspirational Messages.
"LDS Music" is now Sacred Music.
"LDS Sing-Along" is now Sing-Along Hymns.

"Church scripture and history show that getting the Church’s name right has been an evolving process from the faith’s earliest days. In the Book of Mormon, for example, Christ’s disciples could not agree on what to call the Church. Christ’s answer was to “take upon you the name of Christ.” In 1830 the Church was organized as the Church of Christ. The Church adopted a resolution in 1834 to change the name to the Church of the Latter Day Saints to distinguish it from other Christian denominations of the time. Then in 1838, the Lord Jesus Christ revealed to Joseph Smith that the name of the Church is to be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Over the years, the Church standardized the spelling and hyphenation of its name, making it The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as it is used today."

Jesus Christ! You can't even get it right from the get-go!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:56PM

when their "Member Tools" suggestion was actually taken seriously and implemented.

I knew a few member tools back when I was active in the church.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:44PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I knew a few member tools back when I was active in the church.

Hahaha!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:57PM

"Mormons: not getting it right from the git-go."

I like how that flows!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 12:06AM

Supposedly the idea is that "LDS" and "Mormon" are bad designations because they don't include any reference to Christ.

But "Member Tools" does not include any reference to Christ.

"Sing-Along Hymns" does not include any reference to Christ.

It's all a big show, where the "Prophet" pretends to be getting revelations and the members play along and pretend like the "revelations" are really profound when, in fact, they're all about the most trivial, petty administrative things imaginable. Meanwhile, all of the big "mysteries" remain mysteries because the "Prophet" doesn't have a clue.

Why do pointless "work for the dead" in the temple, when the names of most people who ever lived and died will not be found and alternative arrangements for them can easily be done in heaven?

The Prophet doesn't know. He can only shrug his shoulders. But he "knows" that Jesus gets depressed and sad whenever someone uses the word "Mormon" to talk about HIS church. Gawd! It's all so stupid!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:40PM

Being a tool is a compliment, tbms love being used and abused. Think of all the holy blessed spinsters sealed in congugial relationships with mormondoms founders.

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 01:25AM

mormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormon
mormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormon
mormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormonmormon

THERE! I SAID IT. HOW'S THAT?

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 01:51AM

They will always be Mormons to the rest of the world

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 02:20AM

Levi, it was always hollow. There may have been more social/community activities and a few more warm fuzzies, but the COJCOLDS has always been built on a false premise.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 02:34AM

That is true. But from the believer's perspective there used to be more activities, more confidence and hence more openness and tolerance, and doctrine that was taken seriously. From that believer's vantage the "church experience" is indeed hollower than it was before.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 10:33AM

It's a mindless pipe dream. Those who get sustenance from it are buying the hype. It has no substance.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 03:48PM

Oh say what is truth, it seems like a simpleton's religion.

It worked in a more innocent time when it felt safe not to ask questions and not to expect more in terms of questioning authority.

We were spoon fed what to believe. It was an easy sell so long as we asked little of our leaders in return. It couldn't go on like that forever though, now could it?

Only for those who want and need a clear authority figure controlling their every move could that possibly work. And the predatory types who need to be in control and want to dominate.

Yet there are those who still get some gainful benefit from going and believing in the mindset of what's left.

My elderly widowed cousin whom I just recently became acquainted with through our mutual interest in family history finds her center and inner peace in doing temple work. That brings her great satisfaction.

She's salt of the earth, as earnest and devout a believer as any could be. I do not fault her for that. She was indoctrinated in an earlier generation and time than I was when it was a more innocent time and place in our history than from when she was the same age I am now. We've lived different lives.

If she finds inner peace and contentment in that religion, then I have to say let it be. It is what it is. That is America. She is as American as I am. Yeah, we were both deceived. I just chose to follow a different path from the one she and I grew up on. Otherwise, we aren't really all that much different all things being equal.

In another country, another time, there would be no religious freedom. No religious tolerance. No choice at all to be what we will ourselves to be. We are living the Great American Experiment one day at a time.

