Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 06:50PM

I feel sorry for those small towns which are taken over by cults. It happens time and time again. Sad. :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 09:49PM

Makes me think of Baghwan Shree Rajneesh and his cult which bought the Big Muddy Ranch in Antelope, Oregon in the 1980s. Then there is, of course, Jim Jones (once the toast of polite society in San Francisco). And how about that weird group which settled in the Great Basin in 1847?

--SriFiend

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 11:17PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes me think of Baghwan Shree Rajneesh

Thanks, Caff! That’s the one I was trying to remember! And didn’t they try to get rid of the locals by poisoning the salad bar in town? Ouch!!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 12:24AM

I was looking it up to get the spelling right, and came across this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/rajneesh/2011/04/part_one_it_was_worse_than_we.html

Starting with the Hare krishnas and Maharji Ji (?) of Transcendental Meditation, there were quite a few Eastern gurus with their followings starting late in the 1960s onwards. The Krishnas built a commune in West Virginia (imagine that!), and likewise had their scandals of financial malfeasance, sexual exploitation (adults and minors, both), and even murder. If this interests you, check out "Monkey On A Stick."

Posted by: SuperWash ( )
Date: May 29, 2019 10:34PM

A nazi type group tried moving into a North Dakota small town(pop less than 20) to take over.
Their building burned to the ground and they were run out of the place.

Some times it takes some effort to convince people their kind is not welcome.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 02:42PM

Fairfield, Iowa went from having a gem called Parsons College to an empty campus - and then the Maharishi Yogi and his group bought the land/buildings and opened an international university.

The town developed a split - the "floaters" (newcomers affiliated with the college) and the original town residents.

At least for a while, business students had to open and run a going concern (often a business on the town square) for a period of time. Lots of rotating enterprises.

It remains a culinary destination for southeast Iowa thanks to the international composition of those enticed by the college.

Jeffs' cult is far worse, in my opinion. I hope the locals win in Minnesota and send the 6,000-sq.ft.-pole-barn-with residential-space-hopefuls packing!!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 04:19PM

Not Grand Marais!!! I love going up there! I hope the city finds a way to send them packing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 04:32PM

They should call up NASA and volunteer to colonize Mars.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 04:44PM

Maybe he hasn't heard about those Minn -es - ota winters!!!

I've sojourned in MN & other mid-west places, the climate there isn't appealing, at least to me: Hot/Humid summers, freeze your arse off winters, that's about it unless U count tornadoes...

at least BY & his posse had the sense to go somewhere that only Native Americans cared about...

Then the NAs got blamed for the MMM, what a rotten deal that was.

eta: How much later was it that people began to extract coal & copper ore? were there any other natural resources that have been valuable in Ew-tah / the IMW?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 04:50PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:16PM

A mormon cult moving to a town would make life unbearable for the normal decent residents and it would ruin their property values so they couldn't leave.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:32PM

Whatever happened to 'live & let live'? Sheesh!

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 07:11PM

I am a huge advocate of freedom, minding my own business and live and let live . Child rape does not qualify as any of those . it's a sick child where child abuse and spousal abuse is rampant . Illegality isn't freedom its illegality

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 07:12PM

Oops,it's,a,sick,cult sick,cult very sick,cult run by pedophiles

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 02:16PM

The Jeff's ilk forces girls to marry while they are still young children. It also drives out young boys who are competition and forces them into prostitution.

Warren Jeff's used public sexual humiliation as a punishment when he ran a private school for polyg kids. I'm sure this practice didn't go away just because he was finally caught for other crimes.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 08:52PM

Laws. We have laws. They abuse the welfare system (all them single mothers with 5 kids), they “marry” under age girls.
It’s not about live and let live, it’s about their actions and how they impact the lives of others around them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.