Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 10:44PM

When you were TBM? How times have changed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:01PM

I am going to confess that I now drink the occasional cup of coffee. I never make it for myself, but I'll stop every nonce in a while and buy a cup 'o Joe Smith.

I have learned to avoid Starbucks, where they pour the coffee, and instead, I give my business to Panera Bread, where they give ME the cup and I make my own seven to nine cups!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:10PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am going to confess that I now drink the
> occasional cup of coffee. I never make it for
> myself, but I'll stop every nonce in a while and
> buy a cup 'o Joe Smith.
>
> I have learned to avoid Starbucks, where they pour
> the coffee, and instead, I give my business to
> Panera Bread, where they give ME the cup and I
> make my own seven to nine cups!

She gave you the cup because she was flirting with you... !!!!!
The brazen hussy.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 09:25AM

"cup o' Joe Smith" FOFLMAO

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:08PM

Oh hell no. I felt like I'd just stepped into the celestial

kingdom of coffee... and it was minus the special underwear.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:13PM

I wouldn't set food in a Starbucks as a TBM due to guilt and how much of a self-righteous idiot I was.

Now I don't like ordering something from Starbucks because their coffee tastes burnt.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:16PM

Yes! Burnt beyond recognition.

. . . bunch o' damn gourmands!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 11:17PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:22PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Yes! Burnt beyond recognition!

If I want burnt coffee, I'll do it myself.
>
> . . . bunch o' damn gourmands!

pseudo-gourmands. Quasi-Epicureans who think the "stronger" Seattle-style gives a more powerful caffeine kick (it doesn't).

Dunkin Donuts coffee is the real McCoy. (the Real CafFiend)

Date: May 31, 2019 11:23PM

Dunkin Donuts be the shit!

Assuming that you don't do it yourself.

Date: May 31, 2019 11:45PM

My goodness!

It seems somebody's 3.14159% organic free-range cruelty-free all-natural dolphin-safe soy milk went sour.

Date: May 31, 2019 11:54PM

You may have a slightly inaccurate impression of me, O Caffeinated One.

More paleo than vegan!

Date: June 01, 2019 12:02AM

Date: June 01, 2019 12:18AM

What? You're vegan?

Date: June 01, 2019 12:38AM

Good grief, I'm not even allowed in Whole Foods. Apparently I ruin the karma.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 10:30AM

I’m stealing this....I avoid Whole Paycheck

Date: June 01, 2019 11:02AM

"Are you an Amazon Prime member?"
"No, I'm sub-prime."

Consumer Reports studied "conventional" ("UN-organic?") vs "organic" ("un-conventional?") produce, and determined that a good washing in the sink rid produce of most chemical products.

Date: June 01, 2019 12:47PM

sbg Wrote:
> I’m stealing this....I avoid Whole Paycheck

That makes economic sense for you and me, but if caffiend doesn't go to Whole Foods how is he going to show off his latest piercing?

Date: June 01, 2019 01:24PM

I'm a metaphysical, not a cultural, problem there.

Date: June 01, 2019 01:36PM

You have to admit it's an amusing image: caffiend. . . piercings. . .

But ultimately it probably doesn't matter. Who's going to notice a new piercing among all those tattoos?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 01:45PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: June 01, 2019 09:28AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Dunkin Donuts be the shit!
>
> Assuming that you don't do it yourself.

LOLOLOLOL! Y'all cracking me up today!

Date: June 01, 2019 09:32AM

To me, Starbucks has nasty coffee! I'm not paying a fortune for bitter coffee. I get bags of New England Coffee and make it at home. I'll have to agree that Dunkin Donuts coffee is pretty good, but still...
OK, this is making me want coffee, so I'm gonna go take care of that.:)

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 11:00PM

I agree

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:56PM

Use the drive-thru

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 12:01AM

When I was still subscribing to the morgladite's way of thinking, I always looked around the convenience store to see if anyone from the Ward was in there. Then, I'd get half a hot chocolate and half coffee. Again, check for Ward members, and quickly pay and leave. Only one time did I abandon my brew and leave without it. Now? Pishh, I get whatever I feel like.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 12:06AM

Five dollars for a cup of coffee ? Are you kidding ?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 12:10AM

Yes, the place now gives me the heeby jeebies for a completely different reason.

Date: June 01, 2019 12:11AM

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 06:45AM

Nice one!

I was talking recently to a lovely Italian woman (married alas!) about Starbucks. Italians know their coffee, which is partly why Starbucks has barely managed a foothold in Italy. The Italians are the real coffee snobs, but they have every right to be, given they seem to use it better than the countries which tend to grow it. Anyway, she was saying to me how hilarious she finds all the gobbledygook Starbucks uses. They pile on pseudo-Italian words, which are largely meaningless to actual Italians, and I said that a lot of the English phrases that they use are gibberish too.

