Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 03:42PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 04:37PM

...Tactic 9. Offer "rewards" for continued and unwavering devotion.
Tactic 10. Promote the most gullible and intellectually useless devotees to "authority" positions.
Tactic 11. Asset-strip the members, creating a "servitude" status among the believers.
Tactic 12. Have a "fail-safe" position in the event of cult disintegration or rebellion.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 05:13PM

This list has Mormonism nailed. My favorite:

"The group interprets or uses words and phrases in new ways so that often the outside world does not understand."

The reverse is also true so that the cult member no longer understands the outside world. This is key.

Took me so long to figure out how to navigate in a normal society after being BIC in a staunch Mormon family.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 05:57PM

Very true of Christian Science. For example, Mary Baker Eddy came up with terms like "mortal mind," meaning the non-God or anti-Christ that is floating out there in the metaphysical cosmos and opposes God or "Immortal Mind," a.k.a. "Divine Mind."

Scientology (and other groups) like to come up with new terms such as "engrams" and "thetan." (I myself am a Level X Operating Cretin.)

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 06:31PM

...for anyone following the "NXIVM" trial, the gullibility and ignorance of these women is astounding. The basis for all this is, that YOU need a mentor; someone else to advance and educate you, to move you into a better place. Truly ignorant fools; individuals hell-bent on a self-destructive personal path........sad. But, so unfortunate as we see many of our younger friends and siblings caught up into this idea that they have less value or stature, and need to be counseled?....by these types?

...idiots.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 07:16PM

Odd since that very website seems to be pushing (oc)cultism of its own.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 07:18PM

Still, why hasn't anyone tried to take down the LDS church?

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 08:37PM

nolongerangry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still, why hasn't anyone tried to take down the
> LDS church?

If the members stopped going it wouldn’t need to be taken down. Why do so many stay, i wondered...

I think there are a lot of people who welcome being told what to do no matter how stupid the “rules “ are. As per above, believing you need a mentor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.