Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 09:14PM

I'm concerned as to what the ChurchCo unpaid sales corps in extreme areas is doing, I know that missionaries safety might be at risk. Do any posters here know of missionaries in those affected areas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 30, 2019 10:06PM

Do you think their garments will protect them from a flying 2x4 to the face? I would like to see if they work in a tornado. #sarcasm.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 04:58PM

"Do you think their garments will protect them from a flying 2x4 to the face?"

No. Not unless they pull them up over their head, but then they would be leaving their torso vulnerable.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 05:38PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Do you think their garments will protect them
> from a flying 2x4 to the face?"
>
> No. Not unless they pull them up over their head,
> but then they would be leaving their torso
> vulnerable.

I approve this comment. Thank you.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 01:37AM

Chances are that after the flooding or tornado, the unpaid sales force will "help" clean up the damage while wearing bright yellow t-shirts or vests advertising the cult. Of course, they'll make a big deal first that all missionaries are safe and accounted for.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 10:16AM

Exactly

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 03:14AM

I really hope they keep those poor kids safe.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 04:54AM

No idea. I remember someone being based in the Kansai, Japan when the Kobe Earthquake struck. He was lucky. I think it was a combination of being in the right location at the right time, and Japanese preparedness. He didn't really talk much about it when he came back, but gave no impression of church help.

Flooding tends to happen more in certain areas than others, so you would think they would be prepared. Yet bizarrely missionaries are taught not to swim.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 04:56AM

Really? Taught not to swim??

Date: May 31, 2019 05:23AM

oldpobot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really? Taught not to swim??

What I mean is that they probably know how to swim, but they are often discouraged from going in water or swimming during their mission.

The prohibition is based on D&C 61 which claims Satan ("the Destroyer") has power over the waters.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/61?lang=eng

Date: May 31, 2019 05:26AM

My cynical side says that this is probably a way of making sure mishies don't swim where there are undercurrents which could end up drowning them... and perhaps seeing acantily clad swimmers, but I could see how some might link this rule to avoiding it even in survival situations.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 05:34AM

I've been out on the highway when the last two tornado warnings have gone off in Maryland. You hear a very loud, insisting "EEPing" sound on your phone that demands that you look at it. It seems much louder than an Amber alert. The rain when the storm cells come through is intense, making it quite difficult to see. I've had to turn on the flashers on my car. Also, while the weather reporters are doing a good job tracking the cells, there is the element of unpredictability.

The missionaries in my area would be well advised to stick close to home or commercial areas where they can seek shelter quickly if they need to. The flood zones in central Maryland are well known, and local members can advise them about that.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 10:32AM

Jordan is correct, you don't want to go in floodwaters, not just for possible undercurrents but many other hazards. Oil, brake fluid, gasoline, anything that died (farm animals and farm runoff) as well as what is being carried down in the current such as cars or refrigerators that can pin you and kill you. Polluted and hidden obstacles. Also, in my area, it is unbelievable the number of snakes!

After a very heavy rain I stood on a bridge watching the rushing water beneath me and there were literally thousands of long, black snakes the river was full of them, enjoying themselves swimming down the flooded river.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 09:44PM

Mel, you are very correct about currents and snakes and more snakes! I remember in NC , exactly that happening with snakes. They were everywhere. You hear all the time about currents pulling people under and being electrocuted from electrical wires under water.
I know some places in Europe near beaches, they don’t send male missionaries, because of topless sunbathing.
Don’t know if it’s still like that, but I remember hearing about forbidden places all the time in the 80s

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 05:36PM

We can bet that if a mish was badly hurt or worse that ChurchCo would come up with (probably already prepared) plausible excuses...

They seldom take responsibility for their mistakes as they urge the rank-and-file members to...

just sayin'

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 05:47PM

Wouldn't be hard to avoid the damage path area unless they want (and are allowed) to get in there with the bright yellow shirts. As for flooding the floods that are occuring are not flash floods so there is plenty of time for evacuation of affected areas.
Incidentally the El Reno tornado from a few days ago (with two fatalities - in mobile homes) was in the town just west of Yukon, Ok which is home to the recently re-opended "Oklahoma City" McTemple; which is about 12 miles east-northeast of the end of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.