I tend to drink what they term Americano (espresso with more water) or flat white (white coffee), but will just order black or white coffee. To be honest, I prefer ordering by the type of bean (if I do that kind of thing at all). I'm a fan of Kenyan. Lattes are just vile, like drinking a liquidized cheeseburger.

I don't drink gallons of the stuff though, and only drink it in the morning occasionally. I'm not coffee dependent like many people. My fav thing about coffee is the smell.

I have bought a friend of mine a grinder though. He used to drink that revolting instant stuff. There is a bit more work, but ground coffee definitely tastes better. The instant version he was buying was cheap and nasty.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 07:36AM

I'm a never mo who wouldn't willingly walk into a Starbucks..well unless it was to use the restroom. Their coffee doesn't even deserve the name coffee.

I live near a suburb of Perth, Australia where we have a large number of Italian migrants who moved here after WW2. Hence we have lots of locally Italian family owned coffee shops where the coffee is wonderful.

I recently read that us Aussies and the Kiwis are the world's coffee snobs. :)

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 10:32AM

Lindy I remember when Starbucks first came to Sydney there was a bit of an outcry from the coffee snobs. I think they found that they had to serve more European style rather than American styles since we tend to like it fairly strong espresso style.

I daresay Starbucks has found its niche but the competition from traditional cafes has been fierce. There's some good ones in Perth and Freo, but nothing beats some of the hole in wall cafes in inner Melbourne (our most European city).

With coffee, the café environment is equally imoportant as the brew itself.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 07:53AM

No way!!! NO how!!!

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 09:05AM

I never felt guilty. But my TBM family sure made it a point to make me feel guilty about drinking coffee. #endmormonismnow

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 10:34AM

No, because I always went there for a hot chocolate. But it took some time to quit feeling weirded out going into the liquor store with my Mom.

I still don't drink, but I'm not uncomfortable in there anymore, except for the fact that I always need help when I buy an alcoholic gift for someone because I don't know what I'm doing. LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 10:38AM

My dad drank coffee all my life, so I was used to being around it.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 11:31AM

There was no Starbucks back when I was a TBM. But I felt guilty in restaurants called coffee shops. I even felt uncomfortable when there were coffee cups already set on the table.

Date: June 01, 2019 12:40PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> When you were TBM? How times have changed.

I'd still feel guilty walking into a Starbucks, their coffee is awful! If you can find decent alternatives locally, do! They love frothing everything up - value added like McDonalds filling every cup full of ice so hardly any drink gets in. Or Guinness who actually boast about the size of the head on their beer.

Date: June 01, 2019 01:26PM

What a metaphor for TSCC!

Date: June 01, 2019 01:55PM

Some of the best coffee I've had has been from independent cafés. The trouble is that you don't always know what you're getting from the independents, whereas Starbucks offers predictability. Predictability is not the same as quality.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 01:36PM

Well, do you Karen?

Posted by: got2Breal ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 01:38PM

Yes, not because of caffeine - just because it costs too much!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 01:44PM

Starbucks was not around when I was growing up. Mom was a coffee drinking convert and the church sanctioned use of Sanka allowed her to transition into the church. Temple recommends and the strict adherence to the WoW were not heavily pushed, but strongly encouraged. A lot of members faithfully attended church, but felt that they weren't righteous enough to qualify for a TR. And the church was initially ok with this until the top demanded every member live temple ready.

Now I grew up around the lovely aromas of coffee. My mother brewed her Sanka for herself and my non-member grandmother. All of my non-member friends had parents that brewed coffee in the morning. I had many graded school papers that were smudged with coffee drips.

However, there was one exception that I made. When my grandmother came to visit on the weekends, she would go to a coffee house on one of the days. We had a major chain called "Perkos". I was never comfortable telling anyone (I was in Primary) because both peers and primary teachers would tell me off. I had already been told off for admitting to going into a saloon with my Dad (in a very remote place) for the sake of buying a cold Pepsi.

The church used to really emphasize the AVOIDANCE of the appearance of evil. Now days, I don't think they give a damn as long as members show up for church and pay tithing.

Date: June 01, 2019 03:12PM

messygoop Wrote:
I had many graded school papers that were
> smudged with coffee drips.

So who was doing the homework?
>
> I had already been told off for admitting
> to going into a saloon with my Dad (in a very
> remote place) for the sake of buying a cold
> Pepsi.
>
> The church used to really emphasize the AVOIDANCE
> of the appearance of evil.

