Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 05:48PM

We are told that in the temple we are taught eternal truths. If this is the case why did they drop the dressing part from two changes To one.i know it was to save time. It seemed to me that members should know how to dress for each Priesthood. They taught it for 150 plus years. Now it’s gone. Was it not an important teaching? I am getting the impression that the temple stuff is being dumbed down like the rest of the stuff.
So if this was not important what else is not important. Maybe the creation part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 05:51PM

To answer your question, they dropped the dressing part because there are no “eternal truths” it is all lies.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:07PM

Here’s an eternal truth: “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

Date: May 25, 2019 06:16PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here’s an eternal truth: “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

Yes, Babs! Righto!
Also in this context, you and your clothes are soon parted...once or twice... it varies...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 08:24PM

How did the fool get his money in the first place ?

Date: May 25, 2019 10:28PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did the fool get his money in the first place

Yeah, darn it? Inherited? My guess!!!

Some people just bought California real estate before 1980 and sat there and got rich...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:20PM

"Truth" is now being acknowledged for it always was, Relative, not Absolute.

People who interpret Truth for the unwashed masses have always known this. Yes, Truth is often termed as 'eternal & unchanging', but that's only as long as the ends are meeting the needs of the Proclaimers. As soon those needs are not being met, Truth becomes relative.

Truth must 'relate' to what people will believe and that is NEVER a constant, even when the needs of the Proclaimers remains a constant. Maybe that's the part of the equation that never changes?

"And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you…"
-- Kathy's Song
Simon & Garfunkel, 1966, right in the middle of my gd mission

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 06:37PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:22PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 08:23PM

One of the GAs (forgot which) wrote an Ensign story titled Absolute Truth(s).

Spence Kimball, Sept.1978 (yes, I'm old enough to remember it!, but I was 'very young', ha ha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 08:26PM by GNPE.

Posted by: 2 bored 2 log in ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 07:35PM

If the temple really taught "eternal truths," the church would never have discontinued the 19th-century features like the fully naked tub washing, the oath of vengeance, and the Adam-God lecture at the veil; also, garments would still be one-piece, wrist to ankle.

Apparently, eternity lasts only a few decades in mormonism.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 07:55PM

I would submit to you that there is no such thing as a dumb question if it is about something that you do not know!!!!!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 11:29PM

That is THE thing about THE (MORmON) church, it is BS from top to bottom, from one side to the other, from back to front, from start to finish MORmONISM is BS. The other (partner) question is when have you had enough MORmON BS because LDS Inc has an endless supply as long as there are people /MORmONS dumb enough to still pay for MORmONISM based BS because the STUPID people have not had enough. LD$ Inc will even refer MORmON BS as "eternal Truths" as long as MORmONS will still pay for it.

Date: May 26, 2019 02:20AM

Secular Priest,

I have reread your question and gave it a Little more thought.

I believe what you are getting to is questioning the details of the changes, which lead to to question the big stuff that you reference: the creation.

I believe if you follow your questions to their logical end you will get to where most of us here are: not believing any of it.

I understand that it might not be where you’re at yet. And if my answer was not sympathetic, or the responses from others were not, it’s because we don’t believe any of it anymore, but if that’s not where you’re at yet, that’s ok. You are heading in the right direction with your analysis.

Take care!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 05:12AM

The temple ceremony has changed multiple times over the years.

I remember reading something about the changes years ago. The jist of it was this.

The endowment is a means of conveying information. How that information is conveyed can change but the basic information is still there.

Is the basic information receiving four signs and tokens in exchange for making certain covenants? I don't know. The covenants have changed over time.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.