Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 03:22PM

When I have something I no longer want (or need), I set it on the curb, and behold, it disappears--often before I even get up the next morning.

The last item I set something there--a no-longer needed wheel barrel--disappeared before I got up at 7:00am the next morning. (How many people even have one of these now-a-days?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 03:48PM

a long, long time. Depends on what you put out. My boyfriend had an old TV, though it is a nice TV, but not your NEW TV and I understand cable TV, etc., doesn't work on the old ones now? It was huge. It was sitting on my front porch (my daughter and her previous fiance were supposed to take it when they moved in together, but the marriage was canceled). Anyway, my boyfriend said to put a note on it "free," but I didn't. He took it to the recycle bin for electronics at work.

I did take a couch off my neighbor's hands that the DI DIDN'T WANT! My disabled brother sleeps on his couch and so I usually buy him a used couch like at ReStore as he needs another one every few years (Habitat for Humanity), but this one my neighbors had was in great shape, so I took it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 03:50PM by cl2.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 03:55PM

Here in Henderson, NV you can put anything on the curb and most items disappear overnight.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 05:24PM

Same thing happens here. Stuff disappears typically right away once left curbside.

LOL, once I left a chair out and a neighbor took it. Several years passed, and they left it out, and I took it back. This past fall I set it out again when cleaning out my garage, and it disappeared again as soon as I set it out. Only this time I haven't seen it reappear since. Maybe three times will be the charm?

Some guy was driving around with his wife around the same time and they picked up my old AC window unit I left out curbside. It was like 15 years old when I set it out there. I'd bought it for one of my children when they went away to college. It was a small unit, but it got two kids through undergrad, and then after that I used it at the house, until the knobs started falling off it. This guy picked it up before the recycling did because he said he was going to use it at his shop. Fine with me.

And my old barbecue too, they were picking things up as they went around the blocks, filling up their truck like a couple of junk collectors. Some people do that and maybe they resell it for a profit. Or not. But at least it is going to someone's good cause.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 05:50PM

When I lived in a college town, May and June were prime time for picking up furniture off of the sidewalk. The students were leaving town and shedding excess items.

I put a bunch of items out on the sidewalk when I moved from NYC. I was gratified when two of my own oil paintings were picked up overnight. I didn't think they were my best work, but someone liked them. It made me feel great, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 05:51PM by summer.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 05:59PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was gratified when two of my own
> oil paintings were picked up overnight. I didn't
> think they were my best work, but someone liked
> them. It made me feel great, lol.

A wonderful feeling, and I am so happy it happened for you!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 06:03PM

My brother tried to give away an old couch, put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it.

Stayed on the curb for a few days without any takers.

Then he changed the sign one evening to "FOR SALE, $50".

It was gone the next morning,

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 06:18PM

Polly,

Have you see the prices for wheelbarrows? Yikes! To save $50+ bucks I am sure someone wanted it no matter how worn.

Tumwater, funny!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 06:30PM

If you can't give it to the DI around here, then people consider it worthless. I haven't seen anything I'd take except my neighbor's couch.

One time my sister's dog had several puppies (it was a dog her daughter had decided to take home and then moved out, so hadn't been fixed yet). My nephews were trying to give them away at Target. No takers. My dad told them to put a sign on the dogs that they were $10 each. They were all gone within an hour.

Also, we had a trampoline NOBODY would take. My "ex" put it on ksl.com for $!0 and we sold it immediately.

One of my neighbors, who I don't know, had a leather couch out on the side yard. It was worn, but it would have worked well for my brother, but I didn't dare ask if I could take it. It sat there in the snow for most of the winter. I think it is gone now. I haven't noticed it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 07:14PM

Sometimes I can't be rid of things I even after I call a charity and they say they'll be by at a certain time. I think they don't want to bother with the road situation.

Date: June 03, 2019 07:42PM

Someone found an oil painting in the garbage in Manhattan. Turned out to be an art collector's work, and it sold in the millions! Quite a find.

:)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 08:23PM

This is student neighborhood. The end of August is clean-out time. Not only furniture, but clothing, linens, and even shelf-stable food. I haven't bought shampoo or detergent in years!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 04, 2019 12:23AM

One of the military bases that we lived on had a couple of days each year where you could put out in the curb, things that you no longer wanted that others could take or use if they wanted or needed it. People would drive all over the base neighbourhoods ,looking at what each other had and taking anything they needed.
It helped out a lot of the younger military families , who were the ones mainly taking the stuff. It was always on non trash day.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 04, 2019 12:16PM

Where I used to live, there was a very active free/gift group on FB. There was only one rule - no money. Ever.

You could give anything, even time. You could ask for anything, even time, but no money could change hands was the idea.

I would take a pic, write a description, put it behind the pillar at the house and it would be gone.

Much easier for big items than slugging them to the thrift store

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:27AM

As I was cleaning up my garage work bench (looooong overdue) so I can move my beer fridge on to it, I uncovered another Bof M under a pile of stuff. Thought I'd got 'em all. So this one is headed for the landfill like the rest.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 07:34AM

It wouldn't work round here, all my neighbors know me, and the street doesn't lead anywhere else. We also have heavy penalties for illegal dumping.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 01:30PM

In suburban Phoenix, we have two designated times per year when you can set out stuff that's too big for the regular trash collection. Typically, it sits there for a day or two and folks come by with pickup trucks to pick out the good stuff before the city gets it.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 05:04PM

We have had some robberies in our neighborhood, last November. Garages were broken into, and large items such as power tools, a band saw, snow blowers, and lawn mowers were taken. When my neighbor's expensive new wrought iron patio furniture went missing, he went ballistic. He reported it to the police, posted fliers, and even went around door to door, asking the neighbors if they had seen anything. Then, in March, the snow began to melt, and the patio furniture had been there all along!

The city provides large dumpsters, once a year, and there are always several people in trucks, who come by and sift through the trash, to salvage scrap metal, and parts, etc.

Date: June 06, 2019 05:23PM

I'll be taking another load of stuff to the nearest Salvation Army later today as I'm cleaning through things.

My house is small so I need to constantly clear stuff out to make way for any new purchases or just to minimalize clutter.

For me one of the best investments I've made thus far in my house has been a California Closet. It has made organizing my closet space so much easier. And I was surprised how affordable one of those are to have installed. It was comparable to buying one from the Home Depot or Lowe's and trying to install it myself, which would've been a disaster because I am no handyman.

It came with a lifetime warranty too. It makes it easier for me to sort through closet items and keep things organized better. Almost as good as having a walk-in closet without getting lost in it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.