Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:48PM

You're an old-timer in Seattle if U remember:

(mostly north-end stuff)

Farrells Ice Cream on N. 130th

Great Northern Railway (station/depot in Richmond Beach)
I also remember the GN billboard on 3rd avenue at Stewart street

KJR & KOL radio stations, Bob Hardwick; Larry Nelson on KOMO

Playland

before I=5

others/your contributions are....?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 07:17PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:56PM

I travelled thru Seattle often when I lived in Alaska. Is that elevated highway by the pier still there?

Posted by: ALmostGOne1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 07:05PM

It's kind of there. They've been tearing it down. They built a great and spacious tunnel with 2 lanes going each way.

Date: May 25, 2019 07:10PM

Google 'Alaskan Way Viaduct' for updates...

the WSDOT engineers were afraid of at least 2 things:

- possible / future earthquake damage

- not enough projects for engineering job security.

Also, the increases of values of the adjacent properties has gone astronomical due to having a better view of the water, buildings & land were being sold & re-sold multiple times each week....

The tunnel project went gonzo over cost estimates, much of that responsibility to be later decided in court so the lawyers will be sure to get their share too....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 07:32PM by GNPE.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 07:23PM

GNPE Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> The tunnel project went gonzo over cost estimates,

Boston's "Big Dig" (I-93/"Central Artery") replaced an aging elevated with a massive tunnel complex. It was sold to us at $4.5B, finally finished at around $24.5B. Naturally, we still have massive commuting congestion. Now the Mayor is looking into "congestion fees (pricing)."

What can possibly go wrong?

Date: May 25, 2019 07:40PM

The main cause of the over-runs here was a failure of the boring machine, 'Big Bertha', which Naturally wasn't made in the U.S.A..

the failure was partly attributed to a left-behind (undisclosed?) pipe which (?) caused about a year's delay; the huge machine had to be removed from the hole & re=built.

'Luckily' the cost over-runs weren't on the scale of the Big Dig, but the BD was constantly mentioned when tunnel wags chatted.

Date: May 25, 2019 09:08PM

Date: May 25, 2019 07:35PM

GNPE wrote:

> - possible / future earthquake damage
>
> - not enough projects for engineering job security.

Ha! Masterly summation, GN!!

Thanks for the tip on googling it!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 08:07PM

When I was a kid living in Seattle I got a tour of the Great Northern roundhouse. They even gave us cub scouts a spin on the turntable.

And I thought J.P.Patches sucked.

Date: May 25, 2019 08:11PM

Seattlites—-will you be better off underground in an earthquake? The construction being halted for a month due to a sinkhole also seems alarming...

Date: May 25, 2019 09:18PM

we're assured that current seismic standards are adequate to be safe in all but ultra-extraordinary events....

Date: May 25, 2019 09:52PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> we're assured that current seismic standards are
> adequate to be safe in all but ultra-extraordinary events.

they have probably made those tunnels very strong. We’ll Hope!!!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 10:03PM

I loved Ferrel’s. I always had my birthday there.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 12:13AM

One of my most vivid memories of Seattle was many of the drivers seemed to be in training as proctologists.

When I learned to drive in SoCal, the rule of following was "one car length for every ten mph of speed." In Seattle, they weren't happy unless the front bumper of their car was right up the exhaust pipe of the car ahead of them. Regardless of speed.

Date: May 26, 2019 01:08AM

Once a light has gone yellow, they accelerate and tailgate the car ahead to make sure they are somehow, some way, in the intersection after it's turned red.

"But Officer, the light was yellow!" they say.
So I wrote them a ticket, "Yellow Light, Fail To Stop In a Timely Manner--$150."
"You said it was yellow. I'm not going to argue the matter."

BTW, Catnip, are you gf to SchrodingersCat or anything?

Date: May 26, 2019 03:29PM

There is a conundrum about that cat; either it is or isn't, either here or there, or some such thing. My memory isn't what it once was. SC and I are not "related."

And on the topic of intersections; what are the rules for "roundabouts??" My DH does most of the driving, and he sails through them without a hint of trepidation. But I have no clue. Do you treat them kind of like stop signs, regarding right of way? (i.e., if the guy on the right got there first, he goes through first, etc.)

Date: May 26, 2019 03:54PM

Ironically, civil engineers call them "traffic calming devices,"--YYAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhh! What do I do now---EEEEEiiiickkk!---what's that jerk doing?--AAAiiii!--Get out of my way!!!"

Okay, Catwoman: Technically speaking, entering a roundabout is tantamount to a "yield" sign, whether posted or not: entering the circle, you yield to any vehicle already in it. This can become especially confusing when the rotary has two (or more!) lanes circling it, as vehicles already in it may be navigating their way inside or outside the ring.