That ultra-sensitivity is not restricted to LDS, alas. I helped a woman in my Baptist church move, and showed up with boxes from a liquor store for packing. She didn't want to use them, lest other people think she patronized a liquor store! Sheeeessh...

Just for the record, even though a 12-Step kind of guy, not to mention conservative Baptist, I have no trouble picking up alcohol in my warehouse store for family members--who are also conservative Baptists. I abstain for non-theological reasons.

Attention: Jordan. Consider patronizing a deserving UTAH coffee business, veteran owned and operated. Fringe benefit-- you can pi** off your liberal friends!

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 03:17PM by caffiend.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 05:05PM

Date: June 01, 2019 10:44PM

Date: June 01, 2019 10:51PM

I believe Jordan lives in Canada, so the probability of his procuring his morning coffee in Utah is not high.

Date: June 02, 2019 07:44PM

caffiend Wrote:

> Attention: Jordan. Consider patronizing a
> deserving UTAH coffee business, veteran owned and
> operated. Fringe benefit-- you can pi** off your
> liberal friends!
>
> https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

Thanks I will check that out when I'm next round there. Always good to have word of mouth rec's.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 03:37PM

Not at all! During the winter I would get a caramel apple cider, and during the summer, I would get a smoothie. Sometimes I'd get a pastry.

I still don't drink coffee though. Its taste is not my thing. That's just me. And caffeine makes me lightheaded unfortunately.

Posted by: Recovered Molly MO ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 10:14PM

In my early defection days I was very ninja like about my love of coffee. I even lied once to someone I didn't give a snit about and told them it was hot cocoa in my cup. They didn't even ask! I felt so defensive and didn't need to be.

Now..everyone knows I drink a hot liquid made from magic beans that brings me back to life daily:)

Starbucks is not my personal fave..I like PEETS cafes the best:) Shockingly, McDonalds also makes a decent cup.

RMM

Date: June 01, 2019 10:46PM

Last year I came across three big tins of McD's coffee in Costco, dented and half-off. I bought all of them!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 11:01PM

Had my first cup of coffee when I was 17...zero guilt.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 04:38PM

Never joined the coffee cult. Tastes bad and I don't do drugs.

My daughter this morning mentioned that my son cannot function without coffee - gets irritable.

Why is that a good thing?

Not to mention the expense.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 04:40PM

Well, not all of us can live off bread, water, and over-inflated opinions of ourselves.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 07:31PM

Perfect.

Date: June 02, 2019 07:41PM

ookami Wrote:
> Well, not all of us can live off bread, water, and
> over-inflated opinions of ourselves.

I've got to agree partly with what is said above. I have met many people who tell me they can't function without coffee. I think it is okay to have coffee now and then but to talk of it that way betrays a dependency.

I know people who smoke because it "relaxes them". But if they don't smoke for a while they become very restless, irritable and unrelaxed. What's the point in taking something to get rid of the problem it gives you?

Coffee is best as an occasional luxury. The best thing about it for me is the smell. I've always loved that. But the idea of being a slave to it every morning is not an attractive one.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 05:15PM

Whenever I walk into a Starbucks I always feel like I'm cheating on the Costa coffee chain. :o((

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 03:58AM

I've never had Costa coffee in the US but it's a regular haunt when I'm in Britain. Their coffee is good, especially the flat white. Starbucks coffee, and I use the word loosely, is dire.

Posted by: klsmd ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 07:58PM

I used to give Starbucks Gift Cards to the mishies teaching me. They'd give me a strange look, and I'd tell them that they have bottles of water and juice and cookies and the like. Just keep the card in their wallet for a really hot day or a really bad one that cookies would solve.
One of the kids wrote me months later and said he used the card at the airport while changing planes on his way home from the Mission. :-)

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 11:45PM

Coffee shops used to be nicer before they became so noisy-grinders and loud machines, constantly. I don’t feel guilty going in but I don’t like them because of the noise.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 01:44AM

When I go to a restaurant for a meal (breakfast), I usually order O.J., maybe a hot chocolate.

I'm tending to agree with Free Man, I never liked the taste, but IDK the quality that I tried...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 02:33AM

No!

....mostly because I do NOT go into Starbucks.

My friend runs a sweeper truck. He does not feel guilty about driving backwards through their drive through to clean it up either, but the new help certainly has stupid looks on their faces the first time that they see such action.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 02:37AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> How times have changed.

Oh! .....did you know that DI now openly sells used coffee makers, instead of just tossing them into the trash. My MORmON enforcement agent male parent would $hit if he saw that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.