But then I look at my poor nieces and nephews, and I worry about them because not only are they deceived, and deluded. They are watered down in their emotional IQ and compassion for others. They have been so insulated from the rest of the world because of the way they were raised they don't really know how to relate well beyond their little cocoon ie, intra-family web of relations they have woven for themselves to isolate themselves from the rest of the world. It's their security blanket I guess.

But they are so arrogant and over confident in themselves, and lacking in genuine people skills. There's a lot of anger there from my brothers children. Much anger from a lack of parenting they didn't get from their Mormon parents. I sense much resentment in their upbringing. But their insecurity and deep brainwashing over a lifetime won't allow them to question their discomfort and anxiety they may be feeling. So they stuff it inside, and it just keeps eating away at them more. They're fairly dysfunctional kids, getting by as adults. Living the Mormon facade. As did their parents. (A generational pattern repeating itself.)

I'd prefer not to be in anything than to believe in that lie.

I can believe in the bible, in God, I have no problem with the parables or Proverbs. On the one hand, if it weren't for my upbringing as a Mormon kid, maybe I wouldn't have got to where I questioned my religion so extensively that it led me out of the cult of Mormonism by comparing it to the Bible. Because if you really read the bible it tells you what to beware of. And it's spelled out pretty clearly that false prophets are real, and will try to deceive the very "elect" in the "latter days," yada yada.

And that they come to us like wolves in sheep's clothing. Well, you don't have to study very hard to see that's exactly who and what Joseph and Briggy were about. It's as plain as day. Biblical Concepts #101.

Date: May 25, 2019 03:57PM

I totally support the right of your widowed cousin or of anyone else who finds peace and contentment in its practices to embrace them, Amyjo. The LDS church is still very much based on faulty premises, but anyone who wishes to practice the religion should be free to practice it as long as they don't interfere with anyone else's freedom in doing so.

Amyjo Wrote:

>
> Yet there are those who still get some gainful
> benefit from going and believing in the mindset of
> what's left.
>
> My elderly widowed cousin whom I just recently
> became acquainted with through our mutual interest
> in family history finds her center and inner peace
> in doing temple work. That brings her great
> satisfaction.
>
> She's salt of the earth, as earnest and devout a
> believer as any could be. I do not fault her for
> that. She was indoctrinated in an earlier
> generation and time than I was when it was a more
> innocent time and place in our history than from
> when she was the same age I am now. We've lived
> different lives.
>
> If she finds inner peace and contentment in that
> religion, then I have to say let it be. It is what
> it is. That is America. She is as American as I
> am. Yeah, we were both deceived. I just chose to
> follow a different path from the one she and I
> grew up on. Otherwise, we aren't really all that
> much different all things being equal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 06:54PM by scmd1.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 07:37PM

scmd1 Wrote:
> I totally support the right of your widowed cousin
> or of anyone else who finds peace and contentment
> in its practices to embrace them, Amyjo. The LDS
> church is still very much based on faulty
> premises, but anyone who wishes to practice the
> religion should be free to practice it as long as
> they don't interfere with anyone else's freedom in
> doing so.
>

Yeah, right?!

If I hadn't had the negative experiences with some asshats that I did I wouldn't be as alienated from All Things Mormon as I am.

Date: May 25, 2019 11:34PM

I have mixed feeling in this regard, Amyjo. The church people -- particularly leadership, could have been more humane for sure. Still it's all based on lies, and the leadership treating people with compassion wouldn't make it one bit more true than it is now that they mostly treat people like pond scum.

It's a bogus religion. I'm not trying to drag anyone else away from it who does not want to leave, but I'm just as happy to know the truth before giving them any more of my time and money.

Amyjo Wrote:
>
>
> Yeah, right?!
>
> If I hadn't had the negative experiences with some
> asshats that I did I wouldn't be as alienated from
> All Things Mormon as I am.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:37PM

"a simpleton's religion" Hah!

But they are somehow self-made simpletons ...

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:53PM

They need to follow our lead and correlate the name to ‘the so called church’ lol easy to pronounce and spell!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.