Then there's this:
Q: Who has the right-of-way in a roundabout?
A: Whoever has the most body damage.

And no, I didn't suggest that you and SchrodingersCat were an item, just that your usernames were fun to play with (I do that a lot). so you're not SchrodingersCatNip?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 03:17PM

Oh yes you did! I heard you singing, "Catnip and Schrody, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s ...

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 01:25AM

Farrels Ice Cream on 130th and Aurora was great. How about Herfey's Hamburgers, the Princess Margurite (round-trip day cruise to Vancouver BC via large luxury liner), JP Patches (kids morning TV show).

Date: May 26, 2019 08:05PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Princess Margurite (round-trip day cruise to Vancouver BC
> via large luxury liner).

I took my first Seattle gf to Victoria on the Princess not too long before it stopped (summer of '69); I asked her if she wanted (us) to get a room for the trip back (hinting of nookie, ja ja); Didn't happen :(

Date: May 26, 2019 08:08PM

I remember the Elephant Car Wash with the P-I globe close/terrific photo op...

13 Coins restaurant, Canlis' (I haven't yet).

My fav Seattle restaurant is Tai Tung in the International District. When I can't go there, low-brow Dick's will do, their malts are THE BEST!

Date: May 27, 2019 01:14AM

I wanted to take the Princess Marguerite day cruise SO badly! However, I was pregnant at the time (not even "scary" pregnant - only 6 or 7 months) but my now-ex refused. He was absolutely certain that I would go into labor on that ship.

I didn't learn until years later that he avoided water (despite having been a Navy officer) because he couldn't swim.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 01:53PM

I'm a Patches pal! I grew up watching JP Patches!

Date: May 26, 2019 03:34PM

Was he on radio in the mid to late 70s? I worked there from early 1975 to maybe mid to late 1978.

Date: May 26, 2019 08:09PM

Robert E Lee Hardwick; I think he was the morning guy on KVI.

Unfortunately he took his own life in 1992 as radio was changing more to the Talk format. He worked at a few other stations and returned to KVI briefly.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19920604&slug=1495350

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2019 08:15PM by GNPE.

Date: May 27, 2019 01:18AM

I must have listened to his show during the morning commute from Kirkland to Renton.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 03:20PM

The morning commute on I-5 from the North in to downtown Seattle used to slow down at around North Gate. I hear it's backed up every morning all the way to Mount Vernon now.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 04:49PM

I remember in the 80's a Farrell's Ice Cream in Tucson, Arizona :)

Posted by: authorandproprietor ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 06:08AM

I remember the Bubble Elevator at Seattle Center (the Bubbleator). I think it was removed in 1983. It was a remnant of the 1962 World's Fair.

And there were lots of other seattle center oddities that are now gone.

Date: May 27, 2019 02:40PM

Didn't Mittens buy the Bubbleator & install it in his Cali home?

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 03:01PM

I remember the Bubbleator! I thought it was so amazing when I was a kid.

Fond memories of birthdays at Farrell's, too. Growing up on the eastside, we also had birthdays at Kiddieland next to Bellevue Square.

I miss the sound of real hydroplane engines in the summer.

Still live in Seattle, in Ballard, and wow has it changed.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:54PM

My first memory of Seattle was when I was 16 years old and M/D brought us 4 kids from New Mexico for the World's Fair, almost 57 years to the date ago.

We planned on spending 3-4 days visiting everything. Got in about noon on the first day and by the end of day two we were"faired" out.

Went out to the Olympic peninsula, camped out at Ruby Beach, learned to dig razor clams. The four of us got a gunny sack full. Still wonder if there was limits, or license requirements, or if it was open season.

Mom cooked them up, we all thought they were great sand grit and all.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 01:09AM

I was born in Seattle during the Worlds Fair so I am the same age as the Space Needle.. i still live on the Salish Sea. Love it here. West Coast is the Best Coast.

Date: May 29, 2019 01:40AM

I (allegedly) grew up in Richmond Beach, which is between Edmonds & Golden Gardens along Puget sound, I now live very close to Sequim. I'm sure Sequim is the driest place in Western Washington, I'd nominate it for the best weather spot in the U.S.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 09:38AM

How about the two feet of snow you got this winter?

My BIL and his wife live in Sequim, one of his biggest complaints were the Californians that recently moved up and got their big SUVs and had no clue on how to drive in the snow.

His saying was, "You have to be smarter then the equipment you're trying to operate".

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 01:44PM

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, "Ye old Curiosity Shop", and grabbing a bowl of Ivars Clam Chowder before getting on the ferry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.