Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 08:18AM

She got half, now she's giving half :)

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/28/727612204/mackenzie-bezos-pledges-to-give-more-than-half-of-her-billions-to-charity

MacKenzie Bezos, who received more than $35 billion in her divorce from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, has signed the Giving Pledge, making a commitment to give more than half her fortune to charity or philanthropic causes.

"We each come by the gifts we have to offer by an infinite series of influences and lucky breaks we can never fully understand," Bezos wrote in a letter announcing her pledge. "In addition to whatever assets life has nurtured in me, I have a disproportionate amount of money to share."

As one of the wealthiest women in the world — and the ex-wife of a billionaire who has not signed the Giving Pledge — Bezos is the most prominent name on the list of new signatories to the pledge.

Jeff Bezos celebrated the news, saying via Twitter, "MacKenzie is going to be amazing and thoughtful and effective at philanthropy, and I'm proud of her."

Discussing her pledge, MacKenzie Bezos, a novelist, quoted from Annie Dillard's The Writing Life:

"Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book... The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better... Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes."

By signing the Giving Pledge, wealthy benefactors promise to give away more than half their assets, either during their life or after their death. The group does not require donors to name the organizations or causes they plan to support with the bulk of their fortunes.

Bezos said she will give careful thought to how she distributes the money. And in what may be a sign that she intends to far exceed the pledge's requirement of giving away more than half her money, she added, "It will take time and effort and care. But I won't wait. And I will keep at it until the safe is empty."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 08:24AM

That's an admirable thing to do, but honestly, even if I had that level of money I would never sign such a pledge. Just engage in philanthropy and people will see what you are doing soon enough.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 09:32AM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 11:24PM

Jordan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>yes. I would be more impressed if she used it to raise the salaries of those poor grunts toiling in her warehouses. Not to mention the contract employees there who don’t even get benefits.

As it is, she’ll maybe make a foundation like Bill Gates where he controls how every penny is spent and the terms for every grant.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 10:47AM

Why the divorce ?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 10:48AM

Date: May 29, 2019 11:19PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Why the divorce ?

He had a girlfriend...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 02:30PM

Pu**y tax.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:06PM

How about she earned it? She did. She made it possible for him to accumulate that wealth and was his wife before amazon. I’m surprised she didn’t get more.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:15PM

Or we could change corporate law in this country so “entrepreneurs” aka “job creators” can’t accumulate that kind of wealth at the expense of their workers and the american taxpayers (read:me).

This man’s greed is obscene. He’s obscene and his accomplishment is unimpressive. He had the legal wind at his back the whole time.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 12:25PM

Another example of someone donating in this case 18 billion dollars vs the church's donation of 2 billion over 20 years.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 01:01PM

It was once pointed out that Bill Gates as the riches person in the world could lose 99.9% of his wealth and still be richer than 99.9% of the people in the world.

Hard to imagine how much money MacKenzie has.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 10:56PM

As my university of Utah Jazz band professor Henry said during a fundraiser on the radio encouraging people to call in: “remember, it doesn’t cost anything to pledge.”

Date: May 29, 2019 11:27PM

jay Wrote:
> ... “remember, it doesn’t cost anything to pledge.”

Ha! She does sound sincere, but as they say, talk is cheap!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 01:50PM

He is proud of her, but not too proud or he might not have cheated on her.

I wonder if she might be able to give RFM a million dollars or two? ;o))

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 03:16PM

I wouldn't want to be her in terms of having my husband cheat on me and have it SO PUBLIC. I hope she's laughing all the way to the bank.

I say good for her. It is her money to do with what she chooses.

Date: May 31, 2019 11:25AM

cl2 Wrote:
> I wouldn't want to be her in terms of having my
> husband cheat on me and have it SO PUBLIC. I hope
> she's laughing all the way to the bank.
>
> I say good for her. It is her money to do with
> what she chooses.

Yeah, and I wonder if this public pledge isn't JUST A LITTLE to show up, you know, how generous and good she is, compared to the cheating ex-husband??? :) :) :) payback....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 01:26PM

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 12:57PM

She will probably found some charitable family foundation she can keep control of.

It saves on taxes and helps many causes, so everyone comes out happy.

Posted by: Tenement ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 03:21PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.